Incentive for Death
by James Spoonhour
You must sign in to see if this title is available for request. Sign In or Register Now
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 03 Oct 2023 | Archive Date Not set
On a beautiful spring morning in Washington, D.C., a high-profile attorney is found dead in his office. McDermott “ Mac” Burke and Oliver Shaw, homicide investigators for the Metropolitan Police Department, are called to investigate. There appear to be no signs of foul play, but there is also no obvious sign of a natural cause of death.
The detectives are perplexed until the medical examiner notices a tiny pin prick on the lawyer’ s neck and theorizes that the man was injected with succinylcholine— aka “ sux” — which is a common horse tranquilizer that dissipates quickly in the body.
As Mac and Oliver begin to look further, they discover that the lawyer had sold his life insurance policy to a large viatical company. Then, they realize that more deaths under mysterious circumstances have occurred among those who’ ve sold their policies to the same company.
“An ominous tale about need and greed, the tension ratcheted up by a single question, ‘Are they really going to do that?’ Yes, they are. Enjoy this pulse-pounding treat.” —Steve Berry, New York Times best-selling
“Incentive for Death bring an exhilarating dose of uniqueness to fans of crime fiction. The choice of victims – the murder weapon- law enforcement interactions – interpersonal circumstances. The action is explosive and intense as it plays out on the complicated stage of Washington D.C. A fascinating debut!” —Patricia Gussin, New York Times best-selling author
“With no apparent cause of death, it appears to be the perfect crime. Detectives McDermott ‘Mac’ Burke and Oliver Shaw aren’t buying it. As they meticulously investigate, other victims die. In Incentive for Death, it’s a race against time to unravel a sophisticated plot and stop the killings in this unique Washington, D.C. thriller.” —Shawn Wilson, author of Duplicity
“More than a finely honed detective procedural plump with investigative forensics, Incentive for Death delves into the lives of law enforcement personnel. What makes them tick, the overwhelming desire to take the bad guys—and gals—off the street. The concept of this phenomenal mystery ‘hard-boils’ to a simple phrase: the need for greed.” —Bookreporter
“A riveting, original, and deftly-crafted suspense thriller from start to finish.” —Midwest Book Review
Hardcover PR & Marketing Highlights:
• Mailing of physical & digital ARCs to major trade publications, notable bookstores, book reviewers, social media influencers and digital media
• Submit for BookBub promotion
• Pitch title at Distributor Sales Conference
• Goodreads giveaway of 100 digital copies, 2 months prior to publication
• Advertising in trade publications
• Featured new release in Oceanview monthly newsletter
• E-blast to Oceanview’s email list of mystery, thriller & suspense fans, booksellers, and librarians
• Launch month feature on Oceanview’s social media and website home page
• Submission for award consideration
• Amazon A+ description/feature
• Ongoing co-op advertising with Amazon, Ingram, Baker and Taylor via distributor
• Ongoing submission for special promotions with major retailers
Average rating from 21 members
Readers who liked this book also liked:
Fredric Brown; Dan J. Marlowe; Dorothy B. Hughes; Richard Stark
Mystery & Thrillers