Cover Image: Sloshies

Sloshies

SLOSHIES is an interesting read, as it starts with an introduction to the history of the Sloshies brand before describing the equipment, methods and ingredients required to create many of their signature frozen cocktails.

As a reader from the UK, I did find it somewhat difficult (and in some cases impossible) to source some of the specific products used but after substituting similar products, I still managed to successfully produce some tasty & refreshing Sloshies.

The recipes themselves are well laid out & easy to follow, and are supplemented with lots of helpful hints.  Gorgeous bright photographs throughout the book make it a joy to flick through.
I loved this recipe book. If you're looking to host a party or barbecue this summer, then look no further for your alcoholic drinks recipes! I made three different recipes, including a chocolatey one made with peppermint schnapps and a sweet one made with amaretto, and all of the drinks I made were delicious. I did find that several of the recipes required liquor I'd never heard of or that weren't too common, so just be aware that you may need to purchase alcohol specifically for a recipe. But other than that, I highly recommend this book if you're interested in making alcoholic slushies - delicious!
I have to admit to having to give this several read through's before I understood it all. Some of the language was odd and not to be devoured when you have a hangover. That said the concoctions looked delicious and the mixology of it was explained well so as to be accessible for beginners. Although unless you have part time shares in an off-license it might not be financially viable to try them all it would make a fun party idea for everyone to bring a bottle to mix with.
Fun fun fun book. Great tasting recipes & fantastic pictures of yummy looking drinks. It was a great help for the 4th of July! And the title
Sloshies is perfect!

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Delicious, boozy goodness! Perfect recipe book for when it becomes unbearably hot outside but you still want to have a drink.
Sloshies sounded like the perfect book for summer. Some amazing frozen adult beverages for hot summer days laying by the pool, fun family get togethers, or just a hot day. I love a good fruity, frozen drink.

Sloshies has a recipe for everyone. All different fruit flavors are covered and everything from really strong liquor to a lighter taste too. The different drinks, especially anything with strawberries or watermelon for me, was amazing. I was able to try a few of these and they were sweet, refreshing, cold, and beautiful! My biggest issue was the ingredients were not really simple. I was thinking these were ingredients I'd have laying around, or common liquors. A lot of the liquor ingredients were ones I had never heard of. Now I'm sure it would be easy to swap out the recommended brand for another brand, but I felt for full effect I had to use the one the recommended. They weren't always easy to find in stores either. There were a few I had to search for because it wasn't common or it was really expensive, which I feel would be a turnoff to many people trying this book.

Even with the expensive alcohol and the difficulty in finding some of it, I think this could still be great with substituted brands, but same flavors. I recommend everyone to try it out, tell me your favorite drinks, and share it with your friends this summer!
I enjoyed browsing through all the recipes and can't wait to hold a backyard party in order to try many of these drinks out!

Although a little time consuming to make if you are only wanting a drink at night - the recipes would be great when having company - pick a few and have all the ingredients ready to go and you will be a bar tending master!!!
This book makes me want to spend August in Kansas City trying every one of their Snow & Co. cocktails. Okay, so that isn't going to happen. Jerry Nevins has made it easy and amusing to make them all myself. Wonderful recipes. I expected that. The copy that precedes the recipe section and included with each recipe is quite entertaining. My favorite summer drink has been Bourbon slush. Now I can make it with fresh ingredients and enjoy it even more with a healthier recipe which does not include chemicals, frozen concentrate, etc.
A great book with unique cocktails and the names are so fancy.......
I have to say, I was really quite excited when I was approved to receive an advance copy of Sloshies by Jerry Nevins. I have a family reunion coming up in July and what better time to serve up boozy frozen cocktails than the middle of the summer heat?

My excitement turned to absolute glee when I learned this was from Jerry Nevins of Snow & Co, a Kansas City-based frozen cocktail bar. I love being able to support and promote local. I love it even more when they get it SO FLIPPIN’ RIGHT.

This book. I love it. From the design, which is smart and easy to browse, to the recipes, which sound fantastic. As I mention below, I want to make pretty much everything in the book. But I think I’d start in the Tart section and try out the Cha Cha Bucha, lovely combination of lemoncello, kombucha and vodka. Or maybe a Limey Bastard?  Lemon, lime, cucumber liqueur, and gin? From there, I’d move into the Sweet section and serve up a Floaty McFloat Face. Root beer, whiskey, Irish cream. Moving into the Spiced section, the Ginger Grant is calling my name. Ginger beer, gin, and cranberry bitters. And on. And on. And on.

Oh Jerry. You’ll make a lush out of me yet. And I’m looking forward to every sip.
This was a very easy to read and understand cookbook. Right off the bat you get an introduction to syrup and infusions, garnishes and then examples of glasses to use with each cocktail. This is going to come in handy this Summer.
Great summer recipe book!  Love that there are recipes for the syrups, etc.  Perfect timing - great recipes!
My husband and i will be sloshing our way through the summer!!!!
Amazing recipes! I seriously cannot wait to try them this summer.
I really like this book. I am so interested in I can't wait for it come out so I can enjoy it. I hope the recipes aren't too hard to do though because I'm an amateur.
I voluntarily read and used this book for my honest review.  I just loved it and couldn't quit trying the new recipes.  I can't wait till our summer parties to try them out on my friends.
Great book. Lots of great recipes and ideas. Brilliant for the coming summer months
The recipes look delicious and fun to make! Would be great to enjoy during the summer when it's hotter than hell here in California.

Too bad I don't have an ice cream maker or that sort of equipment. Would be easy to make if I did have one, though.
Unless you have the time, kitchen space, and funds-- not to mention a love of dishwashing-- to make these drinks at least weekly, I can't see owning this book as useful for most individuals.  The ingredients are typically pretty specialist, so I couldn't even recommend it for small libraries: Rose hip liqueur?  Maraschino liqueur, organic cucumber liqueur, elderflower liqueur?  You can't buy that anywhere around our small town.  Plus, several brands or ingredients only appeared once or twice in the whole book-- that's a pretty specialized ingredient.  In fact, looking at the "Drinks organized by liquor" index (Appendix #4) (a very nice feature, actually), it's more than just a handful of bottles that only get trotted out once or twice.

The book also isn't super accessible.  I don't drink mixed drinks much, so I don't know what prosecco is, what "shrub" refers to, or what a grenada is-- a word used heavily in the first chapter but never defined. Brand names were tossed around as if the reader would be familiar with them, too.  So, not for beginners.

Maybe all these faults put me off, but to cap it all, each drink title seemed a rather sad and desperate pop-culture reference,  and the little descriptions for each were equally hokey.  In short, do not recommend.  A better book is People's pops: 55 recipes for ice pops, shave ice, and boozy pops from Brooklyn's coolest pop shop by Nathalie Jordi, David Carrell, and Joel Horowitz.  Just change the shape of how you freeze (ziploc freezer bag instead of popsicle).  People's pops also provides more realistic amounts-- Sloshies figures you want 40 ounces of finished product.  We're a 2-adult, 1-drink-a-night (if that) type house, so 16 ounces is plenty.

Seriously, hibiscus liqueur.  How long would it take to use up that bottle.  Decades?  Generations?

... to be fair, I did write down two recipes that seem actually doable.