Killing Me

Pub Date 16 May 2023 | Archive Date 16 May 2023
PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons

Talking about this book? Use #KillingMe #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Utterly original and wildly entertaining, with a protagonist whose life is a total mess, Killing Me is the laugh-out-loud funny thriller that we never knew we needed.

She escaped a serial killer. Then things got weird.

Amber Jamison cannot believe she’s about to become the latest victim of a serial killer—she’s savvy and street smart, so when she gets pushed into, of all things, a white windowless van, she's more angry than afraid. Things get even weirder when she’s miraculously saved by a mysterious woman…who promptly disappears. Who was she? And why is she hunting serial killers?

You’d think escaping one psychopath would be enough, but Amber’s problems are just beginning. Her close call has law enforcement circling a past she’s tried to outrun. So she flees across the country, ending up at a seedy motel in Las Vegas with a noir-obsessed manager and a sex worker as her unlikely companions...and danger right behind. She’s landed in the crosshairs of the world’s most prolific killer, caught up in a deadly game that’s been going on for years. To survive, she's forced to dust off her old playbook and partner with someone she can’t trust. The odds are against her, but sometimes you just have to roll the dice.

She escaped a serial killer. Then...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I read the description and thought that this book sounded right up my alley, so I figured I would give it a shot, not really expecting much. And honestly, I LOVED it! It’s exactly my type of story, and I couldn’t put it down. Almost like a black comedy, this book is dark but also super fun! I’ve been trying to think of a way to explain it, but I’ve come up with- Dexter meets Schitts Creek? Lots of great characters. The plot is a little fantastical, and does require you to suspend belief a little, but I think much less than your normal thriller or romance even. I always find these more light hearted books so cheesy, but can stomach it in small doses. But this book, I swear I don’t remember ever feeling like it was getting cheesy or pandering. And YES I just referred to this book, that starts with a girl being abducted by a serial killer, as lighthearted.
Excellent, excellent book.

Great thriller, and kinda funny too! Never heard of the author but gave the story a try and really enjoyed it, the plot, characters, all of it. Highly recommend! Thank you NetGalley for this ARC

This is exactly the kind of book I needed! Thrillers/mystery are always my go-to read, but I’ve been getting burnt out with all the super dark/depressing plots. This was the perfect serial killer murder meets comedy. The writing was great and kept everything rather lighthearted for its genre. I devoured every word and couldn’t stop until I read it all! One of my favorite reads of the year so far for sure.