The Possibility of Life

Searching for Kinship in the Cosmos

Pub Date 06 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 09 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #ThePossibilityofLife #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

For fans of Ed Yong, Brian Cox and Carl Zimmer: a dazzling scientific and cultural adventure through our ideas about extraterrestrial life and the cosmos

––––––––––––

One of the most powerful questions we ask about the cosmos is: Are we alone?

The Possibility of Life traces our scientific understanding of what and where life in the universe could be, from Galileo and Copernicus through to our current tracking of exoplanets in the ‘Goldilocks zone’, where life akin to ours on Earth might exist. Along the way, Jaime Green studies insights from a long tradition of science fiction that uses imagination to extrapolate worlds, in turn inspiring scientists and their research.

Bringing together expert interviews, cutting-edge astronomy, philosophical enquiry and pop culture touchstones ranging from A Wrinkle in Time to Star Trek, The Possibility of Life delves into our evolving conception of the cosmos to pose an even deeper question: What does it mean to be human?

––––––––––––

One of the most powerful questions...

Advance Praise

'Thoughtful, witty and profound – a dazzling feat of imagination and synthesis that had me hooked from the first page'

ED YONG, author of An Immense World

'Utterly gripping, endlessly surprising… Green is the best company I could imagine for this journey to the limits of what we can imagine'

LESLIE JAMISON, author of The Empathy Exams

ED YONG, author of An Immense World

'Utterly gripping, endlessly surprising… Green...

EDITION Hardcover