The Penguin of Ilha Grande

From Animal Rescue to Extraordinary Friendship

Pub Date 17 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 17 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #ThePenguinofIlhaGrande #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A man rescues a penguin off the coast of Brazil and finds a lifelong connection in this delightful true story about the power of friendship.

When an oil-covered penguin washes up in Brazil, Seu João saves the penguin's life. Soon man and penguin are friends, and Dindim the penguin won't return to the wild. At last Dindim swims away, only to return four months later! For seven years, Dindim the penguin lived with Seu João in Brazil for eight months a year, disappearing for four months after his annual molting.

Readers will enjoy discovering the wildlife of Brazil while learning about the impacts of oil spills and the importance of conservation. This inspiring, true account of real and unusual friendships is sure to win the hearts of nature and animal lovers alike.

When an oil-covered penguin washes up in Brazil, Seu João...

PAGES 32

Our youngest loves penguins and this is a cute book to read to her. I adore the relationship Seu Joao developed with the penguin. This story shows children how we can care for animals too.

The end of the book includes pronunciations, what happened to DinDim and information on his penguin species.

Dindim has a wonderful story and a fantastic life. I enjoyed this book and the information after the story.

This a s great tool to teach children about rescued wild animals and why they belong in their Natural habitat. Dindim was able to return to the sea when he wanted, but was always welcomed back home.

This book tells the story of a Brazillian man who rescues a penguin who is covered in oil. He nurses the penguin back to health and helps prepare him to return to his natural habitat. The penguin, Dindim, chose to stay with the man for a while, but eventually decided to go back out into the ocean. From that day forward he would come and go but always came back to visit the man who rescued him. This story shares the importance of wild animals being wild, yet also shows the ability for animals to show care and loyalty to humans. I could definitely see myself using this story as part of a lesson on protecting endangered animals and the damage oil spills can have on habitats and animals. I think my grade 3 students would really enjoy this book and I would definitely consider purchasing a copy for my classroom library. I would recommend this book to parents and teachers of children in the age 5-9 range. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the chance to read and review this book!

This sweet book told the true story of a man who rescues a Magellan penguin from an oil spill. Illustrations are nice as well.