The Strange Brew

Sometimes ignoring the dead isn't enough

Pub Date 24 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 03 Oct 2022
The Long Hot Spell, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #TheStrangeBrew #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Dora Hermansen runs a small-town cafe with her husband. Life is ordinary, exactly how she wants it. Aside from sensing ghosts, that is.

Ignoring the dead had been working for her. But with a death in Deepwell, a town with secrets, she has to question. Is her PTSD flaring up again, or are the life-challenged stirring?

Soon someone she cares for is in peril and, when all seems resolved, Dora might still be smack bang in the middle of a dangerous mystery.

~~~

Fresh and creepy, The Strange Brew is a supernatural mystery set in South East Queensland with a distinctly Australian flavour. Strong themes are explored gently through a relatable main character with a tragic backstory. Dora Hermansen is recovering from PTSD after a traumatic event several years earlier.

Surrounded by family and friends, all she wants is a normal life in small-town Deepwell. Dora believes it's possible - after all, she now has a happy marriage and owns a local cafe with her husband, Sayed. Just when things are looking up, she becomes embroiled in a mystery that could topple all she's worked for.

Ignoring the dead had been working for her. But with a death in...

A Note From the Publisher

9780645492200 (ebook)
9780645492224 (hard back)

9780645492200 (ebook)
9780645492224 (hard back)

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Dora Hermansen runs a small town cafe with her husband. Life is ordinary, exactly how she wants it. Aside from sensing ghosts, that is.
Ignoring the dead had been working for her. But with a death in Deepwell, a town with secrets, she has to question. Is her PTSD flaring up again, or are the life challenged stirring?
Read in one sitting really enjoyable read totally recommend
Thank You NetGalley and The Long Hot Spell

Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Pages: 288
Publication Date: Oct 24, 2022
Author: M.N. Cox
Dora Hermansen just wants a normal life. She runs a coffee shop in Australia with her husband. Has a dog. Owns the apartment above the coffee shop.

Senses ghosts.

An event in her past has given her PTSD which allows her see and sense the dead. She tries to ignore them and lead a normal life. Until her past is drudged up once again, vaulting her into the supernatural whether she likes it or not.

A cozy supernatural thriller set in Australia, this book has everything I was looking for a more. Very compelling read and kept me interested all the way through!

Thank you @netgalley and The Long Hot Spell Publishing for this ARC.

this was a well done mystery novel, I was invested in what was going on and enjoyed the tense atmosphere going on. The plot was really well done and it had a great blend of mystery and scifi elements, I enjoyed what was going on in this book. The characters were what I wanted and I really enjoyed getting to know them. I hope there is more in this universe.

"Walking over to the open window, legs twitchy, I was determined to shut itβ€”as though putting the window back into its default, closed position could put everything right. As I pulled on the old brass handhold, the frame ran roughly along the sashes. The movement felt jagged as it caught on the decade’s worth of paint that lined its inner grooves."

An excellent paranormal mystery - thriller … well written, well-paced and a wonderful story. Dora and Sayed run a small-town cafe and want a normal life, but Dora is a sensitive and has ghostly visions of dead people. Their lives are thrown into turmoil when danger comes visiting with the 'ghosts'. The novel has aspects of happiness, humour, sadness, secrets, and surprises that successfully bind the story together. There is also an overall feeling of healthy support in a small community. A very enjoyable novel worthy of five stars.

What a brilliant book! I don’t read that many paranormal mystery books like this but I think I might need to start! This book was amazing! Everything was so cleverly thought out and the plot twists were exceptional! The writing was so good and I was genuinely terrified so many times! I never saw what was coming next and it kept me gripped the whole way throughout. The epitome of the perfect paranormal, mystery, thriller. Absolutely loved it! Would highly recommend!