Cover Image: The Nowhere Man

The Nowhere Man

The second in the Orphan-X series - seemed even more James Bond-ish than the first book!
I would recommend reading the first book as this continues from where the first book left off and immediately starts the action and then continues all the way through the book.
There are several occurrences when I wondered just how on earth he was able to get out of a sticky situation, but sure enough there was a slim chance that worked out.
I read this book pretty quickly in a couple of sittings as it kept me hooked.
Recommended.
I accidentally sent the review for a different book with a similar name. I don't know how to delete this review, and I have to give it at least one star in order to write this. Sorry.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the first book in the series, and this is an excellent follow up.  I didn't like it quite as much as the first one, but it is still very strong.  The setting is more claustrophobic this time around, which makes the pace in the middle of the book move slower.  But it never drags.

More time is spent in Orphan V's head this go around, and low and behold, she's more complex than I thought she was in the first book.  Can't wait to see where the author goes with this.

And again, Evan's struggles when interacting with his neighbors, especially little Peter and his mom, are hilarious.
I received an ecopy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Nowhere Man was an interesting sequel after Orphan X.  I actually waffled over whether I was enjoying it more or less because there seemed to be a bit of a pacing issue. Certain parts really seemed to click, and others I really had to trudge to get through. It could have been just me though.  Our main character, Evan, is still a bit of  vigilante enigma... aren't they always?  This book seemed more violent to me too... which, whatever, that doesn't bother me, but some people aren't hip to that... so I figured I'd throw that warning in.  For the most part, I was entertained and I'll read book 3... because I have to know how this all ends up. 3 stars.
Although this book didn’t hold my attention as well as the first one, Orphan X, it was still a great action story. I had a hard time seeing the villain... that almost felt like a detour to the real story and I kept looking for that part to end. When it finally did, at around 80%, the story intensified and had a brilliant ending. Solid overall, just not my favorite.

Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the digital version in exchange for my honest review.
This is the second in a series featuring Evan, a highly trained black ops assassin. He decided to get out of the work in the first novel, Orphan X. I liked that novel because it had several of Evan's experiences of helping people who were in desperate situations without any resources.

This novel is different and pits Evan against a single foe, a very wealthy man. While there are many exciting and suspenseful scenes in this novel, the overall plot was not very interesting. Evan is held captive and tries to escape...several times. That seemed repetitive to me. There were also a number of odd characters, almost too much so.

The whole plot did not seem to go along with the course set in Orphan X. I liked Evan as a helper of the helpless. In this novel, it is Evan who must be helped. The situation just did not seem to move Evan forward as a character. There is one more novel in this series. Because I liked Orphan X so much, I'll give the next one a try. If this had been the first novel I had read in the series I am not sure I would have read another.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
Evan Smoak is back. I liked how the book zigs when you think it's going to zag. Dex and Rene were unique, creepy characters. Hurwitz comes up with some interesting situations to put the Nowhere Man in that I hadn't seen before. I would have been fine without the Orphan program tie ins this time around though. I have to say there were some elements towards the end I didn't care for. [Having Jack come back from the dead just in the nick of time and the stuff ultimately with the kid, I didn't care for.  All in all though, another intense thriller from Hurwitz.
Following the debut novel in this series, Hurwitz has delivered another fast paced thriller starting Evan Smoak. This book is filled with plenty of action and violence, plus more character development and background from Evan's life. It took me a while to get around to reading this series, but I'm very happy I did!

I would recommend this book to fans of thrillers and suspense. I received this as a free ARC from St. Martin's Press on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This series has become one of my favorites to read! I am so involved with the characters now. (side note i accidentally read book 3 first but whatcha gonna do lol). You really see Evan's resourcefulness shine through in these novels. I'm amazed at how well he can put it back together mentally and emotionally to get his sh** done. I've always been a fan of Jason Bourne-esq novels and this series of novels has quickly become my absolute new favorite,.This book has lots of depth and the thrill of it will keep you hanging on to every word.
Greg Hurwitz started his Orphan X series with a unique story line.  He gave us Evan Smoak, a good man in a bad job that he left as soon as he could.  The time spent developing the character and his background was an immense help in The Nowhere Man, the second book in the Orphan X series.  This time, the bad guys come to Evan in a kidnapping gone wrong.  How Evan manages to escape and make the bad guys pay for their mistakes is again, original.  Spoiler alert:  the good guys win!
Continuing the story of Evan Smoak, Gregg Hurwitz had delivered another thrilling read.
The Nowhere Man has been captured, but....
This is an action packed book that reads like a James Bond movie.
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

Get ready for more action from Orphan X. And this tale is full of action from start to finish. An unconscionable man kidnaps Evan (Orphan X), imprisoning him for money. He tries to force him to turn over 27 Million Dollars. When Evan refuses his difficulties begin. With each refusal to turn the money over he is tortured more and more, each one with increasing intensity.

When Evan attempts to escape we see his skill at turning difficult situations into possibilities. We see some of his humanity as he struggles with the forces gathered against him. His strength is depleted with the horrors he has to deal with. At his weakest moments he is called by a child who needs his help.

As the second book in the Orphan X series this book set up his abilities, skills and thought processes, and we see the basic humanity of Evan Smoak. If the third book is a good as the first two I will be anxious to start reading it. Gregg Hurwitz is a remarkable action writer.
Loving this series so far. Looking forward to reading the next installment. Mr Hurwitz writes the kinds of stories I enjoy - he captures my attention and keeps it from the first page to the last.
Different from the first book in the series, but still good. I didn't have any trouble staying interested in what was going on.

Evan's in a completely different situation from what he's used to for most of this book. I felt like I got to understand a lot more about him and his motivations. The violence didn't surprise me, the creepiness did a little bit.

There was a little humor, and I was really impressed with how well the author worked that in. The world building was fantastic. Pretty sure I could have drawn a decent diagram of the place where Evan was being kept by the end of the book.

Small note: For those who preferred the first book to this one, I highly recommend not missing the next one. What I learned about Evan here made the next one mean more. Also, Candy became a whole lot more interesting. Just a thought.
Evan finds himself captured in an unknown location, under guard by a number of trigger-happy mercenaries, and at the mercy of a sadistic, opportunistic individual with unlimited resources. His captors think they've got the best of Evan, but they don't understand who they're dealing with.

This book is uneven, parts are slow and almost redundant and then bam you remember why you like the first one so much and how kick ass Evan Smoak really is. The last 1/3 of the book really redeemed this book for me. Since Evan spends most of this book captive he isn't doing what he does best which is go after the bad guys.  I do like that Evan seems to be introspective during his capture and that plays out in the end, and I'm wondering where it will lead. Overall this is a good book but I'm hoping that the next one in the series will get us back to seeing more of Evan in action.
Once again Gregg Hurwitz has knocked it out of the park!  I could not read this book fast enough.  I was constantly on the edge of my seat.  I can not wait for the next book!
Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz is book two in the Evan Smoak series. This book could easily be read as a standalone, although I would suggest reading book one as well. Active members of the Orphan program nearly succeeded in assassinating  Evan. After the confrontation, Evan resumes his undertaking of helping those unable to turn to anyone else. While tying up loose ends with a human trafficking ring, Evan is kidnapped.

Most of Nowhere Man takes place while Evan is in his kidnapper's custody. What proceeds is an intricate game of cat and mouse where both men consistently underestimate each other. This conflict makes for suspenseful interactions that kept me eager for a resolution. I was honestly unsure how Evan would make it out of his situation. When the ending did come, it was quite epic and served as a turning point for Evan.

I am surprised at how attached I have become to this character. The author is not only presenting a thrilling vigilante story. Evan is a vastly sympathetic character that the reader gets to know slowly through his adventures. I, of course, have already started the next book in the series. I can tell reaching the end will make for a bittersweet wait until more books come out. Nowhere Man was given to me by St Martin's Press through NetGalley for my honest opinion.  I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions.
It's very difficult to provide a review for this fantastic thriller without spoiling the plot, but I will do my best. Firstly, although this is the second book in an ongoing series featuring enigmatic and charismatic protagonist Evan Smoak, and I do highly recommend reading the earlier book, Orphan X, this book is more than capable of standing on its own merits , and can be enjoyed without having read the previous installment, the author smoothly incorporates enough background into the storytelling to help a new reader catch up without it becoming tedious for those of us already familiar with the character's somewhat unusual background and upbringing,
Once again the reader is taken on an adrenaline filled thrill ride, with fights and fisticuffs aplenty to keep them hooked from the very first page to the final one, with at least one shocking revelation along the way that seems likely to have a huge impact as the series continues. While several familiar faces make an appearance , we are also introduced to one of the strangest and most sinister villains I have come across in some time.
I read and reviewed an  copy of the book courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher,all opinions are my own.
Book 2 of the Orphan X series and, again, Gregg Hurwitz does NOT disappoint. Like the first book—Orphan X—it grabs you from page 1 and does not let go. Suspenseful, intriguing, and full of both subtle and dry wit, this novel just made me love reading more of Evan Smoak. If you love characters with lots of grit and plot lines packed with action, pick up Orphan X first, and then read this next. If you’re new to Spy/Espionage/Black Ops/Political Thrillers, this might just be what you’re looking for. Definitely difficult to put down. The action will keep you long past the time you should have turned off the light and gone to sleep. Thank you again, #Netgalley, #Gregghurwitz, and #minotaurbooks for honoring me with this novel in exchange for my honest review. I am definitely a fan.
Gregg Hurwitz is a great writer/storyteller. Evan has grown as a character,  feeling more like an actual person out there in the world rather than a fictional book character.

The thrilling hide and seek Evan is having to do would give anyone a panic attack, but he takes it all in stride.

I feel like I can’t give you more in this review for fear of giving away something I shouldn’t. Maybe that feeling stems from Evan being a secretive person.