On Belonging

Finding Connection in an Age of Isolation

Pub Date 13 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 14 Sep 2022
ABRAMS, Abrams Press

Talking about this book? Use #OnBelonging #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In an age of social isolation, what does it mean to belong?

Humanity is at an inflection point. Stress, disconnection, and increasing environmental degradation have people yearning for more than just material progress, personal freedom, or political stability. We are searching for deeper connection. We are longing to belong.

On Belonging is an exploration of the crisis of social isolation and of the fundamental human need to belong. It considers belonging across four core dimensions: in our relationships with other people, in our rootedness in nature, in our ability to influence political and economic decision-making, and in our finding of meaning and purpose in our lives, with lessons on how to create communities centered on human connection.

A trailblazing advocate and thought leader on questions of social connectedness, Kim Samuel introduces readers to leaders around the world who are doing the work to cultivate belonging. Whether through sports, medicine, music, business, culture, or advocacy, the people and programs in this book offer us meaningful lessons on building a world where we all feel at home.

In an age of social isolation, what does it mean to belong?

ISBN 9781419753039