Cover Image: The Nowhere Man

The Nowhere Man

Thx to Netgalley, Minotaur books and Gregg Hurwitz  for this ARC. This  is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it. I don’t usually read male authors but I have  found one I will in Mr. Hurwitz.
This was really interesting concept and the characters were so intriguing, I appreciate that I was also allowed the next two books in this series. I can’t wait to read it ..Thank you so much. I loved every line !
The Nowhere Man picks up smoothly where the first book ended. Evan learns his mentor is still alive and that some of the other Orphans have been contracted to eliminate him. Love this series.
What a brilliant sequel to Orphan X. While Orphan X had pulled me in to Evan's world, this book yanked me in with no regard for my feelings! I was so deep in Evan's mind, thanks to Gregg's exquisite talent for creating an engaging cast of characters.

Needless to say, where there is Smoak, there is fire! (Hat tip to Booklist for this phrase!)
After deciding he can't stop his ways and that it was safer for him alone Evan sets out again to right injustices against the little guys. Caught unawares Evan gets snagged and now has to get himself free or suffer the consequences. There's plenty of action and fighting which means a high body count and tons of excessively descriptive pages of fluff as Evan battles not only physically but emotionally as well. Unfortunately he's still out to save the world and with the surprise revelations now he may have a bigger reason to fight than ever.

I have to admit this time all of the imagery and descriptive narration just got old. I found myself scheming to bypass the more mundane because I wanted to know what happened. The author keeps the action going with plenty of twist and turns so I didn't want to miss out, since it ended in a cliffhanger I have to read the next one too.
Very reminiscent of the Jason Bourne stories but with more intensity and a more morally flexible protagonist.  Great reads!
This is the second book in the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz. While this is a good standalone book, I recommend reading the first book prior for some helpful background. Hurwitz is good at his craft, building tension and humanizing characters. A good read with plenty of action and adventure.
Good follow up to the first novel, Orphan X. Could be read as a stand alone but definitely better if read in sequence. Took me a little longer to get into this one, I was over half way through the book before I got that intense, can't stop turning the page feeling. The first half of the book felt somewhat repetitive and jumped around a lot more than the first one. Looking forward to reading more though, love Evan Smoak!
Evan's job has put him in some dangerous spots, but this one may be too much even for his skills.   When Evan gets abducted from the site of his latest job, he meets someone as meticulous as himself and he has plans for The Nowhere Man.   Another good, fast paced read, and more even more action packed than the first book.

Please note, I received a copy of this book to read from NetGalley, but it had no impact on my review.
Evan Smoak was taken into government custody as an 12-year old child and trained to serve as a soldier and an assassin.  Despite the violence, betrayal and the life that he's lead, Evan lives by a strict code.  Evan pays his way out of the government system and opens up his own shop. This time he works as a Robin Hood of sorts.  He's there to help those who can't rely on the regular justice system, those who need protection immediately and are in desperate straits.

Evan undertakes all sorts of dangerous, difficult tasks and is threatened with exposure.  He does this to right the scales of justice.  In many ways he reminds me of some of my favorite fictional action heroes (Jack Reacher!!).

In this book, Evan is the target of a billionaire with a desire for revenge. He's gathered together assassins for hire and several of Evan's old enemies that would be willing to pay to have his harmed.  Evan will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and out of the woodwork come years worth of enmity.  Isolated, tied up and imprisoned, Evan must find a way to survive.

The series is gripping and addictive!
Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz is a 2017 Minotaur Books publication.

This second book in the Orphan X series picks up pretty much where the first book left off. Evan Smoak is doing what he does best, helping people out of hopeless situations. In this case, a young girl is victimized by an online sex trade operation. But, when she tries to get out of the situation, her family is threatened. This is where Evan steps in. Once order is restored to his client he learns there are more victims of this scheme and he begins an urgent race against time to save a teenager being held in a shipping crate.

But, before he can complete his mission, he is ambushed and held captive by a strange, twisted man only out to drain Evan’s substantial bank account. But, with Evan Smoak, he may have gotten more than he bargained for.

As Evan plays a cat and mouse game with his captors, he learns some shocking information about Jack, his handler, and the man who raised him like his own son.

This second outing is not quite as tight or atmospheric as the first book, but is perhaps even more action packed, with evil, diabolical bad guys and many more fantastical twists and turns.

Now, if you are a stickler for realistic crime thrillers, this one might not be for you, as this set up really does require an ability to suspend belief. But, I am at a point where I don’t know if I really need every book I read to be purely realistic. I’m thinking our insistence on that point could stymie the creativity and imagination that makes fiction our first choice. Besides, this series was never meant to be your normal, run of the mill thriller.

So, buckle your seat belt and fall into Evan’s murky world of rogue government operatives and sociopaths, and allow yourself to jeer at the bad guys and cheer for the good ones. Enjoy the action, the suspense, and the non-stop thrill ride and take a break from hardcore reality for a while!

As the book winds down, and Evan turns introspective, allowing himself to believe he can live a normal life....

We get a little bit of a cliffhanger ending- a ‘to be continued’ kind of thing to ensure readers will tune in for the next episode. I don’t normally like that kind of strategy with books, but I didn’t mind it so much in this situation because it means Evan will be back and may face a challenge more personal than any he’s encountered thus far. Can’t wait!!
42 likes
Whoa, talk about high octane thrills! Evan Smoak is Jack Reacher on speed! Just when you think he cannot possibly get himself out of the impossible situation he has got himself into, he does and then ends up in an even more impossible situation.

Evan Smoak, previously known as Orphan X in a secret government assassins training program, has left the program but still uses is skills as the Nowhere Man to rescue people in dire need of his services. Evan is busy doing just that when he is kidnapped by a crazed madman and his cartel of thugs in a bid to extort money from him and swept away to a secure mountain location. They have no idea who they have captured but soon find out that this is no ordinary man. Evan can't expect any outside help as the only person he ever loved, his trainer and mentor is dead and he is being hunted by the remaining Orphans still working for the government program. But Evan is used to relying on himself and his special skills and has many inventive ways of causing mayhem.

I really enjoyed this sequel to Orphan X and the developing character of Evan as he reflects back on his childhood and training while he fights for his life. Lots of really high octane action, a fantastic finale to the kidnapping and a cliffhanger of an ending that sent me off to find the next instalment. Sure, much of the action is not believable but it is a lot of fun!
The Nowhere Man is the continued story of Evan Smoak, a former off-the-books assassin in the Orphan program, plucked from a foster home by his government handler and surrogate father who trained him to become a weapon while not losing his humanity.  After Smoak received an order to turn on another Orphan and eliminate him, he meets with his handler who is ambushed and killed and Smoak becomes the Nowhere Man - a borderline mythic figure who saves those who have nowhere else to turn.  But Smoak is hunted by his former fellow Orphans who will kill him if they find him.

The Nowhere Man picks up with Smoak rescuing a young woman from being targeted by a human trafficking ring and about to save another woman who is being shipped to her purchaser when he is ambushed and abducted.  Locked away in a chalet in a mountain valley, penned in by guards and snipers, Smoak is at the mercy of the shadowy Rene - a man obsessed with maintaining his youth and lavish lifestyle at any cost. Rene targeted Smoak as a rube whose bank account could be drained because he was convinced his money had been illegally obtained.  Smoak needs to fight his way out to rescue the woman who is about to delivered to her purchaser and the boy who is calling him on his destroyed phone.

I enjoyed The Nowhere Man - it really further developed Evan Smoak's character and was a nice second installment to the series.  My main criticism and the reason I gave it 4 stars vs 5 is that it started to feel repetitive and drag a bit toward the middle.  Overall, I've found Hurwitz's stories to be interesting, creative, and attention-grabbing.  I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
In this, the second book in the Orphan X series, Gregg Hurwitz again gives us a fast-paced story, with his fascinating main character, Evan Smoak, doing some soul-searching in between dishing out punishment to those who've earned it.  Evan Smoak has transformed himself into the Nowhere Man, who uses the "particular set of skills" he learned in a rogue government program to privately help ordinary citizens who find themselves in extreme danger.  All he asks in return is that they “pay it forward” by passing his phone number on to one person who needs his help. This time, though, he finds himself held captive by an extreme narcissist who wants to access his money (of which he has a considerable amount). Evan spends a fair amount of his captivity drugged up, and a fair bit wreaking havoc on his guards.  At the same time, he's also being pursued by another orphan, who's been tasked with eliminating him.  There's a lot of action, and once again the ending of this one left me ready to move on to the next one (Hellbent).  Well done, Mr. Hurwitz, well done!
Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books for providing a copy for an unbiased review.
A really good read. Evan Snoak AKA Orphan X puts a human trafficker out of business and then is located by an evil man chasing the fountain of youth and a millions of dollars. It takes all his skill to survive. I look forward to more from the author.
Thank you to Netgalley, Greg Hurwitz, St Martin’s Press and Minotaur books for the ARC for my review.
I am hooked on this series.  Lots of action and adventure.  I think Evan Smoak is my new hero.  Thanks to St. Martin’s Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Once again this author has written a book so full of tense action. What a great novel and a few twisted concepts. Love it!
This is is totally different that the first book. I found it a little harder to read as the hero isn't supposed to be vulnerable but Evan finds a way to help himself, and the innocents still needing help. I still feel that this is a great series and I can't wait to read the next one.
OK, I thought book one was AMAZING, and was cautiously optimistic but a bit fearful, as series like this sometimes peter out after such an initially strong showing - it's tough to follow up AMAZING, after all... But don't fear - book two not only did not disappoint, it upped the ante...

Evan Smoak is such a fabulous character - on one hand, the most talented and incredibly aware professional EVER. On the other, the most clueless self-aware person on a personal level... In this second book, Hurwitz makes Smoak more human, and that was a brave decision but one that I think paid off marvelously. The tables turn in this book, and watching how Smoak handles that tells the reader so much more about him than a recitation of backstory (no matter how carefully presented) ever could have, and that telling really added a depth to the character and series.

The secrets and action are still thick on the ground (thicker, if that was even possible). Watching the delicate rolling out of facts and fictions throughout the course of these novels has been a delicious treat - the reader is given just enough to lead you along, but never so much that you fail to feel like the rug was pulled out from under you when things finally (inevitably) go sideways.

This is an incredible series and I can't wait to see what comes next!!
This book picked up where the first one left off.  (Orphan X).  This one is different than the first.  Evan was part of a program of orphans that were trained to kill.  In this one he is captured and imprisoned.  They want his money and plan to torture him for it.  Evan has been trained by the best.  The story does strain creditably.  The writing is great. The action scenes are good.   Most of the book he was captured, and we see more about his history and how he is foils the bad guys.

I enjoyed the first one more, But  liked the cliff hanger and plan to read the third on in the series, Hellbent.
Evan sure loves his vodka!  that you Net Galley for allowing me to read this second installment of Orphan X
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz another excellent book in the Evan Smoak series! I absolutely have a hard time putting these books down once I pick them up. Evan Smoak was back in this book with a vengeance, with quite a few butts to kick and he does it in only the way that an Orphan can do it. I highly recommend this book and this series! Thank you Netgalley and Minotaur Books for allowing me to read this book and give my honest opinion.