Pub Date 06 Aug 2013
Patrick Cusimano is in a bad way. His father is in jail; he works the midnight shift at a grubby convenience store; and his brother's girlfriend, Caro, has taken their friendship to an uncomfortable new level. On top of all that, he can’t quite shake the attentions of Layla Elshere, a goth teenager who befriends Patrick for reasons he doesn’t understand, and doesn’t fully trust. The temptations these two women offer are pushing Patrick to his breaking point.
Meanwhile, Layla’s little sister, Verna, is suffering through her first year of high school. She’s become a prime target for her cruel classmates, not just because of her strange name and her fundamentalist parents: Layla’s bad-girl rep proves to be too a huge shadow for Verna, so she falls in with her sister’s circle of outcasts and misfits whose world is far darker than she ever imagined.
Kelly Braffet’s characters, indelibly portrayed and richly varied, are all on their own twisted path to finding peace. The result is a novel of unnerving power—darkly compelling, addictively written, and shockingly honest.
Marketing Contact: Julie Cepler
· National publicity
· National review and feature attention
· Blog tour to literary and fiction sites
· Young to Publishing mailing
· Random House mail drop
· Masthead mailing to MFA programs, literary magazines, at-risk youth organizations, and teen centers
· Major push for IndieBound and "Book of the month" promotions at accounts
· Massive galley outreach to accounts with author profile
· Book group outreach, including corporate book groups
· Read It Forward promotion
· NetGalley promotion with early access e-mail invitations to fiction luminaries, literary magazine staffers, and popular book Tweeters
· Grow online and social media presence in conjunction with author
· Offer author up for guest blogging at accounts and book blogs
· Enrollment in galley review programs
· such as Library Thing and GoodReads
· Academic and Library promotion