A Thousand Miles to Graceland

Pub Date 24 Jan 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #AThousandMilestoGraceland #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with sequins and a beehive wig in this sharply funny and achingly tender debut novel about mothers, daughters, and the surprising power of Elvis.

Grace Johnson can’t escape the feeling that her life is on autopilot—until her husband announces he’s done with their marriage. Grace has a choice: wallow in humiliation . . . or reluctantly grant her outlandish mother’s seventieth birthday wish with a road trip Graceland. Buckle up, Elvis. We’re on our way.

Now the two are hightailing it from El Paso to Memphis, leaving a trail of sequins, false eyelashes, and difficult memories in their wake. Between spontaneous roadside stops to psychics, wig mishaps, and familiar passive-aggressive zingers, Grace is starting to better understand her Elvis-obsessed mama and their own fragile connection. She may even have another shot at love. Apparently the King really does work in mysterious ways. But after all these years, will it ever be possible for Grace and her mom to heal the hurts of the past?

CONTENT GUIDANCE: cancer diagnosis/no death, abusive father (told in flashbacks)

Grace Johnson...

A Note From the Publisher

For media inquiries, please email Estelle Hallick, estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

For media inquiries, please email Estelle Hallick, estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 336

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

A Thousand Miles to Graceland by Kristen Mei Chase is a wonderful contemporary fiction that highlights the importance of friends, family, and one’s own happiness in life.

I really enjoyed this contemporary/women’s fiction that focuses on the internal and external struggles of Grace Johnson. The relationship between Grace and her Momma. The road trip was therapeutic in more ways than one. What started as a fun trip to Graceland, turned into so much more.

I enjoyed the balance of fun and light-hearted material in the narrative with the more serious subject matter. The process of working through her own concerns, questions, and place and purpose in life, and the answers that she finds during this road trip was refreshing and warming.

I am looking forward to more from this author in the future.

4.5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Forever ( Grand Central Publishing) for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 1/24/23.

I enjoyed reading about this mother-daughter duo on their road trip. It was nice to see their relationship grow during the quest to get to Graceland. I also enjoyed that the book wasn't just about the two of them - they built other relationships along the way with old friends and brand new strangers who turned into friends. It was a fun read, and I recommend it!

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this ARC prior to its release.

Wow, I knew this was going to be one that hit home, but it was even more than I expected! As a biracial Asian American with parental issues, it was like I could feel everything Grace dealt with. It was crazy seeing my type of experiences fleshed out, especially growing up a minority in Texas! Kristen allows us to step into our MC shoes and feel her guilt of leaving her mother behind, but then also of leaving her husband behind as she realizes she needs more. We realize that love doesn’t always grow just from safety and convenience. We also find out how a mother and daughter can take their shared traumatic past and begin anew after forgiveness and acceptance.
Of course, on top of all that goodness, there is also Elvis, and who can pass that up?

Thank you to Forever and NetGalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for my honest review!

TW: alcoholism, abuse, infidelity, anxiety, cancer

I really had no idea what to expect when i chose this read now book. I am glad I got it though.
I wouldn't call it a fun read but a learning read. I say this because it's about having to learn how to adapt to life's challenges and except each other for whom the other person is/was.
I enjoyed this book a lot! I couldn't put it down. Just some fantabulous writing going on with story for sure and certain.
Honestly this book had me snickering, crying and wanting to hug Grace for her bravery throughout this book.
Y'all sometimes you'll feel like shouting at Grace's mother until you know the real reason why. Then you'll want to cry..
These two ladies are in for a ride of their lifetime and I loved taking it with them. They certainly met some interesting people along the way.
Grace's mom sounds a lot like me though. Too stubborn and hard headed about getting her own way especially when you're on a mission.
This is in my opinion one of the best reads or will be in 2022/2023. I simply loved it and I highly recommend it!
My thanks for a copy of this book. I was NOT required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.

This book was phenomenal. As an elvis fan myself i appreciate a mother and daughter bonding and getting along because of him. And honestly its became one of my favorite books.