Lia & Luis: Puzzled!

Pub Date 07 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 07 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #LiaLuisPuzzled #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Celebrate diversity, math, and the power of storytelling!

Twins Lia and Luís have received a secret puzzle from their grandma! Can they put it together to read the hidden message? A playful exploration of geometry and sorting featuring Brazilian American characters and a glossary of Brazilian Portuguese words.

Storytelling Math celebrates children using math in their daily adventures as they play, build, and discover the world around them. Joyful stories and hands-on activities make it easy for kids and their grown-ups to explore everyday math together. Developed in collaboration with math experts at STEM education nonprofit TERC, under a grant from the Heising-Simons Foundation.
Celebrate diversity, math, and the power of storytelling!

PAGES 32

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Lia and Luis are twins who get a puzzle in the mail. It is good at thinking aloud how to put a puzzle together in an age appropriate way. There is also good Spanish vocabulary in the glossary. I have never considered puzzles to be math though, so it was strange to see it labeled as math with a topic like that.

lia y luis reciben un paquete de su abuelita y es un rompecabezas que necesitan armar, no saben cómo hacerlo así que empiezan a analizar cada pieza para que embone perfectamente con otra para así reciban el mensaje que su abuelita quería darles. es muy bonito el libro, los dibujos preciosos.

thanks to netgalley and Charlesbridge for an arc of this book.

This book is so fun! Lia & Luís are given a package from their grandmother that includes a puzzle they must solve before they leave. It takes them a while to figure out how puzzles work— it does for my kids too, but eventually they solve it & find out their surprise! I love the way each child works through what is needed to solve the puzzle as well as the activities for math engagement included in the back. This diverse, inclusive book (we don’t own any books that include Portuguese so we definitely need this one) would be a wonderful addition on any child’s bookshelf.

Thank you Net Galley & Charlesbridge for this preview!!

In this picture book two children receive a puzzle as a package and they must figure out how to put it together. They notice that the sides of the puzzle have straight or curved signs and this helps them determine where to place the pieces. The book is meant to be about math and while I can see some connections, I don’t think that it meets very many curricular outcomes. I do think it is a good book and also appreciate that puzzles are a good learning opportunity for young children to practice reasoning skills. As a grade three teacher I would recommend this book to parents of children in the age 3-8 range. Thanks to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.

Kids figuring out how to do a puzzle. Pictures are well done. Little bit of side problem solving. Meh

This book is about how to make a puzzle. It’s quick and simple definitely geared towards younger children.

Lia and Luis have a puzzle to solve. Can they put all of the pieces together before it's time to leave?

This is a sweet story that presents problem-solving skills that kids can use in the real world. While I'd prefer my child to actually work on solving a puzzle, this book also gives the vocabulary she needs to describe spatial reasoning. It also features some Spanish words.

Overall, I would recommend if your child loves puzzles or is reaching the puzzle developmental milestones.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest feedback.

This was an adorable math books for kids. Cute way for kids to learn to do a puzzle and some Portuguese. It includes information on math and a glossary.

Lia & Luis: Puzzled! is a cute and charming picture book that introduces children to the concept of sorting and shapes. The bright and colorful illustrations are eye-catching and the simple prose is very accessible to younger readers.

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. All opinions and mistakes are my own.

What a great idea! I’ve never seen a book explain how to approach doing a jigsaw puzzle, and I love how this is cushioned in a sweet family surprise. Highly recommend!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced e-copy. I’m going to go look up other books in this Storytelling Math series.