The Vigil

Pub Date 20 Feb 2015 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2016
Pelican Book Group, Harbourlight Books

Cheryl Broussard made two vows: She'd never fall for an abusive man, and she'd never return to her Louisiana hometown. But she's learned all too well the lesson of never-say-never. Now, back in Bijou Bayou after fleeing from an abusive boyfriend, Cheryl finds work as a Hospice nurse. While reading a dying patient's Korean War love letters, family secrets shatter Cheryl's beliefs about her family and herself and shed light on the reason she fled her hometown. When the Broussard family secrets are revealed, can Cheryl deal with the truth and accept the blessing of a second chance for relationships with her family, old friends, and with the God she never really knew? Find out in this Bijou Bayou novel from reader favorite, Marian P. Merritt.

A Note From the Publisher

Thank you for choosing Christian Fiction from Pelican Book Group.

Thank you for choosing Christian Fiction from Pelican Book Group.

EDITION Ebook

Not set

Cheryl Broussard returned to her hometown with great reluctance. She had wanted to leave right after high school, and thirteen years later, she was back. Still confronted with family problems from the past, she was determined to make a life! This book is about how God works in a family to bring about healing and redemption. It is a great story of God's care and his perfect timing. And I loved the characters--all of them.

Not set

This was a brilliant book. It was the first book I read by this author and I am going to be reading a lot more of her books. At first I thought that it would be suspense, because of the family secrets. But in the end it was a book about second chances, the power of forgiveness and the power of God. Beautifully written, it makes you examine your own life, and realize that you can forgive yourself for all those wrong choices. There is this quote from the book where Carlton tells Cheryl: "Regrets.... are hard. Don't let..." He paused and took several deep breaths. "....them steal your....joy." These words are a life lesson for all. This book was one of those books that will sit with me for a while, and make me think and reevaluate a lot of things. I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley for an honest review

Not set

Intriguing story with believable characters and interesting plot twists. I loved the setting and the Cajun heritage that was part of the story. I found it a little predictable in places, but appreciated the message of forgiveness and second chances.

Not set

I give this book 3.5 stars. It was a good book and it was a fast read. I recommend it.

Had to read this through at one sitting, as riveting as it became. Had a quite unpredictble outcome and well developed characters who all grew through their unusual circumstances, as a family and as individuals. Am glad to see such a well written novel with such a strong degree of substance and depth.

The old adage you can't judge a book by its cover is so true. I was a little thrown off when I first saw the cover of this book. However, upon reading the description I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. This was such a really good book. I normally don't like to read books written in first person but this one was done very well. The author kept surprising me with the turns the story was taking and I never guessed what was coming ahead of how the main character was finding things coming to light.

The Vigil is an interesting and complex story of a small town family, whose lives are not always quite what they seem resulting in secrets and forgiveness. Cheryl returns home to her small Louisiana hometown from Houston after her boyfriend began abusing her. She left town immediately after high school to avoid her mother's criticism and witnessing what she thought was her stepfather's domestic abuse. As she begins caring for an elderly hospice patient, she discovers his secrets and regrets over choices that he made. As Cheryl is integrating herself back into town and uncovering family secrets, she befriends her first love, whose wife (one of Cheryl's good friends) is in a nursing home in a comatose state and begins to reconnect with her Christian faith. These events trigger Cheryl's exploration and need for forgiveness. The story is well-written with several twists (some more predictable than others). Cheryl is a compelling character, and her kind heart and inquisitive nature pull the reader into the story. This is one of the best Christian novels that I have read and offers clear themes and directives without becoming preachy.

First book ive read by Marian P. Merritt and i really liked it,i recommended this book go get it,its worth it