There I Go Again

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2017

I never watched St Elsewhere or Knight Rider or Boy Meets World, but I knew William Daniels from other movies and tv and know him to be a wonderful character actor. This memoir tells of his start on Broadway & radio in NYC through his career in Hollywood. I enjoyed the stories, especially those about the movies & his costars. In the realm of celebrity memoirs, this one is ok, but not remarkable.  Although the content is likely new to readers, I suspect it's only because Daniels is not an "A-list" celebrity, so has not been all over the pages of People. An interesting read with some insight into child stars in the 30's and some fascinating anecdotes, but not likely to have a broad appeal.

Overall reaction to the book? I love autobiographies to pieces and wish more celebrities and other prominent figures would write them. As it is I only know William Daniels as Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World but that character made such an impact on me as a kid that I had to know more about the actor that portrayed him so well.

And what an interesting life Mr. Daniels has had.

From his early beginnings as a child actor, to Broadway, to tv, William Daniels’ life is one interesting experience after another. Through his roles, readers get to know the man behind them. He reveals which of his many characters is most like him, and which character he enjoyed playing the most.

There I Go Again...

See Full Review

This is such an interesting book about the life of William Daniels from the time he was a child and on through his many years of performing. His mother was a "stage mom", pushing him to stick with it when he didn't want to act or sing or dance but just wanted to be a "normal" child. He laments about missing out on his childhood, but he also talks about the many experiences - both good and not-so-good - he had through the years.of his career.
Readers will remember him as the schoolteacher, Mr. Feeny, in Boy Meets World, or the voice of KITT the talking car in Knight Rider, or Dr. Craig in St. Elsewhere. He had many roles and met and worked with many other famous...

INTERESTING LIFE

Most of us have grown up with William Daniels in one form or another be it TV or films. The problem is if you asked someone if they like William Daniels the odds are that they wouldn’t know him by name. Once you showed them his picture there is little doubt they’d recognize him immediately.

Daniels has been acting since the sixties in films and on TV, most recognizably in the film 1776 and the TV series ST. ELSEWHERE and BOY MEETS WORLD. My first memories of him was a short lived television comedy called CAPTAIN NICE. I still think it was an underrated show. But the fact is most of us don’t know the stories that took place behind the scenes. Daniels wasn’t one of those...

See Full Review
William Daniels is one of my favorite actors. I was thrilled when I saw that this book was being offered by NetGalley and University of Nebraska Press for my honest review.

To read his story from all of the shows that I have seen in him was fantastic. This book was wonderfully written and I loved each page. Thank you for allowing me to become better acquainted with you Mr. Daniels.

Also thank you for NetGalley and University of Nebraska Press for allowing me to receive this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book may be found on Amazon HERE! and on Barnes and Noble HERE!

First off let me state that I am not a particular fan of Mr. Daniels. I don't mean that I dislike his work or have anything against him, I am just saying that I have never sought out anything simply because he was in it.

I was only vaguely aware of his career prior to reading this book and most of what I was familiar with was the television work. I had no idea that he had been a child performer, was on a show in the early days of radio or really much at all about his stage career. I simply chose this book because it seemed like it might be interesting.

Mr. Daniels relates how he began his entertainment career as a "song-and-dance-man" around the age of four and became part...

See Full Review
As much as I like William Daniels and was eager to learn more about him, the book wasn't all that engaging. Also, if you're a Boy Meets World fan, like me, you'll find his chapter on it disappointing. He doesn't mention much about his time with the show aside from how he got the job. I understand the show doesn't make up Daniels' entire career, but it's a big part of it and I'm sure other readers were hoping to hear more about his time with there.

I knew William Daniels had been in a number of things but I will always know and love him as Mr. Feeny. I am a child of ABCs Friday Night Family and grew up on Boy Meets World. (Let's ignore the abomination that is the sequel). His dry delivery never failed to tickle me and his underlying warmth brought a tear to my eye, especially in the finale (omg when he touches that desk!!!).

BUT I was very impressed to learn that he has been in show business nearly his entire life, thanks to his domineering stage mother Irene. Lord Irene, many a therapist has probably put their kids through college thanks to the number Irene did on Mr. Daniels. I do like that amount of introspection he has and...

See Full Review
I enjoyed reading all about Mr. Daniel's adventures in acting. He has certainly lived an interesting life and has met so many great actors. He is of course is a great actor himself. I especially enjoyed chapters discussing his personal life. I also loved to read about his experience on Boy Meets World.
William Daniels is such an interesting man. Of course like many others I read this for Boy Meets World insight. I wasn't expecting such a well-rounded read. Not only does he talk about his well-known roles but also delves into child acting. Just...what a life! Truly a great autobiography that was hard to put down.
Review was declined. Thank you for the opportunity.
I knew of William Daniels mostly from Boy Meets World and while I knew he'd been in other big shows, they weren't any that I watched. Reading about his prolific career was such a treat! I found him very charming and down to earth in this quick read!

As soon as I saw this book was written by Bill Daniels, I knew I had to read it. My introduction to Mr. Daniels was the stereotypical millennial path via Boy Meets World. From there, I fell in love with the man that played Mr. Feeny and set out to watch all of his movies and shows. I fell in love with Bill Daniels all over again when, within seconds of picking up his memoir, I read:

"I wrote this manuscript in longhand on yellow legal pads, so I have to first thank Rachael Lobermann, who spent many hours typing it all up . . . Laurie Horowitz took the typed pages and made them resemble something that looked like a book, with paragraphs and everything.”

This book reads exactly as...

See Full Review
I'm a child of the 80s and a teenager of the 90s, so William Daniels is Mr. Feeny & KITT to me.

I loved his memoir! I found his story- which he wrote in longhand, to be transcribed for print - engaging, and I feel I learned a lot about the actor behind the "Hey, aren't you that guy?" face.

From his start as a child actor to his two years as SAG president, Bill Daniels tells us candidly about his roles, both personal and professional, over the past eight decades in show business. It's an impressive run and a worthwhile read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the review copy.
There I Go Again was everything I wanted and expected it to be. Mr. Daniels has been a part of my life since I was a kid - from St. Elsewhere - Knight Rider - Boys Meets World - Girl Meets World. It was a pleasure to have Mr. Daniels share his life stories with us. There are so many gems in the book - that I plan on purchasing the hard cover once it's release. This is definitely a book I can read more than once.
Whether you call him John Adams, Dr. Mark Craig, Kitt, or Mr. Feeney this book will let you see how his early life and career, made him into the actor and person that generations of people have gotten to watch over the years through his presence on stage, tv, and movies.

I knew William Daniels from St. Elsewhere, Knight Rider, Boy Meets World, and countless appearances on other television shows. But what I didn't know is that that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Starting out as a school-aged "song and dance man," Daniels has worked in show business for over eighty years. He went from the Broadway stage into the Army, then off to Northwestern to study theater, and on to New York to figure out how to be a working actor. It was there, in Lee Strasberg's acting class, that he finally learned what it meant to be an actor, not just an entertainer. From there, everything changed.

His career went on to include lots more Broadway plays and...

See Full Review
I've always enjoyed memoirs by celebrities and this was no exception.  It's fun to see 'behind the scenes' and get an idea of what people are really like.

William Daniels isn't someone I would consider a 'big star', but rather someone who seems to be a dependable and accomplished actor (and isn't that actually better than just being 'a star'?)  He's one of those actors that most people won't know by name but they'll recognize his face.  And his voice!

I especially enjoyed the accounts of Daniels' interactions with other actors and learning which ones are the 'good guys' and which ones aren't.

A well-written, entertaining read.

You know how they say "Don't meet your heroes?" Sometimes...they are right.

William Daniels will always be Mr. Feeny to anyone of my generation. It doesn't matter what else he is in--any time William Daniels appears on screen, calls of FEEEEEENY are heard.

Of course, as an actor of age, I assumed he had a career long before Boy Meets World, so his memoirs intrigued me. I snatched that book right up when it appeared on my NetGalley dash!

Unfortunately...William Daniels is not near as well spoken as our beloved Mr. Feeny. It sounds like he led a pretty interesting life--he grew up during the depression, was a child actor on Broadway, trained for WWII, and has been in...