Making More

How Life Begins

Pub Date 07 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2023
W. W. Norton & Company, Norton Young Readers

Talking about this book? Use #MakingMore #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This groundbreaking book from award-winner Katherine Roy explains and demystifies how everything from fish to mammals and plants to insects reproduce.

From fish to mammals and plants to insects, every organism on Earth must reproduce, and the survival of each species—and of life itself—depends on this and on the diversity it creates. In this groundbreaking book, Katherine Roy distills the science of reproduction into its simplest components: organisms must meet, merge their DNA, and grow new individuals; and she thoughtfully highlights the astonishing variety of this process with examples from across the natural world, from plants to insects to fish, birds, mammals, and more.

Lucid, informed, and illuminated by beautiful paintings, Making More weaves a story that seamlessly explains life’s most fundamental process, answers children’s questions, and provides an essential tool for parents, caregivers, and educators.

About the Author: Katherine Roy is the award-winning author and illustrator of many science-based books for kids, including her Robert F. Sibert Award Honor Book Neighborhood Sharks, How to Be an Elephant, and Making More. She is also the illustrator of numerous other books, including Barb Rosenstock's Otis and Will Discover the Deep, Richard Ho's Red Rover, and Kirsten W. Larson's The Fire of Stars

From fish to mammals and plants to insects...

EDITION Hardcover

This beautiful book talked about all kinds of reproduction in living things. It’s very appropriate for all ages and should be a part of every elementary science collection.

This book, clearly a labor of love and hard work, explains reproduction (or as the author refers to it as "making more" ) in a way that is clear, informative, and even has touches of humor. The text is wide=ranging and clever and the illustrations are amazing (insightful, clear, informative, interesting....). It was a pleasure to read such a beautifully designed and thoughtful book. Katherine Roy's unique perspective shines through and captured my interest so that I kept reading without stop. This is a wonderful book to read and share with children and to have on hand for children to read and reread. They will then be able to savor the wonder of how we "make more." Bravo, Katherine Roy!

I was immediately drawn to this book by the beautiful illustrations which continued throughout the pages. Making More is a wonderful but also scientific explanation of reproduction in our world. I enjoyed that it is told as a story, rather than just a book of facts. As I read it, I thought of my own son and how I think it would be the PERFECT book to introduce him to the concept of reproduction. Well done!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️