The Mermaid and the Murders

Monster Beach

Pub Date 10 Jun 2016 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2016

Teenage mermaid Danika DelMar loves high school more than anything in the ocean. She fights with her mother about joining their pod, but she fights her hormones even more. No matter what her body says, she's not ready to kill someone with sex. Things get harder when Danika falls for a new boy at school. He claims to be a sea creature like she is, but she isn’t sure she can trust him or herself.

When a dead body shows up at Danika's reef she risks giving away her secret to make sure the police find the victim. It doesn't stop the bodies from coming. Soon she's lost her friend and the first boy she ever loved. Danika is sure a sea creature is involved, and she’s the only one who can help. As her friends become targets, Danika races to find the killer.

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781509208074

Links

Danika DelMar is a mermaid but much to her mother’s dismay all she wants to do is be on land and attend high school like a human would. When Danika meets the new boy at school she’s immediately interested but even more so when she finds that he’s also not human but a Salt Golem. Things seem to be going well for Danika until one day when returning to the sea she finds a dead body. Afraid that the authorities will be too close to her home she moves it closer to shore to be found but when another turns up Danika needs to find out who is behind the killings or risk her secret. The Mermaid and the Murders started off a bit rocky for me but by the end I loved the creativity with this one. The beginning though started towards fitting in with the popular, “mean” girl crowd which didn’t seem too appealing but thankfully the story got going in another direction fairly quickly. The story is very imaginative with all the different elements brought into play. Obviously from the title I knew this would involve mermaids but I didn’t expect all of the different things along with them. Along with that we get the added element of suspense as the murders begin taking place which opened up a much bigger plot. Overall, very creative and engaging fantasy read that I ended up really enjoying. I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I received a copy of this book from netgalley for review. I haven't read many books with mermaids before, so this one caught my attention when I saw it available for request. I'm not sure what the common themes are with mermaid stories, but I found a lot of it interesting in this book. How mermaids were all women and that they killed men when they had sex with them. Definitely not a book for a younger kid since there is sex and murder. I found some of the character's very likable, but others, not as much. The different types of sea creatures are interesting and I'm curious to see where the story will go in the next book (hopefully there will be one).

I went into this with no expectations. My review copies from Netgalley have been pretty hit or miss lately but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I wasnt expecting all the different creatures which was definitely a bonus. Right from the first chapter the murders added a great layer of mystery. I would consider this more new adult than young adult due to the details about sex and the murders. At first I was a little confused about how the mermaids have sex but its explained later on. Theres some romance but its not overbearing which I really appreciated. I enjoy romance but I like it when the plot can stand on its own. I didnt want to put this book down and my mind didnt wander off like it tends to do when I get bored or when I feel disconnected from the characters. I wasnt constantly checking how much of the book I had left to read and when I did check I couldnt believe how much I had already read. Having a lot in common with the main character Danika made me like her even more. I love learning and I could relate to her struggles with protecting her family secrets. I was also part of a popular group growing up and I tried to be nice to other people even if my group wasnt. I loved her relationship with Sam. Im somehwhat picky when it comes to love interest because I find most of them are way to cocky or down right controlling. This wasnt the case with Sam. I thought he was the cutest and sweetest thing in the world. He was supportive and protective without being jealous or controlling. This story was entertaining with a wonderful love interest and some great intrigue. My only issue with it is that it didnt really move me emotionally but besides that it was fantastic. I also really enjoyed how it all wrapped up nicely at the end. Im excited for the sequel and would love a chance to review it.

Not set

Playa Linda seems like a very interesting town as there are lots of sea creatures lurking around town, co-existing secretly with the humans. This town is interestingly scary yet fascinating to live in, but I loved my trip there in this reading adventure.

Not set

The Mermaid and the Murders is a fast-paced, murder-mystery kind of YA book. I loved following the main character, Danika, as she tried to solve the murders and as she tried to figure out how to live her life (in the water or on land). I also loved the different kinds of mythology that was used in this book. Seriously, I've never heard of a salt golem until I read this. Rachel Graves does add a bit of new mythology to the mermaid genre, but didn't stray too far from the mermaids you'd normally see(which can be either a pro or a con, depending on your POV). I wasn't a huge fan of some of Danika's relationships with other characters and the plot seemed a bit juvenile but overall, I'd say an interesting book for someone who likes to read about mermaids, murders and sex.

My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!! ***I choose what I read and review based on what intrigues me!! The cover is beautiful and sad all at the same time. I don’t know if this will be a series, so this is the first book. It is also the first book that I’ve read by Rachel Graves. It is listed as a teen romance, but I’d say older teen due to the violence. Sex isn’t described, but it is high school students having sex so keep that in mind. I definitely liked this book. It covered issues of peer pressure and worrying about what others think which is real for teens. I really liked Danika because she stands up for what she believes in even against her mother. I learn about creatures I’d never read about before, so always makes it more interesting. I recommend this book to paranormal and shifter fans of the aquatic sea life. I will definitely be checking to see if this becomes a series.

I enjoyed this alot more than i thought i would was a decent readand would read more of rachels book give it a try

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review. I've really only read one other book about mermaids at this point, and I found I enjoyed the authors take on the mermaid community. Granted, their take on life definitely doesn't match mine, but I found it interesting. The inclusion of the other sea creatures all seemed to tie the story line together as well, and I really enjoyed being able to join in on the experience of Danika DelMar, the protagonist. This book might take a few gruesome turns here and there, but it is told well and in an easy to follow manner. I recommend this read to individuals that enjoy fantasy and mystery novels.

Not set

I felt very conflicted reading this book. The mermaids world and mythology are fascinating and I wish it was more focused on that. The villain and the final battle were pretty disappointing to me. None of the characters were really fleshed out, especially Danika's friends.. It's like we didn't get to know anything about them. Not even about Sam. As a standalone, I think this book just fails to be a whole story with a satisfying ending. Another thing that bothered me was the clear rape and death of men being normalized like it was. Rape is a real violence that should not be written like that in a YA book. It made me super uncomfortable and it was the main reason of why I could not enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I can't say I liked this story at all.

Not set

I really enjoyed this book! There aren't a lot of books about mermaids so I really excited to read this and it did not disappoint. There was a lot going on but it never felt like too much, it was paced very well. There were more creatures besides mermaids which was really fun to read about, it was a nice surprise every time we were introduced to a new mythological creatur . I would love another book set in this world cause it was just so much fun and i really enjoyed the characters and the plot.

I don’t know what to think about this book. I haven’t read any book with mermaids before so it was new topic for me, but I liked it. I also liked the idea with other ‚sea monsters‘ and murders. But I couldn’t connect enough with the story. Here is few reasons why I cannot give more stars even if at the end I enjoyed the story: - Not properly explained mermaid’s life at the beginning. Maybe I see it as a deficiency because it was my first book with mermaids, but it took me long time to get all the problems, rules and how they live. - Sam was a new guy in the school and he revealed his secret (about being salt golem) to Danika already after few minutes with her. He didn’t know her and told her this? It seems odd to me because they visited a normal school, not any where is normal to be more than a human and well, they didn’t know each other. - Author didn’t get a chance to reader to connect with the characters. Everything happend really fast. I didn’t see the way how Sam and Danika felt in love. They just did and I didn’t even notice. For example I don’t know why he likes her. - Danika declared how she fights with her hormones because she doesn’t want to kill a anyone with sex. Well, I didn’t see that she would fighting with it so much. She said it few times but when she was with Sam, she easily gave up. The Mermaid and the Murders is an interesting and quick read, but there were things because of I cannot like the book more. The whole story was rushed and not well elaborated which is pity. But despite my rating I will gladly read next book, if there will be one.

This was an interesting read. The lore and history of the mermaids was fascinating. I also enjoyed seeing other undersea mythical beasties.