Laws of Wrath

Pub Date 02 May 2023 | Archive Date Not set

"All thriller; no filler—a white-knuckled treat" —James Patterson

There are those who fight the devil within them. And those who worship it.

The butchered body of a cross-dresser is found in a dumpster in Chinatown, New York. Nothing out of the ordinary for the NYPD, except the victim just so happens to be the brother of Detective Phee Freeman. At first the slaying looks like the random act of a vicious killer, but when it is discovered that there are similar ritualistic murders throughout the city, Phee and his partner Quincy Cavanaugh, along with FBI Agent Janet Maclin, have no choice but to join forces with Dr. Daria Zibik, a brilliant but deranged Satanic cult leader. Phee and his partners must do everything they can to stop the bloodshed and determine if the evil they are hunting and the psychopath they are trusting could actually be one and the same.

Actor, director, producer and award-winning author Eriq La Salle does it again in the second novel of his gritty, tension-packed Martyr Maker series, which will have readers reflecting on the struggle of good versus evil and why it's not always so easy to do the right thing.

Praise for Laws of Wrath:

"Fast-paced... Characters are richly textured [and] none is without faults. Sets the hook for the captivating series." —Kirkus Reviews

"Penetrating and incisive...Laws of Wrath is outstanding fiction, with its basis firmly planted in the nonfictional evil man is capable of committing." —Lee Ashford, Readers' Favorite

"All thriller; no filler—a white-knuckled treat" —James Patterson

There are those who fight the devil within them. And those who worship it.

The butchered body of a cross-dresser is found in a dumpster...

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 352

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

352 pages

5 stars

This book is not for the faint of heart. If extreme violence and gore are not your thing, you may want to pass on this novel.

Mr. La Salle continues his brilliant writing with this latest book. He has a remarkable talent for creating characters who, in spite of their actions, are likable. .None of the people in this book can be labeled as “good,” but they are interesting, engaging and entrancing all the same. I found myself rooting for them to succeed. How off is that? Antiheroes, all of them.

I felt strongly for AJ. For her life - all of it - and her demise. I really wanted her killer caught and punished. I agree with another reviewer that the funeral scene was touching and created a good feeling in me. I could picture every moment via Mr. La Salle’s wonderful ability to tell a story.

The character descriptions in this book are well written and colorful. The reader gets a complete picture of who the person is and what they are about. There are no wasted words. The plotting is linear in structure and all scenes are well described.

I cannot say enough good things about These books and Mr. La Salle’s writing ability. I am sold. I certainly hope he plans to continue the “Laws of…” series. I will gladly wait for the next in this series.

I want to thank NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for forwarding to me a copy of this great book for me to read, enjoy and review. The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own.

Yet another fantastic story from Eriq La Salle! I really like this series. I was so sad for A.J. Not just for her death but her life too. The author did a great job making me want retribution for her, and I even got a little teary at the funeral. The funeral scene was the redeeming scene that I absolutely needed with this story. I am curious if the author will continue the series though, as it is left open to accommodate it. I know there is a third part to this series which is another rerelease of a prequel, but I’d love to read future installments as well!

Huge thanks to Poisoned Pen Press and Netgalley for sending me this ARC for review! All of my reviews are given honestly!