On The Horns of Death

An Ancient Crete Mystery

Pub Date 02 Apr 2024 | Archive Date 31 Mar 2024

Talking about this book? Use #OnTheHornsofDeath #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Ancient Crete, 1450 BC. Young bull leaper Martis finds Duzi, the newest member of the bull leaping team, dead in the bull pen early one morning. Made to look like he met his end on the horns of the bull, it's clear to Martis that this was no accident . . .

Martis once again finds herself thrown into a dangerous game of hunting down a murderer as the deaths start to mount. An old friend of Martis' sister, and possible lover to Duzi, is the next person to be found dead, and Martis' investigations lead her to believe love and jealousy are at the heart of these crimes against the Goddess.

Is someone targeting the bull leaping community? Or is there something else at play? With only the Shade of her sister Arge to confide in, Martis struggles to untangle the growing web of secrets which stretches around her.

Advance Praise

“This complex, character-driven mystery is loaded with fascinating historical details”
Kirkus Reviews on In the Shadow of the Bull

Kirkus Reviews on In the Shadow of the Bull

PAGES 224

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I really enjoyed reading ‘Shadow of the Bull’ and was excited to continue Martis’ journey in Ancient Crete in ‘On the Horns of Death’.

The story picks up around 7 months after the concluding events of ’Shadow of the Bull’ and I think reading it first definitely enhances the experience of reading ‘On the Horns of Death’ especially in the establishment of the setting and Martis’ family and surrounding characters. Like the first book, there are very detailed descriptions of the environment, regalia and general appearances that really evokes the images associated with Ancient Crete and the surviving scenes we see on the Palace of Knossos today. Additionally, Martis’ character has been built upon and she has seemingly grown and matured after the events of book one and her advancement working with the bulls. What I love about this book is that as much as it is a murder mystery novel, the characters are well fleshed out and developed, with women featuring prominently instead of 2D side characters.

The murder-mystery element is established really early in the story and the mystery was woven into the story with new and existing characters really well. I honestly had no hunch on who the murderer was, I was really intrigued and compelled to finish the story and get answers. I do wish there was a bit more closure at the end, I felt it was very abrupt.

Thank you to NetGalley, and the publisher Severn Press, for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review, these thoughts are all my own.

An exciting tale about bull leapers in ancient Crete. Good and well drawn characters and a page turner. What more can a reader ask? I recommend the novel highly. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for giving me a copy of the book.

After falling down the Cozy Mystery hole, I've come to expect a certain formula and location for these types of books. So I was extremely interested in a mystery that was similar to the cozies I loved but set in Ancient Crete! Having actually been to Knossos a couple of times, the location was already familiar to me. But the author brought life to the ancient ruins with an amazing and diverse cast and a puzzling mystery to solve. It's hard to review a book like this without giving away the ending so I'll just say that I loved the main character and how she worked her way though the various clue and suspects. The supporting cast was fleshed out enough that you actually care for them and I'm very interested in seeing follow up books that would expand on these people.

My only concern? I need more historical information! Thankfully the writer added some at the end but I still wanted to get a bit more information about the ancient Minoan practices. Maybe even a map of Knossos as it would exist in the novel?