Schism

Pub Date 15 Mar 2016 | Archive Date 25 Oct 2016
Delirious Pixie, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

SCHISM is the first book in a new dystopian trilogy that tells a tale of survival, of good versus evil, and of constructing a future with only memories of childhood.

A virus, created by the smartest minds in the United States government, which is meant to target male adults in times of war, is accidentally released before testing is complete. Within weeks six billion people are eliminated from the world. The only survivors are prepubescent children.

Five years after this catastrophic event, a young girl named Andy Christensen and her two friends are forced to leave their home in Bermuda and return to the North American continent. There, they discover that America is wild and chaotic, and people have instituted a “survival of the fittest” mentality. Andy and her friends soon band together with fellow survivors in search for a new place to call home.

Britt Holewinski is a former CIA officer whose 14-year career opened her eyes to the world we live in, including rare glimpses of what living in a crumbling, post-apocalyptic world might be like. Many of these and other personal experiences are reflected throughout the story in SCHISM.

Also available in ebook format, $0.99, 9780988300767.

A virus, created by the smartest...

A Note From the Publisher

Contributor: Cover Design: Ally Khristova.

Contributor: Cover Design: Ally Khristova.

EDITION Paperback

This is one of the best dystopian books that I have read all year and I am already waiting for the next in the series. The book had me hooked from beginning to end and I literally did not put it down. You had to TEAR me away. The depth of the characters and the look into society made you feel as if you are there. The dialogue is smooth and flows nicely and there is plenty of action and a bit of romance as well. I highly highly recommend this book. Get in and get ready to be sucked in. Clear your schedule for the day because this book is the best new dystopian series start that I have read all year.

A real page turner,can't wait to read the next one

Dystopian fiction, very well-written and imaginative. With almost the world population wiped out by a virus, a group of teens try to make sense out of their new lives. Gripping and suspenseful, this author takes her place on my "Authors/Books to Look For" list. Recommended.

This was an excellent read! I love reading the dystopian genre and this book did not disappoint. I was hooked to the story from the very beginning and did not want to put it down. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series.

Good page turner and start of a new trilogy; however, it also,works as a stand alone book...you just may be sitting on the edge of your seat wondering what happens next. The book is about teens and could work well for teens and possibly junior high grades. There is some drug use, but it is certainly portrayed as a negative, and definitely mature themes. It also has appeal for adults. Dystopian, end of the world by virus books seem to abound, but this one is well written and innovative enough that it holds interest well. Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of the book.

My new favorite dystopian adventure! I couldn't read it fast enough! A new twist on life after an apocalyptic virus leaves only young teens and children left on the planet, what a way to grow up! I can't wait for the next book!

Schism was a surprise. At first it was hard to read, but the plot and the characters swiftly grew on me. It's not the type of dystopian fiction where the heroes are well-prepared and perfect. Stuff happens. Good stuff. Bad stuff. and our characters do not come away unscathed.

*Jaw drops! Wow! What a thrilling read. A book full of great characters and thanks to the authors descriptive prowess the reader gets a wonderful insight and feel for a great new world. It does take the first few chapters to really get into it, but this is necessary as it builds the world around you. I really did enjoy this, and I am already looking forward to the second in this fabulously written dystopian fantasy. Thank you Netgalley, the publisher and the author for my ARC.

I have to say at first glance I was a bit skeptical about this book simply because I have seen the whole “child run civilization” thing done, and when it’s done most of the time the civilizations are depicted as savage and barbaric. Let me clarify, in Lord of the Flies when the boys plane crashes on the deserted island and they’re forced to figure out a way to survive amongst themselves they turn away from civility and become more akin to feral, wild creatures. They form tribes and outlaw any source or basis of humanity or intellect they may have once have, the premise follows “survival of the fittest”. While this makes for a good read at times it also gives the idea that children are nothing more than animals, and that’s never something I could stand by. That being said, I went into this book with my guard up. Britt Holewinski began chipping away that wall and tearing down the notion that children could not intellectually survive on their own from the start, and that is exactly why I loved this book. Instead of survival of the fittest this book preaches “who is smart enough to survive in a world that no longer does everything for you? Who is smart enough to live without your parents there to protect you?” This book centers around an intelligent female protagonist who is not always confident, but strong enough to fake it when she needs to, which is something that, girls especially, need today. I will say the beginning is a little clunky, but I think all debut novels are so I’m willing to forgive it. All in all, I found this a good read and I’m anxiously awaiting the next book.

Not set

Wow! Just finished this - AMAZING! Kind of blows your mind trying to imagine a world where all the adults have died and now the young have to figure out what to do. Kids now kill each other over things that were taken for granted, like food, clean water, etc.... Andy is a very smart and likeable girl whose father was a doctor, now gone like the rest of the adults. Though she learned many things from him, she now has to hit the books to get educated since schools and colleges are part of the past. Throw in a crazy young man who wants to rule this new world and has something in his possession that threatens everyone still living. What a daunting task trying to portray this situation - but this story flows amazingly well. Can't wait for the next one!

Not set

Excerpt from Review: "...Somehow, in reading the promotional material about Schism, I had totally missed the fact that this was the first book in a trilogy of novels! So completely invested in the story and the characters was I, that I couldn’t take the suspense of not knowing what happens next. This is the sign of a great writer – the ability to draw the reader in so completely that they become horrified when they reach the end of the novel, yearning for more..."