An Imperfect Truth

Buy on Amazon Buy on BN.com Buy on Bookshop.org
*This page contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.

Pub Date 03 Oct 2023 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2023

Talking about this book? Use #AnImperfectTruth #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Dr Claire Roget's patient may have told her last lie, but can the truth about her death be uncovered?

Poppy Kelloway was a liar. Forensic psychiatric Claire Roget's patient made up 'facts' that damaged other families, destroyed relationships and even resulted in an untimely death.

Poppy left a trail of human misery in her wake, but when she's found murdered in her home by her two teenage sons, the savage nature of the attack is still shocking, as is the discovery of a torn appointment card for her next meeting with Claire. Could there be a connection between the murderer and the clinic, and is Claire herself in danger? Claire and Detective Sergeant Zed Willard must navigate dangerous minds and deadly lies in their quest to get to the chilling truth.

PAGES 208

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Thank you NetGalley and Severn House for the eARC.
Forensic Psychiatrist Dr. Claire Roger is horrified to learn of one of her patients, Poppy Galloway, has been murdered in a particularly vicious manner. She was undergoing treatment for her pathological lying that ended up hurting many, even causing the death of one of her victims. She was proud of the fact people believed her and cruelly laughed at them.
Claire is trying to help DS Zed Willard unravel the mystery without getting too mixed up in the process, but it's difficult for her to step away.
I'm not sure I like Claire, especially when it comes to relationships, but found the psychiatry aspect fascinating. She also has to attend a wedding, dreading meeting her mother again - they have a difficult relationship.
It's a good book and the mystery itself is a real puzzler, I couldn't figure it out.
Definitely recommended!

Well written, interesting and engaging!! There is a lot going on in this book and a few too many threads and plot lines but as long as you keep up then it does all work well and comes together nicely. It's more TBA just a murder jystery or a thriller, with all the plot lines then you get a whole host of genres getting a look in. The characters are well written and believable and it's well paced and plotted out so never feels rushed or like it's dragging. I read it a stand alone and really enjoyed it

An Imperfect Truth by Priscilla Masters was a well written and extremely enjoyable story, in fact the book was difficult to put down. Characters were very interesting and very believable. Story keeps the readers interest from beginning to end.
This book kept me enthralled wanting to rush through it to reach the end.
A great twisty read that kept me on the edge of my seat.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Thank You NetGalley and Severn House for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!

I really enjoyed the forensic psychiatrist elements going on in this mystery novel. The characters were strongly written and I was invested in figuring out what was happening. The plot was perfect for the genre and I enjoyed getting to know Claire and her patients.

I found myself quickly engrossed in this book. Is it a patient that is responsible or not? I quickly found like that I liked Claire and I also liked the fact the we get to know a little bit about her as a person and her family life.

I loved how Poppy's lies were unfolded and the pool of suspects was growing as more lies and connections were uncovered. I was not expecting the ending and thought it came together brilliantly.

This is the first book in the series that I have read and I don't feel that not having read the others prior to this had any impact on the story. I am however intrigued to go back and read then to see if there is anything that I have missed about Claire ready for the next book!

If you are into the forensic psychologist books you will love this one! The characters are interesting. I feel like I am just a little too dumb to get some of this book, but I said the same about some pretty legendary books.
I think maybe I need to read this when I am having a smart day.
Anyway, it was good.

Poppy was horrible but she was Dr. Claire Roget's patient and now she's been murdered. Claire must help DS Zed Willard find the killer, who might also be coming for her, even as she deals with family issues of a wedding and her mother. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. I'd not read the earlier books but this was fine as a standalone.

I didn’t know what to expect when I started reading this book but the storyline and well defined characters drew me in from the start. Poppy is dead, killed in a violent attack in her own home but did she deserve it? Poppy is a pathological liar and is receiving treatment from Claire. The police, in the form of Zed, contact Claire and although their relationship isn’t great, they seek the same outcome ie who could have done it and why. Claire has many patients who could have had motive and she tries to work out who may have had opportunity. This is an easy read which is well written and well paced.

3.5 stars - An Imperfect Truth features forensic psychiatrist Claire Roget who teams up with Detective Sergeant Zed Willard and a colleague, child psychologist Saul Magnusson, when one of her patients. a pathological liar, is found brutally murdered. Claire is unsure if Poppy Kelloway's lies have finally caught up with her or if Claire was the real target. At Zed's urging, she agrees to look through her patient files to see if any of them would have a reason to kill Poppy.

This book is part of a series, but I've not read any of the prior books. I didn't always understand Claire's decisions, but her insights into her various patients were interesting. I like when Claire and Saul consult and I wish I she had been more open with Zed and there had been more meaningful scenes between them. I found the pace of the book to be uneven, but it was a unique mystery and I would read more by this author.

I received an advance copy of this ebook at no cost from NetGalley and Severn House, but my review is voluntary and unbiased.

This is an intriguing, gripping, twisty and well written novel. A page turner that kept me reading.
I think there's always an element of darknes in any novel that involves forensic psychiatric as they investigate the darker side of the souls.
It's not the first I read in this series and i can say they're all well plotted stories.
This was fascinating and I strongly recommend it
Many thanks to the publisher for this ARC, all opinions are mine