The Ghost with a Knife at Her Throat

A genre-blending roller coaster of ghosts, psychics, mystery and murder

Pub Date 14 Sep 2023 | Archive Date 15 Apr 2024

Talking about this book? Use #ghosts #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"A masterful detective tale...a must-read."  - KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

Asher Gale has ghost eyes. They see things that are bad for him.

As a boy he was a prodigy. But his eyes gave him color seizures and forced him to stop painting forever. Now he's 26, managing his crazy from a bar stool in the secretive SoCal arts colony of Skysill Beach, moonlighting as a forgery investigator. Life is just a blur through Asher's ultraviolet eyes. Plus there's the vodka.

When wealthy art dealer Waylon Goodman calls, Asher hopes to expose another forgery, but instead he finds Waylon's daughter dead under mysterious circumstances. For Waylon's sake, he investigates the dead girl and finds ultraviolet Higher paint where it has no business - and then her motionless, ultraviolet ghost begins following him. His search for answers leads him back to Skysill Beach, to the mind bending world of Higher art he thought he'd given up forever, where he stumbles onto murders, falls for a beautiful psychic, becomes well-known to the police and, briefly, becomes a ghost himself.

This is Book One of a five-book urban fantasy series entitled The History of Light. It's a story cycle turning on Asher's discovery that no human alive should see ghosts - human beings no longer have ghosts. Millennia ago, unknown hands cut our ghosts away. Now those hands have returned, and taken up the blade again, in The Ghost with a Knife at her Throat.

"A masterful detective tale...a must-read."  - KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

Asher Gale has ghost eyes. They see things that are bad for him.

As a boy he was a prodigy. But his eyes gave him color...

Advance Praise

"A masterful detective tale launches what could be a transcendent hybrid series—a must-read." - KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

Marketing Plan

I love honest feedback from all readers! Please leave your thoughts on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFNM3L14 and any other social platform you use.

Thanks!

Thanks!

PAGES 280

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I was intrigued by this blurb, and even more intrigued when the book was granted to me with somewhat of a warning. After reading this book, I now know why. I am going to have a really hard time talking about this book, but I’ll do my best. First off, this book is very unique. I love how it is nothing like all the UF out there; this is paranormal with paint, a very unreliable narrator, a few ghosts, forgeries, money laundering, and just so much more. The tone, in a way, reminds me of the 70s era and the flowerchild movement of that time. But, even then, I’m still not capturing this book. There’s also a murder mystery with an interesting twist when we sort of solve this. I really enjoyed this book, but, again, it’s really hard to describe; you’ll just have to read it for yourself. I was left hanging about a couple of things, but no matter, I’m hoping I’ll find out in the next book. This book isn’t going to be for everyone, but it was for me. Recommend. I was provided a complimentary copy which I voluntarily reviewed.

Life is rough with eyes that see the dead.

Suspenseful and well-written. Great characters and plot twists. I loved it.

I loved the character of Asher Gale. He reminded me of hard boiled detectives like Phillip Marlowe. That can be a tricky characterization to get right and Hincker hits the nail on the head. The addition of Asher Gale's ability to see different ultraviolet colors made his investigation unique. We get some answers to the mystery, but there are still other answers out there to be had, so it makes you want to keep reading the next novel.
If you like detective fiction and propulsive narrative, you have to pick this book up.

Really intriguing take on urban fantasy with an engaging MC and a snappy, modern style. Not what I was expecting but also super enjoyable.

An absolute joy, prodigal son must return to his roots to save the day, but the troupe is aggressively altered to be more fun.

This book was full of suspense if plot twists! It really kept me hooked and inwould recommend it to fans of the fantasty genre.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The main character is so quirky and yet likeable. The author slowly reveals Asher's back story to explain why he acts/responds the way he does. The story continually moves along revealing new secrets about the town and the people living there. I was very happy to see that there are more books ready for me to read - because I need to know more! I'm invested in his budding romance lol. Possible spoiler -
My only complaint is poor Samantha does not have her resolution when the story ends. I'm holding out hope she gets her peace in book 2.

This a great start to the History of Light series, it had a great overall concept and I enjoyed the detective elements in this book. The characters were everything that I was looking for and worked in this universe. It left me wanting to read more in this world and from the author.

This book was an interesting and unique read.
It was hard to follow at first but once I became familiar with his writing style it made sense to me..
I liked the twists and turns and enjoyed reading it. I like Asher’s abilities and gave it a supernatural bend.

I found it to be a fun adventure with well-developed characters. It had a different setting and plot than I usually read and this was nice for a change. A dynamic read that kept my attention, thanks for allowing me to read your work.

Title: A Five-Star Thriller That Keeps You on the Edge

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"The Ghost with a Knife at Her Throat" by Kevin Hincker is an electrifying thriller that hooks you from the very beginning and never lets go. Hincker's storytelling is a roller-coaster ride of suspense, mystery, and the supernatural, all expertly woven into a gripping narrative.

The story follows protagonist Alex Warren, who, while recovering from a traumatic incident, starts experiencing ghostly visitations and nightmarish visions. Hincker's portrayal of Alex's struggle with these unsettling events is both poignant and chilling. The depth of emotion and psychological tension is masterfully conveyed, making it easy to empathize with the character.

The author's writing style is immersive, with vivid descriptions and a knack for building an eerie atmosphere. The small-town setting is brought to life, and you can almost feel the sense of isolation and impending dread. The pacing is flawless, keeping the reader engaged with well-timed revelations and heart-pounding moments.

What sets this book apart is the clever blending of psychological horror and supernatural elements. Hincker keeps you guessing, and as the story unfolds, you'll find yourself questioning reality and the line between the living and the dead. The twists and turns are expertly executed, leaving you eager to uncover the truth.

Character development is another strong suit of this novel. Each character feels authentic, with their own quirks, flaws, and hidden secrets. The interactions between them add depth and intrigue to the plot, and you'll find yourself forming connections with them, even the ones who send shivers down your spine.

"The Ghost with a Knife at Her Throat" is a true page-turner, a thrilling blend of the supernatural and psychological suspense that will haunt you long after you've finished it. Kevin Hincker has delivered a five-star masterpiece that is a must-read for fans of the genre. If you're looking for a chilling, mind-bending, and utterly satisfying thriller, this book is an absolute gem.

This was such a wonderful and enjoyable read!!!! I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre. Thank you so much to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The magic system in this book is unlike anything I have read before, it's so original and unique. The book starts off with a quick note introducing the setting of this world, before the reader is thrown headfirst into the vibrant town of Skysill. Readers are expected to pick up on how the magic system works along the way, without much hand-holding from the author. That being said, I feel the author does a good job of gradually introducing different aspects of the magic so as to not overwhelm the reader, while trusting the reader to be able to pick it up without much exposition.

Although the narrative style might not be for everyone, I liked the sort of off-hand way the MC, Asher, makes observations and his dry humour adds to that as well. Asher as a character though, is kind of a wreck. He has to solve the mystery, while dealing with quirky cast of side characters who are either intent on helping or hindering him. At the same time, he's dealing with stuff that is <insert spoilers> that also makes it hard for him to figure shit out. And he's not a good detective (Asher agrees).

The mystery was mysterying! I was kept intrigued until the end, but this book finishes without solving all the pieces of the puzzle, which I suppose will be left for the sequels.

I wish that we could have seen more of the Higher colours explored in this book(presumably they will be in the sequels), as the only colour that was really talked about is compulsion. Another nitpick I have is the way the Higher colours are perceived. Italics are used when talking about /seeing/ Higher colours (eg /sighted/, "can you /see/?") and I feel that this hinders the flow of the narrative as it makes me emphasis those words in my head while reading it, I think it would have been better if the first letter was capitalised instead. I also found the romance in particular to be the least convincing part of this book. It was very love-at-first-sight-y and really just came out of nowhere. Like, the romance could have been removed completely, no need to change the characters, and the plot would have been exactly the same.

As I devoured this mesmerizing tale, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was walking alongside Asher, shouldering the weight of his haunted past and his extraordinary gift. The vivid descriptions of Skysill Beach and its eclectic artist community transported me to a world where creativity and darkness entwine. Asher's struggles with his ultraviolet eyes, his 'crazy,' resonated deeply, and I found myself rooting for him to confront his demons. The mystery unfolds like a masterful painting, with each brushstroke revealing a new layer of intrigue. I was captivated by the way the story explores the blurred lines between art, reality, and the supernatural. Asher's journey left me with a lasting sense of empathy and awe. If you're ready to immerse yourself in a world that's both haunting and beautiful, then step into the ultraviolet world of Skysill Beach.

This book is amazing! I loved every word of it. It is book 1 in a 5 book series and I cannot wait until the rest come out. I will be devouring them just like u did this one. The story line is so original. I loved it!!!!
I just reviewed The Ghost with a Knife at Her Throat by Kevin HIncker. #ghosts #NetGalley
[NetGalley URL]