Secrets Between Friends

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 08 Nov 2022
Amazon Publishing UK, Lake Union Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #SecretsBetweenFriends #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The old house hides her darkest secret—and there’s no running away this time…

So when news arrives that Tamsin, too, is returning to Easthaven, Liz fears their reunion will bring the awful truth spilling out into the open. But when she finally meets Tamsin, now mistress of the clifftop house whose locked gates have guarded the friends’ secret all these years, she’s in for a surprise. Tamsin looks different, and she doesn’t remember Liz, let alone what happened that night…

Something is clearly wrong. But confronting Tamsin means reliving the nightmare Liz has been running from for twenty years. Can she risk exposing what happened that night, knowing that the truth will destroy everything?

The old house hides her darkest secret—and there’s no running away this time…

A Note From the Publisher

Tracy Buchanan is a bestselling author whose books have been published around the world, including chart toppers My Sister’s Secret, No Turning Back, Wall of Silence and Trail of Destruction. She lives in the UK with her husband, their daughter and a very spoilt Cavalier King Charles Spaniel called Bronte.

Before becoming a full-time author, Tracy worked as a travel journalist, visiting and writing about countries around the world. She has also produced content for the BBC and the Open University, and rubbed shoulders with celebrities while working for a London PR firm.

When she isn’t spending time with her family and friends, Tracy spends her days writing with her dog on her lap or taking walks in forests.

For more information about Tracy, please visit www.facebook.com/TracyBuchananAuthor and www.tracy-buchanan.com.

ISBN 9781542032223
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)
PAGES 254

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review. Thanks to the publisher for the electronic copy. Friends...secrets...love and romance...enemies...red herrings...mystery...intrigue...the past and the present...what could happen next? This is a question that is asked often when reading this book...also...What did happen? This is a talented author in weaving a story that is fiction but reads like nonfiction. It could happen...it probably did happen...I liked the writing style of this author...enjoy.

Liz is returning to Easthaven after a terrifying incident sent both she and her friend, Tamsin trying to get as far away as possible, twenty years ago. Now, Lynn is facing a custody battle over her two daughters and a nasty divorce. Easthaven is the last place she wants to be, but it’s the only place she can go. And it turns out that Tamsin is back too – the only problem is that she doesn’t look anything like the girl Liz remembers, and she has no memory of Liz or what happened all those years ago.

Wow what a book thank you ever so much for the opportunity to review. I could not put it down. Would definitely recommend to others

Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for the opportunity to read Tracy Buchanan's Secrets Between Friends. Very enjoyable!

Really enjoyable read totally recommend
Thank You NetGalley and Amazon Publishing Uk
I just reviewed Secrets Between Friends by Tracy Buchanan. #SecretsBetweenFriends #NetGalley

If you are looking for a good mystery, look no further.

They say to never judge a book by its cover, but something about the picture of the mysterious house on top of the cliffs is exactly what drew me in…and I am so glad it did. This was my first time reading a book by Tracy Buchanan, and I can’t wait to go read more of her works. I learned Tracy Buchanan is a talented author who uses just the right amount of descriptive language to make you feel like you are walking the streets of Easthaven without boring you with too many details.

Without giving too much of the plot away, “Secrets Between Friends” follows two friends, Liz and Tamsin, who haven’t seen each other in twenty years. The book dives right into the big mystery in their past, just as a new mystery begins to unfold in the present. I was so enthralled with the past and present mysteries that I couldn’t put the book down because I had to know what happened 20 years ago and what was wrong with Tamsin in the present.

Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the copy of Secrets Between Friends. This is the third book I have read by Tracy Buchanan and my favorite so far. The writing was so good I couldn’t wait to see where the story was going.The past narrative was more engaging than the present one because the relationships between Tamsin, Liz and Gabe were perfectly rendered. I hated reading the interactions between Liz and her mother but it gave a lot of insight into Liz. If you want a book that will keep you guessing this is a great book for you!

Twenty years ago, the main character in this suspenseful book, Liz, leaves her home and the mysterious Lakewell Manor. She and her girlfriend, Tamsin, were involved in a murder of a young man that they had befriended that summer. In the present, both have returned but under much different circumstances.. Missing people, previously long held secrets are bought together in this must read mystery. I will highly recommend to anyone who loves a good story.

Thanks to NetGalley, Tracy Buchanan and Amazon Publishing UK for letting me read “Secrets Between Friends” in exchange for an honest review.

Twenty years ago, Liz and introverted Tamsin strike an unlikely friendship. In Tamsin and her mother, Liz finds something she has never experienced, a loving mother daughter relationship. But every relationship has secrets, right?
Young and wealthy Gabe joins the duo and ends up disappearing. What does our duo have to do with it?

Both girls leave Easthaven behind them, only to return some twenty years later. Liz’s dream of being a successful journalist have failed. Her marriage ended in a nasty divorce and she is back where it all started, living with her mother. Liz works as a postal worker with dubious reputation.

Then Tamsin returns and the women meet again. Something weird happens the day after, Tamsin has changed. Not only so in appearance but also on behaviour. Something is up, and Liz starts to investigate.

In the beginning I really had trouble with Liz. She is nosy and I can’t explain it, but she does not come across as very serious. She is almost comical in an unintended way. But she grew on me. I still found her strange at times, but she had balls after all.

The story is solid and written fluently. The narrative changes between present and past. We get to meet a set of weird and quirky characters. Liz’s mother is just so cringe worthy, you can’t help to feel bad for Liz.

I am not the biggest fan of the citizen gone investigator trope. Yes, she solved the case, but it’s not what I go for in books. It was too much of a cosy mystery for me. I am not saying the book is bad, just not my style.

In "Secrets Between Friends," we meet a down on her luck single mom named Liz, just trying to make it through the day. She has two sweet daughters, an ex who wants full custody and a mom/grandma who is mean and spiteful. Liz has moved back into her mom's home to keep her family together and has a job delivering mail. When her old friend comes back to town, old memories get stirred up. Liz falls back on her investigative journalism skills to find out what is going on at the crumbling old house on the cliff and why her old friend seems so strange. Painful memories get stirred up and a cast of characters stand between Liz and the truth. Almost no one is who they seem in this mystery.

I found the story in 'Secrets Between Friends' to be interesting enough to keep me reading, even if some of the characters seemed a little cliché. Some phrases were repeated enough to be a distraction, but that may be a personal thing for me. Overall, a quick read that satisfies.

An intriguing read which was enjoyable as i was constantly changing my mind about what had actually happened twenty years ago. This was not revealed until almost the end.
Very strong characters, horrible mother, annoying ex husband but i found it a little far fetched towards the end.
My thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an advanced copy.
Overall a decent read.

I love this author, so always pick up her books. This one is quite slow, and the drama of it all not that shocking...that might just be because so much is being done in thrillers right now. Certainly, most of this authors books are 5 star reads, but this one fell a little short for me. I would always read this author again though.

I absolutely love this book. It is strong female characters and plot what really draws you in from the beginning. I absolutely couldn’t wait to find out what happened and was not disappointed.

Unfortunately this book was rather slow for me. I tried to keep with it but I kept getting sidetracked. It will appeal to readers who prefer slow, easy reads.

“Secrets Between Friends” by Tracy Buchanan is a mystery. It wasn’t quite what I expected, to be honest, but that’s not a bad thing. I was expecting a bit more of a thriller aspect - and there is some - but this read more as a mystery to me. I liked the dual time line and it was easy to keep “now” apart from “then. I also liked the suspense regarding what happened in the past and how that was being played out against the present. I also liked the over-arching story arch - it was a good idea and interesting. But, this book felt flat for me with some of the twists taken, some of the red herrings thrown in, and some of the conclusions for the characters. I liked that the main character was a postal employee - rare to see in novels these days. While the main character’s mother and ex-husband were there for drama, for me they seemed “mean/bad” because they could. Again, great idea and it was an interesting read, just not quite what I was expecting.

I really enjoyed reading this one! It was thrilling and awesome, and full of twists you couldn’t imagine coming!

I really enjoyed this psychological thriller. It was a quick read for me .It kept me guessing til the end.I recommend this book. 4 stars .I would read other books by this author.Thanks to the publisher & author for this ARC.Also thanks to Net Galley .My honest review in exchange for this ARC has been provided.

This was a great mystery. I was pulling for Liz to have a happy ending and wanted to find out what really happened twenty years ago.

Liz is living back in Easthaven after a nasty divorce. She’s trying to keep custody of her two daughters and dealing with living in the same house as her mean-spirited mother. Her job as a Royal Mail carrier gives Liz the opportunity to visit community members and keep tabs on what’s going on in Easthaven.

Tamsin’s family owns Lakewood Manor. Her mother recently passed away and now Tamsin has returned to Easthaven. She and Liz were inseparable as teenagers. The girls share a tragic story and secrets that they would prefer stay hidden.

When a mystery threatens to reignite an old mystery, Liz fears the truth will come out. Tamsin has changed and Liz fears for her safety but can she save her without revealing everything?

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

I received an ARC of, Secrets Between Friends, by Tracy Buchanan. Liz is haunted by her past. When Tamzin and her old friend Liz meet again, they wonder if their secret will come out. I thought it was an ok read.

Secrets Between Friends is a delicious mystery with a big old house set behind a locked fence where no-one can come in.
When the current owner of Lakefield Manor, Tamsin, was younger she was great friends with Liz, who reveled in the mother daughter bond that they shared with her. A new friend, Gabe, joined the friendship - but then disappeared.
Liz has come back to town after a failed marriage and career, to live with her mother. She is reluctant given what happened to Gabe - it is not clear if she and Tamsin had something to do with it but it appears so. They certainly know what happened.
When Liz reunites with Tamsin things are very strange. Her friend has no memory of the past and seems quite different.

The story is told in the past and the present - I preferred the past story but the greatest mystery is in the present.

A good mystery - would be best read with a storm outside and a blanket on your lap. And a hot beverage of course.
Thanks to the author, Netgalley, and the publisher for this advanced reader copy

I was worried at first about the direction this story was headed, but I shouldn't have doubted this author! Liz is a mail carrier who has recently returned home to Easthaven with her two daughters after a bitter divorce. They have moved back in with her mother and I'll tell you, as bad as the situation was with her ex-husband, it couldn't have been worse than it is with her mother! She's a terrible, nasty woman who insults Liz non-stop, even in front of Liz's teenage daughters. She's a perfect example of a character that you love to hate!

So Liz is excited to hear that her old friend, Tamsin, is also back in town. They used to hang out all the time as teenagers in Tamsin's huge home on the cliff, Lakewell Manor. Not only did Liz get along well with Tamsin, but with her mother, too. When she was at Lakewell, she felt like part of a real loving family, something completely foreign to her. But then came the night that changed everything. Tragedy tore her idyllic summer apart and now that she's back home, she's constantly bombarded by those bad memories. However, she tries her best to push them aside and reunite with her old friend.

She meets with Tamsin briefly but they don't have a chance to really connect before the visit is cut short. It's when Liz goes back another day that she senses a change in Tamsin. Why does everything about her seem slightly off now? She looks a little different and acts a LOT different. She almost seems like a different person...

Now the story really takes off, and it's impossible to stop racing through the pages to reach the end. And then just when you think it's all been explained...there's more! And it keeps happening! Don't kid yourself that you have this one figured out, because you don't. It's an awesome end to a amazing story - do not let this book pass you by!

So first thing first, I really really enjoyed this story, it was highly captivating, dramatic, intense and emotional in places, i could not turn those pages fast enough, just brilliant. It truly was well written and the characters are all so very well portrayed and believable.

There is a mix bag of characters in the story, all of whom I enjoyed getting to know and then trying to figure out if they were being honest, lying, untrustworthy or up to know good. There were times when I just didn’t know who to believe.

I liked how the talk was told from the past and the present, it really gives the story depth as well as being immersed in the background story of the past. I absolutely loved the mystery side to the story and couldn’t wait to see how the story played out and how the mystery became solved.

So if you are looking for a mystery sort of story that evolves around a tragic event in the past that never goes away in the small community of Easthaven and comes back for its revenge in the present, then look no further and be sure to give this book a go.

I have been a fan of Tracy Buchanan for a few years now & was thrilled when Netgalley sent me to ARC of Secrets Between Friends in exchange for an honest review. The first 25% wasn’t too interesting & a bit of a different read, set in England & whatnot. BUT I’m glad I stuck with it because when you get a bit further into the book, it grabs you & wont let you go. It was a different premise as well. Again, the first portion of the book may drag a bit but once past that, Secrets Between Friends does anything but. If the description appeals to you, get it & stick with it & you’ll certainly be glad you did!!

Nothing is quite what it seems in this novel. The main character is Liz, working as a postie but a journalist at heart. Her best friend from their teenage years returns to the village after 20 years but is she really who she says she is? What really happened 20 years ago that they have kept secret? Read on to find out!

Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the eARC.
This was a pretty good read, I really enjoyed it.
Liz is back in Easthaven after her divorce and her 2 daughters and her are living at her mum's, who is a really nasty woman. Liz is a 'postie' delivering the local mail, not the job she envisioned 20 years ago, but needs must.
Her best friend from 20 years ago is back too, but there's something off with her and Liz is determined to find out what.
It's an excellent mystery and I liked Liz, although I wish she had stood up to her mother and ex-husband more.
Sit back, relax and enjoy!

Great story! Thank you NetGalley and Tracy Buchanan. I began my reading of Tracy’s work with the Forest Grove trilogy, which I did like, but love? No. Secrets Between Friends was better, much better constructed and voiced. Did I love it? Still no love, but a big sincere like.

The protagonist, Liz, a bit of a busy-body living with her horror of a mother in a job as a small town mail carrier. She’d fallen from grace, lost her job as a journalist and was involved in a custody fight with her ex-husband. You’d think she keep a low profile, but no she has a 20 year old friendship that she feels compelled to involve herself in that ended in a big secret. Now, back in the place things had gone wrong Liz stumbles onto some suspicious persons and events that threaten to turn her life on its ear.

Will she mind her own business to keep custody of her daughters? Will the community rally around her? Will her old secrets be revealed? You need to read this one.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the nice neat ending. Hope you will too.

Clearly Woven Suspense,,,
Cleverly woven suspense where nothing is as it seems. What really happened at Lakewell Manor twenty years ago? Being forced to go back after all that time, Liz isn’t sure what to expect but the ghosts of the past lurk around every single corner. Only she and her former friend Tamsin know the truth and Liz is about to meet her again. Or is she? With a menacing underlying current of tension, a well drawn backdrop and an atmospheric narrative this is a gripping and immersive read.

Twenty years ago, Liz became fast friends with Tamsin, who lived in the sprawling cliffside Lakewell Manor. At the manor, Liz finds everything she isn’t getting at home – friendship, a loving maternal figure in the form of Tamsin’s mom, and even a budding romance with a handsome and mysterious young man. When tragedy strikes, all of the relationships Liz cherishes are destroyed. Now two decades later, Liz is a postal carrier (a postie! 😊 ) who keeps tabs on the residents of Easthaven while she delivers the mail. Tamsin has just returned to their small town, but something about her seems more than just a little off. What on earth is going on? Liz is determined to get to the bottom of things!

This is a solid story that leans more toward cozy mystery than thriller. Tracy Buchanan has a gift for writing small towns and quirky characters. Liz is appealing albeit a little odd, and I would have loved to see her weirdness and unreliableness fleshed out even more. You can’t help but feel sorry for Liz’s situation with her over-the-top horrible mother and custody dispute with her ex. The story is told on dual timelines, with the past holding my interest more than the present. Overall an enjoyable read that’s perfect for readers who like their mysteries and thrillers on the lighter side.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for providing me an advance copy of this book.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC to read and review.

While this wasn't my favorite Tracy Buchanan novel, it was certainly worth sticking with. I felt it started a little slow and contains a lot of unlikeable characters...Liz's mother is emotionally withdrawn and unloving, Scott, Liz's ex is trying to gain custody of their two daughters and the townsfolk are just mean. Despite something clearly being wrong with Tamsin, Liz doesn't go to the police because she is afraid a 20 year old secret will come out in the open.

I enjoyed the past/present way of reading the story and that helped weave the mystery of the current and past events together. Despite not being a dramatic enough mystery for me (we know all along what has happened 20 years prior) there are some surprises that come out towards the end. Overall, a quick read with a tidy ending.

Thanks to netgalley and publishers for allowing me to read this ARC.

This being my first read by this author. It took me sometime to get into it. Very slow going . But once 28 percent in . I raced through . A good mystery, especially if read whilst a storm is going on outside ,which in my case it was. 3✨️✨️✨️

20 years ago, Liz and her best friend Tamsin, shared a tragic incident that shaped both their lives. They went their separate ways, with no intentions of ever coming back to Easthaven. Now Liz, plus her two daughters, has had to come back home following her divorce, to live with her bitter, unsympathetic mother. Liz is totally surprised to see Tamsin back at Lakewell Manor, and that the second time she sees her, Tamsin seems to have completely changed from the woman Liz had met a couple of days earlier.

I liked the premise of this book, two friends, scarred by a tragedy, returning to the area despite everything that has happened. Unfortunately, for me, Liz is not a very likeable character, her mother feels like a caricature of an evil, unfeeling parent and I was surprised that Liz hadn’t been sacked by her boss several times over. As the story went on I did become more invested in it, but also more frustrated with Liz's behaviour. It was a bit predictable the way the plot was going but I was pleasantly surprised with the plot twists at the end. Nicely written, just not the book for me.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Thanks NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Tracy Buchanan for the opportunity to read this book!. 20 years ago three friends meet and things go wrong. The book alternates between the past and present lives of Liz, Tamsin and Gabe.
I really enjoyed reading this, it was full of surprises. Totally a 5⭐️ read!

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from Amazon Publishing UK and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Settle in for the day to read this one.

I have mixed feelings about this book as I did really enjoy the majority of it. I liked the back and forth between the two timelines and I was invested in what had happened in both. The main character Liz was engaging and interesting and the mysteries involving Tamsin were intriguing. It was just the final reveal and action scenes that I wasn’t overly keen on, it was just a bit unbelievable and too neatly wrapped up. I thought it was going to be a bit darker and more tragic. This is the first book I’ve read by the author but I would definitely read more as it’s in the vein of Amanda Jennings and Eve Chase who I love and I know lots of other people would enjoy the ending.

This was a new author for me . I never read anything from this author before but for the most part I really liked this book. I thought the whole story was amazing. I honestly didn’t want this book to end. I can’t wait to see what this author comes up with on the next book they write. I usually judge a book from the cover because for me it shows if it’s going to be interesting or not and I loved the book.

Liz sees the return of an old friend, Tamsin, to a small seaside town. They share a secret from twenty years before that seems to be coming apart at the seams.

While the plot was solid and well thought out, the devil is in the details, and there were problems with the characters , dialogue, and some ideas didn'tn pan out well.

******Spoilers*******

Liz wasn't sure that Tamsin had been replaced with someone else even though she spoke to her before the body switch. However, she managed to recognise Gwen from a photo even without wig and makeup. Did Gwen really look that much like Tamsin to be able cause such a confusion? Gwen looks like Tamsin and Carl looks like Gabe. Really?

Gabe replaced the ring with an duplicated fake. How was that even possible? A fake that good would still cost a lot of money, which Gabe presumably did not have.

Tamsin was in love with Carl who was a ringer for Gabe. Wouldn't she question that? What a coincidence that Gwen happened to be Carl's girlfriend and Gabe's sister and enter Tamsin's life to swindle her again. And Gwen was dating Carl who looked like a grown up Gabe. Insest much ? I think it would have been more reasonable to have Carl be one of her six brothers than her lover.

Liz was very Harriet the Spy, and it was vague about all the trouble she had got up to previously. She seemed like a great person, albeit too sweet and patient when it came to her mother. And too silly when it came to her notebook and snooping.

Scott at the end turned out to be sweet. Really? After all his weasely antics we are supposed to buy that he had such a change of heart?

Lester swooped in at the last minute to help save the day. How convenient that he was on hand to give his testimony about how Gabe really died, and the police were on hand to hear all of it.

******** End of spoilers *******

These situations, amongst many more of them, were just poorly done. The story itself is great but many details are not tight enough or explained well. This feels like an uncorrected first draft that still needs to be polished (and maybe it is still in the editing stage), but the potential for it to be great is there.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to advance read.

Tracy Buchanan’s latest book “Secrets Between Friends” is my first book by this author. Liz became friends with Tamsin over 20 years ago and this book tells the story of their friendship over the years. They shared a tragic secret. Lots of secrets to be had. And nothing is as it seems. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the early release of this book. All opinions expressed are completely my own.

This story is about two friends, Liz and Tamsin, who haven’t seen each other in twenty years.
The plot jumps right into the enigma of the two friends past just as a new mystery begins to unravel in front of them in the present.
I really enjoyed the jumps from past and present, the past having a big impact of the situation of the present.
Really well written with a gorgeous cover which makes you want to dive straight into the book

Book Title: Secrets Between Friends
Author: Tracy Buchanan
Publisher: Amazon Publishing UK ~ Lake Union Publishing
Genre: Mystery
Pub Date: October 25, 2022
My Rating: 3.3 Stars

Twenty years ago, Liz became friends with Tamsin, who welcomes her to her home in Lakewell Manor. There, Liz finds everything she isn’t getting at home – friendship, maternal comfort with Tamsin’s mother, and even a budding romance.
However, something happens that destroys all these relationships.
Now two decades later, Liz is a postal carrier and is able to watch the residents of Easthaven while she delivers the mail. Tamsin has just returned to their small town, but something about her seems more than just a little off.
The characters in this were indeed unique, some are fakes, and most are unlikeable including our protagonist ‘Postie’ Liz. I am sure any mail carrier can write stories about the folks living in their area but it probably is a good idea not to do so!!!
Have to admit they kept me curious. I did enjoy it ~ well most of it.

I did enjoy reading the authors acknowledgments and was sorry to hear about the death of Ms. Buchanan mother, who died of lung cancer. She mentions that is was difficult writing while she was experiencing such grief but her supporters kept her going. She writes more about this in her blog “The Sunny Spot”.

Want to thank NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK ~ Lake Union Publishing for this early eGalley.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for October 25, 2022

This is a good read with a mystery at its heart. The characters were okay but I did not warm to all of them. The book has a good pace and I mostly enjoyed it.
Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance copy.

Summary: Twenty years ago, Liz left Easthaven to escape the memory of one tragic night at Lakewell Manor. Only she and her best friend Tamsin saw what really happened, and in the aftermath they drifted apart. Now she’s forced back after a nasty divorce, with two daughters in tow, the shadows of that terrible night lurking on every corner. With a custody battle looming, she’s one wrong move away from her life falling apart completely.

I was initially drawn in to Secrets Between Friends for the spooky sounding premise, but this one took me a long time to get into and a long time to finish. (and I think Liz struck me as too creepy in the beginning). I judge books partly by their "unputdownability," and unfortunately, I just spent too much time putting this one aside for other things to read.

Thanks very much to Lake Union Publishing for making this available to read for review through NetGalley.

The Prologue begins 20 years ago, when the narrator and we witness the aftermath of a horrible crime, as the battered body of a young man is consigned to the waves. This chapter was very intriguing and reeled me into reading the rest of the story.

Liz once dreamed of being a journalist; now she is a divorced postie, delivering the mail in her hometown of Easthaven, England. Fighting a legal battle with ex-husband Scott Thomson for the custody of teenage girls, Ruby and Mia, she is constantly belittled by her wheelchair-bound mother who has always been mean to her.

Liz doesn’t need any more drama in her life. But that’s exactly what she gets when her former best friend Tamsin Lakewell, now a famous poet, returns to Lakewell Manor along with her fiancé Carl to grieve the death of her mother. The two haven’t seen each other in 20 years, not since the night Gabe Arnaud, the man they both loved, died a horrible death.

Friendless and lonely, Liz takes the opportunity to re-connect with Tamsin, but discovers, a day later, that there is another woman in the house pretending to be Tamsin. She decides to resolve the mystery. Who is Fake Tamsin, and what has she done with Tamsin? More importantly, is the secret that Liz and Tamsin have hidden over 20 years about to destroy them?

The book is written in the first person present tense PoV of Liz Barrowman, now and 20 years ago when she was only 16.

The description of Easthaven was lovely. The sense of intrigue and mystery were handled deftly. The links between the past and the present were handled smoothly. The narrative was well-paced, with details peeled off bit by bit. We never find our interest flagging. The writing was good. Here’s a sample of the prose:

Sitting with the very poison ivy that tangled its limbs around my own childhood.

There’s only so many times woodworms nibble at a piece of furniture before it begins to weaken.

The creative arts and social media play a big role here with a lot of the characters pursuing their creative side. Liz wants to be a journalist, Tamsin writes poetry, Ruby has a Tik-Tok channel called Young, Beautiful and Dead, and Gabe is a photographer and an aspiring novelist. Minor characters Imogen and Celia are social media influencers.

Liz has a good sense of humour and is sensitive. She was a flawed, all-too-human character. Her actions, guided by love for those she cared for, weren’t always sensible. Her troubles kept increasing, causing us to remain invested in her. Another positive attribute of hers is that despite having an emotionally abusive mother, she is a loving and supportive mother to her own daughters.

All this I figured out later. Initially she didn’t come across as a likeable character, with her penchant for making notes on people’s personal lives, and what appeared to be, until we got details later, snooping into people’s private correspondence.

Liz’s mother was an awful character. She constantly belittled her daughter and idolised her cheating ex-son-in-law, Scott.

The final change of heart that Scott has is unconvincing.

The characters were a little hard to like in the beginning but my curiosity for how the story unfolds was enough to keep me going. In the end, I didn’t expect what happened to happen and was pleased with the ending. However, it did feel a little rushed and left me with questions. Overall I give 3/5 stars because I couldn’t put it down and had to know what happened. Thank you @NetGalley for the ARC.

Many thanks to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK, Lake Union Publishing for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest thriller/mystery by Tracy Buchanan - 4 stars!

The prologue takes place 20 years ago at Lakewell Manor, where a young man has plunged into the sea to his death - that event split up best friends Liz and Tasmin. In the present, Liz is back in her hometown, living with her two children and her abusive mother, as she is embroiled in a custody fight with her ex. Liz had to give up her career as a journalist and is now working as a "postie" - delivering mail and packages in her neighborhood. She keeps a notebook of all the comings and goings in the neighborhood and sees activity at Lakewell Manor, she encounters her old friend. But on the next visit, Tasmin has changed and Liz knows something is terribly wrong.

The story plays out between past and present from different viewpoints. This was a good mystery and Liz was a somewhat haphazard but fun character. She was loyal to her friend and was desperate to find answers. There were a few moments where credulity is stretched, but it doesn't detract too much from the storyline. I've always enjoyed Buchanan's books and this one is another good read!

Liz's best friend from 20 years ago returns to inherit the Manor House, when her mother died. She now has a fiance, Carl, and is pleased to see Liz. However, the next time they meet she has forgotten their shared past, and missing friend Gabe. What has happened? As Liz investigates, things get dangerous and lots of secrets are revealed.
A great twisty thriller from this excellent author, great read!

Twenty years ago, Liz and Tamsin were friends and Tamsin allowed Liz to stay in her house Lakewell Manor.. After an incident, that both friends want to forget, Liz leaves the small town, leaving behind the memories. Now present day, Liz returns back to the small town and is working as a post woman. As she delivers letters, she meets Tamsin again and something is very off about her.

This was a slow-burn thriller but it actually helped me to get hooked into the story. .The story divides between the present and past twenty years ago and I like how the story was engaging and the author did a good job of drawing the reader into the story. Towards the middle part only it started getting exciting and that was where I got literally hooked into the story. The twist at the end was completely unexpected and I actually liked the ending. This was the second book I have read form this author and I actually enjoyed reading this book as I was hooked into the story from the first chapter till the end!

Overall this book worth four stars.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.

“We’re all in charge of our destinies, Liz with an L. You need to take life by the horns and make it what you want.”

Ever had a piece of clothing with a loose thread? Did you pull at it constantly and then regret it when you saw the damage you’d done? Our protagonist, Liz, is no different. Her determined search for the truth comes at a cost. You’ll have to read to find out if it was worth it. Was she able to live out her childhood advice and take charge of her own destiny? Did she take life by the horns?

Mail carrier, Liz Barrowman is nervous and excited to see her old friend, her bestie, Tamsin Lakewell after so many years. However, when she delivers mail to the clifftop mansion, she discovers another woman there claiming to be her friend.

After Tracy Buchanan’s 5-star suspense series, I really didn’t want to trade Forest Grove for Easthaven. The cover of the book and a reliable author pulled me in but the slow beginning ALMOST caused reader’s regret. Despite something missing, an essential ingredient that the Forest Grove books had that I can’t name, this book grew on me. It has quirky characters, a dark and mysterious mansion, a seaside setting, plenty of drama and …secrets between friends. Thankfully, the suspense ramped up about ¼ of the way through and then my curiosity held me to the end.

I was gifted this advance copy by Amazon Publishing UK, Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.. This is the third Tracy Buchanan novel I've read and the standard is always consistently high. I won't rehash the whole plot except to say that having a postie as a main character is a stroke of genius. Who knows more about a town and those who live in it? Liz the postie is shocked to see her old school friend Tamsin return to the town and even more shocked when Tamsin doesn't seem to know her the next time they meet. This kicks off a chain of events that brings up unwelcome events from the past and some even more unwelcome events in the present.

Secrets Between Friends was intriguing from the start with a satisfying number of twists and turns and juicy town gossip. This was a very absorbing read from the first chapter and kept up a cracking pace all the way through to the shocking ending. I wholeheartedly recommend it..

Straightforward revenge story.
These were the best parts: dual timelines, moral delicate, mother daughter relationships
The parts that make me give this a lower rating:overblown dialogue, very predictable plot, generic characters
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC.

Secrets Between Friends is an atmospheric thriller set at a manor that was home to a tragedy some 20 years ago. Liz, a postal employee, happens upon the manor as there is some activity and finds out some secrets from the past just won't stay dead.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read and review.

3.5 ⭐️. (Rounded up to 4). This is my first book by Tracy Buchanan and for the most part I did enjoy it. It was a quick read. I liked how the chapters switched from past to present. The storyline itself kept my interest from beginning to end. As far as characters go, I know I’m probably supposed to really like the main character, Liz, but to be honest, I didn’t. She got on my nerves a lot. I did feel bad for her many times…her mom was AWFUL! And overall she was a good person and caring mom, but also very annoying. Then there’s REAL Tamsin and FAKE Tamsin, I’m sure you can already guess that I hated the fake Tamsin. And not to nitpick but I also got tired of constantly reading “Fake Tamsin”, it was obvious which Tamsin was being referred to, I didn’t need the “fake and real” in front of her name constantly. 🤣 I didn’t like Douglas or Carl either and I HATED Liz’s mom with a passion…what a cruel and evil person. I liked Lester a lot and Tamsin’s mom.

As far as the ending, I would say it had a few twists in there that I did not see coming. It may not have been super thrilling from start to finish but I do think the ending makes it worthy of bumping up to 4 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. This one will be released on 10/25/22.

To see other reviews I’ve left, check out my Instagram and Goodreads pages.
*Instagram - bookworm_traveler808
*Goodreads - Cherihy808

Liz hasn’t had the easiest life. Growing up, her mother didn’t show her love or affection, instead offering only criticism and anger. Now, Liz has gone through a divorce and ends up having to live once again with her cranky mother. Liz’ secrets from 20 years ago threaten to be revealed and even her daughter inserts herself into the investigation of a young man who disappeared 20 years ago. The ending was a big surprise!