Device Free Weekend

Pub Date 28 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 23 Mar 2023

Seven friends, one eccentric billionaire, an all-expenses paid reunion on a private island with one catch: no phones, tablets or laptops allowed. It’ll be a weekend to remember--for those who make it out alive.
Ryan Cloverhill, founder and CEO of the world’s most popular social media platform, invites his six best friends from college to his home on his private island near Puget Sound. For Stephen, Emma, Perry, Will, Beau, and Lainie, day one is just what the doctor ordered: amazing food, many drinks, lots of laughter, and a sunset cruise around the island aboard their host’s custom Van Dutch 55.  Day Two, however, takes a bewildering turn when the six hungover guests wake up to find that their host has disappeared, along with all connection to the mainland. A touchscreen tablet of unknown make awaits them, blatantly defying the rules of the weekend with its on-screen challenge: Unlock Me! The passcode to the tablet is hidden somewhere in the group’s shared history. But what seems at first like just another silly game turns deadly serious when the group discovers what unlocking the tablet really means. Is it the key to their futures, a Pandora’s box none of them will ever be able to close, or both?   Only one thing is clear: their old friend Ryan has something unthinkable planned. Now it’s up to the six of them to stop him. And when this weekend is over, the world will never be the same.

Advance Praise

"Spectacular. Ominous from page one, tense all the way through, explosive at the end, DEVICE FREE WEEKEND does everything a great thriller should—and a lot more, too. It makes us think about how we live now, and the extra dangers we have created for ourselves."

—Lee Child, #1 bestselling author of the Jack Reacher series

"If Patricia Highsmith and Nelson DeMille and Alex Michaelides somehow united for a three-way collaboration, DEVICE FREE WEEKEND might be the explosive result. A breathtakingly clever, twist-filled thriller that feels exactly right for a weekend getaway. Sean Doolittle always writes the coolest characters. If it wasn’t so dangerous, I’d want to spend time on a private island with these people!"

—Blake Crouch, bestselling author of A Dark Matter and Recursion

“DEVICE FREE WEEKEND is aptly titled. Once I met this rich cast of characters—college friends mysteriously reunited on a rich tech mogul’s private island—I immediately wanted to avoid all distractions and lose myself in this smart, propulsive thriller. Sean Doolittle continues to be one of the most clever and creative crime writers working today.”

—Alafair Burke, New York Times bestselling author of Find Me

"Brutally clever and action-packed, DEVICE FREE WEEKEND is also a wry, warped tale of the tech-heavy world we live in. And it's truly impossible to put down. Pick this one up and you'll wind up spending a weekend without devices ... or sleep."

—Alison Gaylin, bestselling, Edgar Award-winning author of The Collective

PAGES 288

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I LOVE vacation gone wrong stories and this is a totally unique and interesting tale. 7 college friends are brought to the Island that their childhood friend has purchased with the billions he has mae on a META type social media platform. It's not long before they learn that they are there for a purpose other than catching up. Billionaire Ryan is brilliant and he has posed a type of trolley problem for them to solve - right out of one of his favorite ethics activities in college.

Get ready for lots of action and plenty of opportunity to ask, "What would you do?" If you love a vacation -gone-wrong, a unique thriller and a crazy page turner, Device Free Weekend is for you!
#GrandCentralPub #DeviceFreeWeekend #SeanDoolittle

I would say this book is about 50% thriller 50% mystery. I literally could not put it down for two days and I was not disappointed with the ending, it was amazing.

This gives very one on one by Ruth Ware vibes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was quite compelling and I couldn't put it down! I just wanted to see what was going to happen next!