The Dangerous Ones

Pub Date 14 May 2024 | Archive Date 28 May 2024
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

"A perfect mix of magic, vampires, star-crossed love, and writing as sharp and deadly as a spear." - Nisha J. Tuli, author of Trial of the Sun Queen

A romantic historical fantasy from New York Times bestselling author Lauren Blackwood, set in the American Civil War with vampires and people with demigod-like abilities.

1863, Pennsylvania

War doesn’t scare Jerusalem - she’s a Saint. Thanks to powerful demigod-style reflexes, endurance, and strength, she’s fearless. And ever since the Confederates declared civil war, partnering with the vampires who benefitted off slavery, she and her battalion of Saints are essential to the Union army.

Jerusalem herself had been enslaved by a vampire, escaping North only after her family was murdered. She knows the enemy better, hates the enemy more than anyone in her battalion, and has been using it to her advantage since she joined the war a year ago. More than anything she wants revenge, but if she can help Black people gain freedom and equality without having to steal it for themselves like she had to, then all the better.

But she never expects to have to team up with a vampire to do it. Alexei is one of those handsome, arrogant Ancient Vampires. But he’s on the Union’s side, and in the year they've known each other, has never done anything but prove he’s on hers.

Together, they set out to change the course of the war and take down the vampire who destroyed everyone Jerusalem loved. But for her, it’s about more than justice.

It's about killing a god.

A romantic historical fantasy from New York Times...

PAGES 368

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

The cover was what drew me in and I’m so glad I was able to read this. It had a great concept for a vampire novel, I enjoyed the there were Saints in this and had a great supernatural element to this book. The characters were everything that I was hoping for and enjoyed from the genre. I liked how Lauren Blackwood wrote this and created the world and characters. I enjoyed how good the historical elements were and I never questioned why this was happening.

This book was absolutely incredible! I read it over two days. I loved the fresh take on vampires and setting it during the Civil War was a unique spin. The incorporation of other magical creatures into the story and setting was creative and fresh.

Set during the Civil War, this novel is full of well written characters including vampires, saints, and other supernatural creatures. Jerusalem wants vengeance for those she’s lost, and finds allies in the unlikeliest places. Striking a perfect match between romance and both historical and supernatural fiction, this is a quick, exciting read!

Jerusalem is a Saint - a person with demigod-style reflexes, endurance, and strength, she’s fearless. And ever since the Confederates declared civil war, partnering with the vampires who benefitted off slavery, she and her battalion of Saints are essential to the Union army. On the run after killing her Master, she is heading north for safety. A year later she is a solider in the Union army , and trains for the day she can exact revenge. She must team up with a vampire to do it. Alexei is one of those handsome, arrogant Ancient Vampires. Together ,along with a small team , they set out on a dangerous mission to put the tide on their favor to win the war. This book was so good. It's dark , gritty , but also has a little humor. It touches subjects of racism, slavery, the underground railroad, etc. It also has enemies to lovers trope, which i love .the world building is excellent. I think everyone would enjoy this book.

I loved this fantasy book so much! The vampires in this book were just what I wanted to read. The romance was just the right amount. The writing was beautifully done

The dangerous ones
I was given an arc copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you net galley. Set during the time of Civil War and slavery, the author intricately mixes fantasy, vampires, and the dynamics of that time period beautifully. I love the banter between Jerusalem and Alexei. This love story was absolutely beautiful. I read this book in three hours and I want to read it all over again. Beautiful storytelling. 5 ⭐️

The Dangerous Ones by Lauren Blackwood is such a gem. I requested this book almost entirely becasue the cover is stunning only to be greeted with a tightly plotted and wonderfully developed story about vampires during the civil war.

The dialogue and character chemistry were two of the strongest highlights of this work and really carried the weight of any moments that the plot needed to slow down.

I can not wait to get my hands on a physical copy in May.