April & Mae and the Animal Shelter

The Thursday Book

Pub Date 14 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 14 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #AprilMaeandtheAnimalShelter #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Fans of King & Kayla and Charlie & Mouse will love this delightful beginning chapter book series that celebrates friendship every day of the week!

It's Thursday, and April and Mae want to help the new animal shelter. Mae is good at helping with her hands, and April is better at helping with her words. While Mae plans a lemonade stand to raise money for cat food, April writes a letter to the newspaper encouraging pet adoption but wonders whether that will make a difference. Mae helps her to see that even little actions can contribute to change bit by bit!

With imagination and humor, Every Day with April & Mae brings all there is to know and love about friendship to life in a way kids can both relate to and learn from making this a perfect fit for young readers ready to step up from picture books.

It's Thursday, and April and Mae want to help the new...

PAGES 48

Send to Kindle (PDF)

este libro nos cuenta de dos amigas que quieren ayudar a un refugio de perros y no saben qué hacer, una de ellas pone un stand de limonada y la otra le quiere escribir una carta al periódico para que las puedan ayudar. me gustó mucho este libro porque puede ayudar a los pequeños a crear consciencia de que los animales también necesitan un hogar y tienen sentimientos.

thanks to netgalley and Charlesbridge for an arc of this book.

April & Mae books are a series of seven easy chapter books by Megan Dowd Lambert for children who have moved up a step from picture books. Each book is about their adventures on a certain day of the week and celebrates a friendship between two girls who are quite different yet can reach agreements about anything, particularly the fact that they love being together. In April & Mae and the Animal Shelter, a new animal shelter has opened and April and Mae want to help the animals there. April and Mae find unique ways to provide assistance to the shelter that are warmly welcomed by the people who run the shelter. This is a wonderful book for beginning independent readers. It has a nice flow, contrasting the two girls and their particular talents, showing that anyone can do something to help if they put their minds to it. Gisela Bohórquez' illustrations are cute, colorful and joyful. The book is a feel-good book perfect for young readers. Many thanks to Megan Dowd Lambert, Charlesbridge Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC.

This picture book tells the story of two friends who both want to help an animal shelter in their own way. April likes to write so she writes a newspaper article, while Mae prefers more hands on activities. She helps by running a lemonade stand. Over the course of the story they are able to complete tasks and help their local animal shelter. One thing that I love is that they are demonstrating real jobs that young children can do to help in their community. I also love that it shows that there are many ways to help, that not everyone has to do the same thing to still make a difference. The text is made up of short sentences mainly made up of sight and decodable words and is a clean and accessible font. The illustrations support comprehension and add to the story. I also really like that the characters in the story wonder and research, I think those are great ideas and skills to incorporate in books for young readers. This book is part of a series and I look forward to checking them all out. As a grade 3 teacher, I would recommend this book to parents and teachers of children in the 5-8 age range. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the chance to read and review this book!

Fun and frolic galore, with a few morals inserted for good measure. I really liked the difference in the two girls' personalities.

An enjoyable book to ready. The ideas presented about various ways to help were easy enough for any child to do on their own and see how it could make a difference. I like that the book presented two different ways to make a difference- in addition to volunteering. Raising money to buy food is something kids may come up with on their own, but presenting the idea of using your words (on paper) to make a difference is great. I had my two kids read this book as well and they enjoyed it.

A charming book for newer readers! The vivid pictures make it super enjoyable and engaging. The message about how we can all help in our own ways was sweet and well done. My six year old also read it, and gave it 1 million stars.

April & Mae and the Animal Shelter by Megan Dowd Lambert is a story of best friends who love their pets and the animals at their local animal shelter. Can they find a way to raise money and help the homeless pets? The story is very simple, the text is basic and the illustrations are sweet. Due to the simplistic text and storyline I think this book is great for reading to pre readers or for very young early readers. I think advanced readers will find this book too babyish. But a sweet story encouraging volunteerism.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with this advanced copy to read and review.