The House on Cold Creek Lane

Pub Date Aug 06 2024 | Archive Date Jul 31 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheHouseonColdCreekLane #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An unflinching examination of motherhood and the dark side of domesticity set against a suburban backdrop that's anything but blissful. This twisty tale invites readers to a slow motion unravelling that culminates in a devastating finale!

Who was I? What had I become?
Breathe, I commanded. You're doing this for your family.

When Laurel and Rob West move into their new home in New Jersey, it seems too good to be true. But Laurel can't shake off her old feelings of anxiety. The neighbor who pays far too much attention to the Wests' two young children . . . Rob watching her every misstep . . . and there's something people aren't telling her about this house . . .

I promised myself I wouldn't go to that neighborhood again. Not that street. Not so soon.
But I couldn't help it. They made it too easy.

Corey Sutton is trying to outrun her past. Recently divorced and reeling from a devastating loss, she moves into her widowed mother's retirement condo in Florida. Everyone says she just needs some time to recover and rebuild . . . but is Corey beyond saving? She wants answers. And there's very little she won't do to get them.

Though Laurel and Corey have never met, the women have something in common, and if they're not careful, it may just destroy them both . . .

Advance Praise

“Liz Alterman is a masterful storyteller”
MAY COBB, award-winning author of The Hunting Wives

“Fresh twists . . . Alterman is off to a promising start”
Publishers Weekly on The Perfect Neighborhood

“Well written from start to finish . . . perfect for fans of domestic suspense!”
Manhattan Book Review on The Perfect Neighborhood

“Liz Alterman is a masterful storyteller”
MAY COBB, award-winning author of The Hunting Wives

“Fresh twists . . . Alterman is off to a promising start”
Publishers Weekly on The Perfect Neighborhood

Page count: 346
Genre: thriller
Setting: NJ suburbs and FL
POV: multiple

Laurel and her husband Rob move into a new home with their young family. Laurel’s mother’s killer has just been released from prison. This, and some things happen in the house/neighborhood that Laurel isn’t comfortable, and Rob is not particularly empathetic. Which neighbors can she trust?

Corey is trying to cope with the death of her young daughter, and seems to be the only one to believe that it wasn’t an accident.

How are these women connected? Will their paths cross?

I enjoyed this book, and will be reading more by this author! The story was methodically and skillfully built. It was difficult to guess how it would all come together- which added to the motivation already there to keep reading!

Thank you to author, publisher, NetGalley for advanced copy. This is an honest voluntary review.

Laurel and Rob give up their crowded apartment to move to a cute suburban Cape. Note that Rob buys the house before Laurel sees it, claiming to take pressure off her because she’s dealing with a three year old and a newborn. Laurel is a shy, non assertive young woman, forever damaged by her mother’s murder when she was twelve. Rob encourages her to make friends, join groups and invite other mothers over for a meal. She does, with mixed results. An older woman who lives across the street seems prying and critical but Addie, who lives next door, becomes a true friend.

Corey is adrift in Florida. After her daughter’s death and her divorce, she has moved in with her mother in a Florida retirement community. Still grieving her daughter, she is stuck in a world of anger, with pain that is only lessened by reckless behavior.

As Rob urges Laurel to prepare for his sister’s wedding, Corey is pressured to move out of the condo because of age restrictions. The tensions affecting both woman grow and move inexorably to unexpected disaster.

The House on Cold Creek Lane is my first mystery by Liz Alderman and it will definitely not be my last. The sad puzzle that is this domestic thriller moves slowly, alternating between the voices of Laurel and Corey. Both women feel the isolation of suburban communities, the gossip that fills social gatherings and the loneliness of grief. As the plot moves toward an inevitable conclusion, you feel their despair. The House on Cold Creek Lane will stay with you long after you have read the final page. 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Severn House and Liz Alderman for this ARC.

You know when a thriller is good when you look at the clock and realize it's 90 minutes past your normal bedtime and you're still reading.

This happened with The House on Cold Creek Lane, a quintessential domestic suspense thriller filled with all the expected and unexpected tropes so beloved by thriller fans.

In this story there are two female main characters (1st person pov's): Laurel and Corey. Both of them are grieving losses and are connected through a Cape Cod-style house in New Jersey.

Corey used to live there.

Laurel just moved in.

This simple yet intriguing set-up swiftly morphs into a scary, suspenseful plot. Why did Corey move out of the house and is now living in Florida in the guest room of her mother's condominium? Why is Laurel not quite comfortable in her new home and what's up with the neighbors? On one side is a sweet old lady who wants nothing more than to help watch over Laurel's young kids. On the other side is Addie: single, beautiful and snarky--exactly the kind of friend Laurel needs, especially since Laurel's husband Rob is being a bit of a dick lately.

We go back in forth between both women as they deal with their personal ghosts from the past, an ever-rising terror shadowing them along the way.

Alterman writes like a pro--I totally related to her depictions of motherhood, daughterhood, and the oft-times fraught foray into trying to make new friends in a new hood. Her dialogue rocks. She's also very funny at times.

This was a great read.

This was one that I requested on NG on a whim as soon as I saw it. I loved this book so much. Liz has an amazing ability to weave together a remarkable book full of scandal, deception and lies. I love a good Neighbourhood Drama read. This was full of characters I loathed and loved. This was a super fast and propulsive read. Amazing book Liz! ALL the Stars!

When Laurel and Rob West move into their dream home in suburban New Jersey, Laurel has no idea that this house has a dark history. Fully occupied with managing their two young children, she has little time to make proper friends in the neighbourhood, even if she had been a better fit with some of the other mothers.

Ironically, it is Addie, their single, childless neighbour that Laurel hits it off best with, since she also begins to wonder if the single mother in their neighbourhood, Zoe, in fact has designs on her husband Rob.

On top of all this, she is struggling with her suspicions about her elderly neighbour, Marian, who has charmed both Laurel's husband and her young son, but is deeply critical towards Laurel's skills (or lack thereof) as a mother.

If Laurel knew what the previous occupant of their home, Corey, had been through thanks to the neighbour(s) she would probably pack her bags right away. Rob, meanwhile,has little patience with what he consider his wife's paranoia. But Corey is debating whether or not to warn Laurel to watch out...

This was a complex and highly readable story, with plenty of twists. The characters are well-drawn for the most part, but I disliked Rob and his family immensely, finding his sister and mother borderline caricatures of their roles. Corey and Laurel are, however, easy to relate to, tragic as their circumstances may be.

I figured out the key villain, but not the final twist. Enjoyable and worth a read. It gets 3.5 stars from me, just missing 4 stars because Rob and his family were so incredibly unsympathetic as characters. Readers who don't mind that will give it 4 stars, so I've rated it accordingly.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thank you NetGalley, Severn House, and Liz Alterman. I was anxious through every turned page. I found myself wanting to read more of Laurel in the beginning because Corey was so damn depressing! And who wouldn’t take anxious over depressed. But once that half way to .75 percent of the book hit, I was over Rob and wanted happiness for Corey. I did predict some stuff but the ending isn’t clear until it’s there and you’re so excited for it to play out that you really don’t care. Fabulous ending! I enjoyed the inclusion of the book club discussion questions and thought on them as well. All good questions to ponder on.

I really liked this book! While I did guess parts of the plot/twist ahead of time, I still thought it was good. It was an easy, fun read with plenty of characters you will love to hate! As far as domestic thrillers go, this is one you should definitely add to your TBR list. 4.5⭐️s rounded up!

Thank you to NetGalley and Severn House for an ARC of this novel.

The House on Cold Creek Lane by Liz Alterman

“OK, this is so much bigger than Pinot Grigio. We’re going straight to scotch.”

When Laurel was twelve, her mom was murdered. Days before Christmas. She’s tiptoed through life on eggshells ever since, always a little skittish, restless, and skeptical. Her husband, Rob, the eternal optimist, views the world—and everyone in it—as one big, happy opportunity.

Rob snaps up their new home on Cold Creek Lane without Laurel touring it. Despite languishing on the market with no buyer interest, he thinks the house will be the perfect place to settle down and raise their family.

I zipped through Liz Alterman’s latest thriller, with all its twists and turns and broken characters with their issues and dark sides. Don’t we all have those dark moments in our lives? Attempting to protect our children or spouses or parents or ourselves, we don’t recognize who we’ve become. We step back and wonder, What in the world am I doing?

Liz, who has won awards for her young adult fiction, is a master at seamlessly weaving storylines and keeping readers guessing until the bitter end. The book includes questions for group discussions, and Liz is available to meet with book clubs via Zoom.

How fun would THAT be to discuss this novel or her 2022 book, The Perfect Neighborhood, with this author?!

This was my first by this author, and definitely NOT my last.

I love a good disturbed book about suburbia. We NEVER know what goes on behind closed doors.

Rob West has bought a home in New Jersey without his wife Laurel seeing it. She is on bed rest as she is about to give birth. The house was a STEAL.

Neighbors are watching their children, and give them extra attention.

The other story line involves Corey Sutton who has ties to the area. She used to live in laurel and Rob's home.

What do these women have in common? What secrets are the neighbors harboring? As a mother some parts were hard to read.

The final twist created angst for me.

Kudos to Liz Alterman for The House on Cold Creek Lane. This was quite the domestic thriller and I couldn't wait to see what happened at the end. The story is written in 2 main character's POV's. We have Corey and Laurel. They are tied together by the white cape cod house in New Jersey. Corey is currently living in Florida in her mom's guest room. Laurel and family have just moved into the home on Cold Creek Lane. Both have suffered tremendous losses are are trying to get their lives in order. Laurel is married to Rob and he's quite the annoying husband. She's made a few mistakes with the kids and he watches over her like a hawk. On one side of Laurel lives an older woman who bakes treats and has become very friendly with Laurel's son. On the other side lives single and fun Addie, just the kind of friend Laurel has been looking for.

The story goes back and forth between the 2 main characters. They do not know each other, but their paths will intertwine. The characters are done so well, I felt like I knew them. This was a fast paced page turner that kept me interested every moment. I cannot wait for the author's next book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Seven House for the ARC. I greatly appreciate it. I highly recommend this book.

I have never read anything by Liz Alterman but I will check out her other books.

I devoured this book from page 1. I was hooked right from the beginning. I loved the plot. Didn't like all the characters but that's a given. I enjoyed the twists and even though I figured out the last twist it didn't ruin the story for me. A definite recommend.

Thank you netgalley and publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own and isn't influenced by anyone else

4.5 round up! This book was incredible! I would read it on my kindle during preschool nap time and found myself wanting more after each chapter. Hard to put down! The character development was incredible. The storyline and how it all wraps together is just so so good!! Definitely a top 5 in my book for 2024! Thank you NetGalley for this ARC

This was my first book from NetGalley. It definitely had a great plot. I was able to figure out some of the twists and turns but that didn't make it any less entertaining. Overall it was a good read and moved quickly.The characters were a little annoying at times. I didn't need to hear about Laurel's breasts leaking every time her baby cried and I totally get it Addie smells like peaches. Those repetitive things were rather irritating. This is my first book by Liz Alterman and I will definitely try a few of her others. Thanks NetGalley and Severn House for giving me the opportunity to read this.

I really enjoyed reading this, it had that suspenseful feel that I was looking for and thought it uses the suburban element perfectly. The characters worked with the story and thought they were realistic for this type of book. Liz Alterman has a great writing style and glad I got to read this.

𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝑰 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒇 𝑹𝒐𝒃 𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒐𝒏 𝑪𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝑪𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒌 𝑳𝒂𝒏𝒆--𝒊𝒇 𝒘𝒆'𝒅 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒕--𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒅, 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒍𝒍?

The lives of two women converge in this explosive domestic thriller that centers around the fierce bonds of motherhood.

Laurel and Rob have just moved into their new home on Cold Creek Lane. Because she was recovering from a C-section, Laurel only saw the house through a screen. She's kept busy with a newborn and a four-year-old, but she's never recovered from losing her mother suddenly at the age of 12. Her husband definitely did not endear himself to me at all as he seemed nonchalant about his wife's tragic loss and how it's affecting her still today. He grew up privileged with doting parents and is worlds away from Laurel's childhood.

Laurel feels completely bulldozed by everyone in her life, including her new neighbor Marian, who makes snide remarks about her parenting. So when another neighbor, Addie, offers friendship and an understanding ear, Laurel jumps at the chance to be someone other than wife and mom, and she becomes content with her tribe of one.

Meanwhile Corey is drifting. Recently divorced and struggling with a tragic loss, she is living in her mother's retirement condo until a resident balks. Lost, with no support and no friends, Corey is determined to seek out the source of her loss. And she knows exactly where to find it.

This was an absolutely stunning portrayal of the ups and downs of motherhood; its bleakest moments spilled out onto the pages with no filters or apologies, and mixed with the ferocity of a mother protecting her young, all culminated into one explosive climax that will have you seized by the throat until the very last word.

I'm thrilled to promote this book as a member of Thriller Book Lovers: The Pulse. This title will release August 6, 2024.

✨Spoiler Free Review✨

Title- The House On Cold Creek Lane by @lizalterman
Rating-⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

@lizalterman new book The House on Cold Creek Lane is a hot topic over here at @thrillerbookloversthepulse. The House on Cold Creek Lane is a haunting thriller that explores the darkest aspects of motherhood, grief, and loss, and the unsettling lengths people will go to protect their own. With a gripping dual narrative, the novel is a true page-turner that will keep readers up at night, eager to uncover the truth.

Synopsis-
When Laurel and Rob West move into their new home in New Jersey, it seems too good to be true. But Laurel can’t shake off her old feelings of anxiety. The neighbour who pays far too much attention to the Wests’ two young children . . . Rob watching her every miss step . . . and there’s something people aren’t telling her about this house . . .

I promised myself I wouldn’t go to that neighborhood again. Not that street. Not so soon. But I couldn’t help it. They made it too easy.

Corey Sutton is trying to outrun her past. Recently divorced and reeling from a devastating loss, she moves into her widowed mother’s retirement condo in Florida. Everyone says she just needs some time to recover and rebuild . . . but is Corey beyond saving? She wants answers. And there’s very little she won’t do to get them.

Though Laurel and Corey have never met, the women have something in common, and if they’re not careful, it may just destroy them both.

That plot twist at the end 👏🏽👏🏽

The countdown begins for the release of this incredible book on August 6, 2024.

Thank you @lizalterman and @severnhouseimprint for this advanced copy✨

A solid 4 stars. This book holds you from the moment you pick it up. It is a bit predictable I must say.
But it is does give a good glimpse into motherhood. It’s does make you realize that suburbia isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. You never know what really happens behind closed doors and ppl aren’t always who you expect them to be. If you want a quick read that will keep your attention this is definitely a great book for you.

Honestly I’d give this 3.5 stars but rounded up. I really liked the overall plot, but some of the characters were so damn unlikable that it made me not want to read the dang book! I also had the ending pinned from about halfway through, but that’s on me for reading way too many thrillers; I swear nothing surprises me anymore. Overall it was a decent read.

When Laurel and Rob move into their new home on Cold Creek Lane with their two young children, they have high hopes of creating beautiful memories there. However, Rob found the house without Laurel’s input and they had no idea about the tragic loss that the previous owners experienced while living in the home. Shortly after moving in and meeting the neighbors, Laurel experiences some strange things and Rob continuously dismisses her concerns as paranoia.

Meanwhile, Corey, the previous resident of the home, is grieving the loss of her young daughter, Frankie. She is struggling to cope and is determined to prove that her daughter’s death was no accident. When she realizes that there are new owners living in her old house, she struggles with what to do about it. Should she warn them?

I really enjoyed this book! I loved how it was told through dual points of view with Laurel and Corey’s stories ultimately colliding and making for one crazy and unexpected ending! I figured out the main twist but it didn’t matter because the way everything played out was definitely a surprise and the final few twists had my jaw on the floor. I know it’s a good book when I find myself mentally yelling at the characters because it’s just one bad decision after the next!
This book has made me a fan of Liz Alterman and I can’t wait to see what she comes out with next!

4.5 Stars Rounded Up

This was such a fast paced read, with multiple POVs that made this read even more enjoyable. I couldn’t put this one down at all and so many times I really wanted to strangle Rob!!! This was my first book of Liz Alterman and it was really good! Most definitely, must add this one to your TBR!!!

Thank you NetGalley and Severn House for the advanced reader copy!

Wow! What a roller coaster from Liz Alterman! I loved A Perfect Neighborhood, so I was eager to read her latest, due out this August. Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy.

Laurel and Rob West and their toddler and newborn move to a new home in New Jersey — a home they were able to snap up even in a tough real estate market. Rob is eager for Laurel to make friends and create a suburban social life for them — but Laurel is an introvert by nature and is exhausted caring for two young children. And as she gets to know her neighbors, there are definitely some that make her uncomfortable. Meanwhile, in Florida, Corey Sutton is living with her widowed mother in a senior complex, working a dead end job and drinking herself to sleep in the wake of a terrible tragedy. Although Laurel and Corey have never met, they have something in common…

I love domestic suspense and the concept of all the secrets behind closed doors in superficially quiet suburban neighborhoods, and Alterman is a master at the genre. I couldn’t stop turning pages, and while some of my suspicions were correct, I loved the way the story spun out. It was perfectly paced, and definitely held some big surprises. Highly recommend!

It’s my first book by Liz Alterman, and I am not disappointed. Great book, kept me intrigued throughout! Plenty of suspense and dry humor… I would recommend for any psychological fiction fan, and I will be reading more from this author.

While thankful for the chance to read this book, it took me 3 weeks to finish it. If it had started out as good as it ended, I'd have finished it in days, not weeks. The beginning felt a little repetitive. I didn't like reading the constant gaslighting of each other. The ending, however, was great. I finished the last 20% in one setting. I couldn't put it down and needed to finish it. For that reason, I give this book 3.5 stars. I'd still recommend it to others, because the ending pulled this book together and gave it what was needed to keep the reader's interest. I will be posting a review shortly to my IG and FB.

Laurel and Rob West and their small children are moving into their new home in New Jersey, but it isn’t the idyllic suburban dream Laurel thought it would be. One elderly neighbor seems like a sweet grandmotherly type, but her comments to Laurel are always double-edged. Single mom Zoey seems a little too flirty with Rob for Laurel’s taste. At least Laurel’s got one friend in her next-door neighbor Addie to share snark and cocktails with.

We also get the POV of another woman named Corey. Corey is living with her mother in a retirement community in Florida, recently divorced and mired in grief. What happened to her is a bit of a mystery… does she have a connection to Cold Creek Lane?

Liz Alterman came onto my radar with Perfect Neighborhood and it’s clear she’s one to watch when it comes to neighborhood noir! The House on Cold Creek Lane is not only suspenseful but filled with razor-sharp insight about new motherhood, which is a favorite domestic suspense theme of mine. This book was such a great read – full of mystery, misdirection, and gaslighting. There’s a palpable undercurrent of darkness running just below the surface of the plot that fed my anxiety and kept me hooked throughout. The big reveal was a surprise and the conclusion was so satisfying! No wonder all of us at Thriller Book Lovers: The Pulse are raving about this one!

This book was intense! But a good intense. We all ate this book up over at @thrillerbookloversthepulse! This multiple POV thriller takes place on Cold Creek Lane, a place I don't want to live 🤭, and follows a family who has just moved in and their neighbors. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just say that the amount of times my jaw dropped was uncountable. There are two female main characters who by the end of the book, will have their lives intertwined in the best, or worst, ways. This is one of those books where you're pretty certain you have it all figured out, only to have whiplash when it's revealed that not all is as it seems. I highly recommend this book, you're not going to want to miss out!

Thank you to @netgalley, Severn House and Liz Alterman for an ARC!

You ever wanted to reach into a book and just smack some of the characters silly? Well, that's how I felt throughout most of this one.
Laurel has just had their second child, recovering from a c section, dealing with sleepless nights, and on top of it all is moving into a new home. Her husband Rob somehow manages to undermine her and belittle her every chance he gets. When Laurel tells Rob she's worried about the nosy next door neighbour, he calls her paranoid and refuses to acknowledge her feelings. He continuously makes Laurel feel like she is going crazy. The way I wanted to take a swing at that man is not healthy. Honestly, men in thrillers are the worst.
Meanwhile, the previous tenant of their new home, Corey, is dealing with a loss that has taken over her life. She swears someone else was to blame and is determined to put it right.
I really enjoyed this one, despite the fact that aside from a handful of characters, the rest were all incredibly unlikeable. I'd correctly predicted some of the twists, but it didn't take away from the story, as I sat with my heart in my throat, waiting for the worst to happen.
Another new to me author that I can't wait to read more from.

I loved Liz Alterman's previous novel The Perfect Neighborhood, and I feel like I have been waiting forever for a new release from her. So, I wasn't wasting any time starting The House on Cold Creek Lane, and I'm glad I didn't! I was hooked from the very first page and I wish I would have had more time to read it because it would have been an easy one-sitting read. The story alternates between Laurel and Corey and each one brings something different to the table. I HATED Laurel's husband Rob and was upset I had to wait the entire book for her to get a backbone, but things worked out in a very pleasing way for me, so I was finally happy.

I think I liked Corey's viewpoint the most, and even though I really wanted her to work through her grief differently (support group or therapy), she was well-fleshed out and felt so real and relatable. I especially enjoyed her no-nonsense personality and her bluntness. I loved the way Alterman ended up tying the two storylines together, and even though I had an inkling of what was going on, I still got a couple of fantastic twists. There are certain parts I wish would have ended a bit differently (one real one), but it was quite the climax and left me feeling satisfied. The House on Cold Creek Lane had lots of foreshadowing which I loved and was tense the entire way through. My new favorite from Alterman!

I really enjoyed this book!

This was my first book from this author and it won’t be my last! She did a great job with the unreliable characters, it was very well written with a satisfying ending.

It shows the struggle and the grief, not to mention the loss, the new motherhood insights, and how far would you go to protect your family.

I was hooked since the first chapter, after half way through it, things got even better.

I really enjoyed this domestic thriller and I definitely recommend.

Thank you very much to NetGalley Severn House and Liz Alterman for the opportunity to read this ARC.

Publication Day 08/06/2024.