The Princess Diarist

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Hearing Fisher recount her life, nothing held back and irreverent, was a great read. This was also bittersweet as I completed it shortly after her death. You could hear her voice in every word. Great stories, and also some wisdom from a woman who was open about the struggles she faced even as life seemed to throw open all of it's doors for her.
Beautiful book, loved it. If you are a star wars fan, or just a Carrie Fisher fan in general, I highly recommend this book.
This book broke my heart and made me truly sad that the world has lost such an wonderful icon. It's such an interesting look into who she was as a person before she became a woman loved by the world. If you read only one book this year, it should be this one. It's such an intimate look into who she was as a person.
I had to give up on this book for a bit after Carrie Fisher died. It was just too sad. Finally returned to finish the book and am happy I did. Fisher had a fine sense of humor and the book reads well. I was worried about her affair with Harrison Ford, as I heard about this before I finished the book. But she handled it well, so it wasn't too awful.  Also, I never really gave much thought as to what an icon the Star Wars movies made her. I'm the same age as her, and I could never in a million years image what it would have been like to be a teen in a movie that shot me to stardom in a role I would be in forever on and off the screen! She was a strong woman. I think I would have had a melt down I would never have recovered from!  Her fans will enjoy this book. She seems like she was a wonderful, funny, personable woman. I miss her. So sad.
Carrie tells us about her experiences being the Princess good and bad. I got engrossed in the book and couldn't put it down. I have since also listened to the audio book and highly recommend you check it out as well. It truly is the best audio book I have heard read by an author. She will be greatly missed.
I was excited to read this book and gain some behind-the-scenes scoop on the Star Wars films and what life was like for Carrie Fisher. Unfortunately I found this book a bit dull, hard to follow, and not at all well written. I'm a huge fan of Ms. Fisher, so this was a disappointing read, especially since I know that she could write better.
I loved this book. I have been putting it off for a while, because I miss Carrie a lot, but it was good to hear/read her voice again. This book recounts her experience on the first Star Wars film (Episode IV). From the audition process to the wacky British crew to her affair with Harrison Ford, you're likely to learn a little something and have a good time. I loved reading an older Carrie, who has mastered honesty and not giving too many fucks, talk about nineteen-year old who did care very much what everyone else thought Plus, it's nice to revisit one of my favorite films from a behind-the-scenes perspective.

It's pretty short, and I was actually taken by surprise by the ending. I thought I had more time to enjoy it. The good news, though, is that she has left behind other books for me to enjoy. In short, I definitely recommend this book.
I am a fan of the authors prior books so I was thrilled to receive this for review. My personal opinion is my own.
I began to read this after Carrie passed and after the passing of her Mother.  It was so interesting to me to read about a young Carrie, knowing her other books as i do. She wrote this as a series of journal entries when she was working on the first Star Wars set . So the reader has a great insight into movie making from the viewpoint of a young girl new to the business of acting. I enjoyed reading  this personal journey of Carrie's  from her own words and found it all the more moving after her sad passing.  How can anyone not recommend this poignant book about one of our best loved writers and actresses.
Carrie Fisher brings to life the wonder moments behind the scenes of her most famous films and gives us a glimpse into her own fragile, thrilling and complex personal life.
Carrie Fisher, you are missed. I enjoyed this book. 5/5
The Princess Diarist is a great account by Carrie Fisher. Written in her witty style it tells the story of her early years figuring out life, and all the messy bits that happen. Well written and fascinating, it's a great look into her head and some of what went on behind the scenes filming Star Wars.
I enjoyed hearing Carrie Fisher narrate this book. She really brought it to life. She did on occasion seem to beat a dead horse, repeating the same story in different ways over and over. There was another reader for her diary excerpt. I found her diaries to be interesting. They felt very much like  a teenager's wild imaginings and stream of consciousness. Very bad poetry that she probably thought great, profound and witty at the time. I have always enjoyed reading women's diaries, but I'm not sure I could have managed hers. Maybe they would be better in print. I found them kind of embarrassing this way. Very straightforward insight into the life of an accidental superstar. Great for her fans, I think.
The Princess Diarist is a book that I had requested to review before Carrie passed, but was not approved until after, which made reading it take on a whole different set of emotions for me.  This book is Carrie's take on what happened while they were filming Star Wars.  I had never read any of Carrie's other books, but I think I will go back now and read them because I love her writing style and she is hilarious! Her retelling of these stories is absolutely great and a lot of fun to read.  In addition to her recalling stories there are also excerpts from her actual diary from when they were filming.  She details about her affair with Harrison Ford and all sorts of other interactions she has had with fans at cons and the book just made me want to be her friend.  The book just makes it seem like she is in the room with you telling you these stories, not that you are writing a book.  Such a wonderful book.

I received a free e-copy of this book in order to write this review,
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher is a highly recommended personal insight into her life as Princess Leia and her affair with Harrison Ford during the filming of Star Wars.

In 1977 she was just a teenager, 19, when she accepted the role of Princess Leia. She never wanted to be an actor, but had a role in Shampoo in 1975 and auditioned for the role of Princess Leia. For several reasons Carrie Fisher had kept quiet for years about her affair with Harrison Ford during the filming of the original Star Wars. With the discovery of journals she had written during that time, she finally decided that it was time to tell the story.

First she discusses the effect being Princess Leia has had on her life. Obviously in such an iconic role being forever known as Princess Leia has had a profound effect on her life, whether she wanted it to or not.  When Fisher met Ford, she was inexperienced, while Ford was an older married man. It was an affair that lasted just while they were filming Star Wars. It likely had little effect on Ford, but Fisher was young and impressionable. Only about half of the book includes the dairy entries and poems she wrote, which all clearly show how she struggled with keeping emotions out of it when as a young woman she was full of emotions, insecurities, and was extremely vulnerable.

This is not a tell-all book full of details about the affair nor is it a detailed account of filming Star Wars. It is Carrie Fisher sharing part of herself, from a time long ago, and how the events influenced her life. Fisher is a good writer, and she captures her feeling about the events honestly. She also writes candidly about autograph and photo-op events.  Since this is the last of the autobiographical books Fisher will write, it deserves at least four stars.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of the Penguin Publishing Group via Netgalley.
AMZ & B&N
I remember the first time I saw Star Wars Episode Four and Fell in love with this powerful, beautiful women who could not only shoot a gun but was a princess to boot. So reading this was an in-depth look into not only my favorite princess but the amazing women who played her. I really loved the beginning of this book. Fisher was witty, comedic, but most of all she was completely honest. If there is one thing I appreciate when I really a nonfiction memoir, it is honesty.

However, once she got to the Star Wars portion in her life, however, I felt like the book felt a little flat for me. Maybe it was the tangents she seemed so constantly interested in going down. Maybe because I had a weird veil lifted from my eyes, or maybe I just couldn't get as into it as I wanted to. I did like her poetry and her diary entries as it seemed like I was sharing something intimate with Fisher. Something I am sure if she had known would have made fun of me for. While I did like her book her strongest parts were the opening and ending of the book for me. While a little disappointed that I did not love this book, but I did like it enough to rate it 3.5 stars.

If you loved any of Fisher's past work then you would like this book as well.
This was a great read. Carrie had a great sense of humor that had me laughing out loud quite a few times. Her writing is easy to read and enjoyable. There is swearing, so if that's a turn off, just wanted to warn you. But nothing was really hidden in this memoir. She wrote it like it was and let you come to your own conclusions. 4 out of 5 stars.
I read Carrie Fisher's other memoir, "Wishful Drinking," after her death this past year, and thought it would be great to follow that up with another book of hers. Unfortunately, this one is very hard to follow and read, and the journal scans are non-existant in eBook format, which was really disappointing.

If you're looking for some lurid details of her life in Hollywood over the course of the Star Wars movies, this is the book you've been waiting for. Everyone else? I'd borrow it from the library before committing to it.
Thank you to Net Galley for the opportunity to read The Princess Diarist. This is my honest review.

Reading this after Carrie Fisher's passing was bittersweet. In the beginning she talks a bit about her earlier life. Most of the book is really her reflecting about what being Princess Leia has meant to her in good and bad and indifferent ways.

I think fans will appreciate this.
I was deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Carrie Fisher last year and even more sorry when her 'unsinkable' mother, Debbie Reynolds, followed her so quickly.  I had requested an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley months ago and had actually forgotten about it when they granted my request.  Not sure what took so long, but all in all, I found this book disappointing.  As I read it, I felt like Ms. Fisher simply spewed words into a tape recorder and someone transcribed her ramblings verbatim.  It often seemed disjointed with jumbled thoughts and ramblings.  I enjoyed reading about her Star Wars experiences (like how Princess Lea got her hairdo!), but Fisher's off-screen antics were just not interesting to me.  Maybe the book was rushed to press without proper editing although I'm not 100% sure even that would have helped.  Glad I read it.  Glad to be done with it!