Raccoon

A Wondertale

Buy on Amazon Buy on BN.com Buy on Bookshop.org
*This page contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.

Pub Date 01 May 2023 | Archive Date 31 May 2023
Guernica Editions, Guernica World Editions

Talking about this book? Use #Raccoon #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The dream of an urban paradise comes true for the Raccoons of a small suburban city when they rise up, throw out their government, and create an ecological commonwealth. Touchwit, Clutch and Bandit are prepared to die for a free, healthy, and diverse city. But to earn their self-respect as citizens they must overcome their father Meatbreath, an autocrat obsessed with multiplying himself in a host of weaponised children. And to join a community of kinship they must find their future mates. Will the three cubs use the powers they have inherited from their father without being claimed by his evil? In this sometimes sentimental, sometimes heroic adventure story full of echoes of current issues and political personalities, Raccoons are the leading experts at survival, engaging the struggle for a better Earth with wonder, joy, and laughter.

Advance Praise

“Is it a picaresque adventure story? Is it a revenge drama? an animal fable? a family saga? … a symposium? … Sean has given me to understand that Raccoon is also a roman à clef of sorts – and that I myself am the precocious and devious (although bad) poet Touchwit” – MARGARET ATWOOD

PAGES 200

Funny and heartwarming without feeling forced. I absolutely love the concept of an anthropomorphic raccoon family and their journey in life. My favourite part was Act I and the depiction of the family’s dynamic.