A Short Walk Through a Wide World

A Novel

Pub Date 02 Apr 2024 | Archive Date 09 Apr 2024
Simon & Schuster Canada, Avid Reader Press / Simon & Schuster

Talking about this book? Use #AShortWalkThroughaWideWorld #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue meets Life of Pi in this dazzlingly epic debut that charts the incredible, adventurous life of one woman as she journeys the globe trying to outrun a mysterious curse that will destroy her if she stops moving.

Paris, 1885: Aubry Tourvel, a spoiled and stubborn nine-year-old girl, comes across a wooden puzzle ball on her walk home from school. She tosses it over the fence, only to find it in her backpack that evening. Days later, at the family dinner table, she starts to bleed to death.

When medical treatment only makes her worse, she flees to the outskirts of the city, where she realizes that it is this very act of movement that keeps her alive. So begins her lifelong journey on the run from her condition, which won’t allow her to stay anywhere for longer than a few days nor return to a place where she’s already been.

From the scorched dunes of the Calashino Sand Sea to the snow-packed peaks of the Himalayas; from a bottomless well in a Parisian courtyard, to the shelves of an infinite underground library, we follow Aubry as she learns what it takes to survive and ultimately, to truly live. But the longer Aubry wanders and the more desperate she is to share her life with others, the clearer it becomes that the world she travels through may not be quite the same as everyone else’s...

Fiercely independent and hopeful, yet full of longing, Aubry Tourvel is an unforgettable character fighting her way through a world of wonders to find a place she can call home. A spellbinding and inspiring story about discovering meaning in a life that seems otherwise impossible, A Short Walk Through a Wide World reminds us that it’s not the destination, but rather the journey—no matter how long it lasts—that makes us who we are.

PRICE CA$25.99 (CAD)
PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I love being pulled into a story. Where I feel that I'm also there and apart of the journey.

I had travelled into a world unlike ours. A world full of fantasy, magic and adventure and travels.

I will not forget this book anytime soon.

Thank you Simon&Schuster and Netgalley

All thoughts and opinions are my own and aren't influenced by anyone else

At the age of nine Aubrey Tourvel realizes she cannot stop traveling. After only a couple of days in one place, her curse or illness causing immense pain and bleeding. The only way to avoid this is to move on every few days. As a child she is accompanied by her mother but then moves on alone accompanied only by strangers she meets on her way. Every once in a while a secret door appears leading her into a library that can even transverse countries, picture stories abound but no people. In this mystical journey we are allowed to accompany Aubrey getting to know her and some of her companions in far away lands. This book seems to pick you up and carry you along on a journey of your own. It was a hard one to put down. I recommend it to any fantasy lover. Our world becomes quite mystical as we travel it through someone else's eyes.
Thank you to #NetGalley#Simon&SchusterCanada#AvidReaderPress for this wonderful EARC

I could give this book all of the stars and it wouldn’t be enough. This is a book where you finish sad that it’s over. You finish and have to sit with the beautiful story that settles both heavily and light in your heart. I’ll be getting a physical book because this is a life book

Walking with Aubry Tourvel through the world was a delight. While it’s a world we know it’s a different world she experiences. A fantastical journey without being a strictly fantasy novel. There are beautiful and heartbreaking secrets, an intimate and full experience of places we’ll never see in such a manner and while the companions are temporary they are brilliant and demonstrate more of the world and humanity. This book is whimsical and does best if you are a passenger princess who wants to follow along for a random adventure.

Thank you NetGalley and Simon and Schuster/Avid Reader for this advanced reader copy of Douglas Westerbekes debut novel A Short Walk Through A Wide World.

“There are things on this earth that only exist because you have beheld them. If you weren’t there, they never would have been.”

What would it take to encounter, up close and personal, and see, really see, the world around you - to appreciate the things you can comprehend, and to open yourself, fully with no holding back, to the wonders you cannot. Both the deadly and the divine.

For Aubry Tourvel, these are not merely philosophical questions.

For Aubry is cursed.

From the age of nine years old, Aubry has been burdened with a mysterious ailment which causes her to experience an agonizing medical decline when she remains in the same physical place for more than a few days. Set in the late 1800’s, Aubry must roam the world - alone and fierce - in an exploratory role unheard of for girls, or even women, of the time. Trapped into a forced lifelong exile that pits her against an entire wide world of jungles, rivers, mountains and deserts, Aubry must face head-on whatever may befall her.

Along the way, Aubry will also learn about love and it’s misfirings, and just what is, or is not, available to her, in her unavoidably nomadic existence. For Aubry, a lifetime’s loss of “home” (and all that it implies) may very well be her permanent future.

Aubry’s story is a strange and colorful one - a meandering fable peppered with fascinating adventures and a myriad of characters she encounters across the globe - ultimately revealing itself to be an enchanting and magical look at human consciousness, our deeply-rooted connection to the wide world around us, the mystifying nature of time, and the sublime miracle of simply “being”.

With big, bold (often wonderfully chaotic) imagery, encompassing vast geographical vistas, amidst an atlas of far-off and exotic locations, this story is an imaginative feast to serve the explorer in all of us.

Destined to please readers of Fantasy and Magical Realism, along with lovers of a good story everywhere, this book a sheer delight, and one this reader found herself savoring in a single read almost straight through.

A great big thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for an ARC of this book. All thoughts presented are my own.