Cover Image: Buzz Books 2017: Spring/Summer

Buzz Books 2017: Spring/Summer

Another great edition to the Buzz Books family!

I loved reading through the titles of the amazing books coming out this spring.

In the Fiction section I'm interested in:

Anthony Horowitz -Magpie Murders - I've head so many great things about this book!

The Changling

Sing, Unburied, Sing

Woman no 17

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley

The Book of Joan

Debut Fiction:

American War - Love that the except of this book is available!

Final Girls

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O

The Blinds

Nonfiction:

Defying Reality: The Inside Story of Virtual Reality

Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked

DNA is not Destiny

Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

Looking forward to digging into these great books!
Love being able to preview a range of titles all at once and look forward to every Buzz Books release.
I love Buzz Books reviews.  It is great for book clubs and reader's advisories.
This is one ok I look forward to reading.  I am amazed at the titles included.  Please keep this going!
I always look forward to this publication.  As a book blogger, it keeps me in the know of new releases and getting the chance to read excerpts helps me hone my list of books I need to find.  LOVE IT!
Too many gems to choose from :) Gave me great recommendations for my summer TBR and I love the fact that the extracts are so long and the writer's details so full. Indispensable for all book bloggers
Some good stories, some not so good. It's a sample ,so
I found this very useful, especially when working on readers' advisory for customers.
As I read this book I made a list of all of the books that sparked my interest. I sure have my work cut out for me!
This is a great collection of excerpts of upcoming books for the month of March 2017.

It contains an introduction followed by a section with a list of "The Notables", "Highly Anticipated", "Emerging Voices", "In Addition", "Debut Fiction", "Commercial Fiction", and Nonfiction. After that section there are excepts by publishers. I particularly enjoyed the excerpt for MAGPIE MURDERS by Anthony Horowitz.

Overall, a great list of buzzing titles for Spring/Summer 2017.
No review, but as always, appreciate the preview of upcoming titles and the ability to request digital copies.
I always look forward to these seasonal editions of buzz books, because it provides some intriguing excerpts to the most hot or anticipated books of the seasons, and also helps me decide if this was a book that I want to request or not. This was no exception and I enjoyed using it as a great resource.

**Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.**
Buzz Books, where have you been all my life? I only discovered your existence in the Fall/Winter edition and immediately was immersed in the potential excellent books I would be able to uncover. I was so excited to find the Spring/Summer edition and personally, I would say this is about as good as it gets for someone who loves to read. The excerpts from upcoming books are first-rate, not just a paragraph or two, but enough to let me decide whether or not to add another title to my ever expanding TBR list. Fiction, non-fiction, published authors as well as those just starting out, and I now have a calendar full of publication dates and books to enjoy. If only I had found you sooner, sigh, since I am sure that prior year Buzz Books were just as good.
Another spot on Buzz Books. I added several titles from this edition to my TBR list for reviews.
Another great collection - most of these books are out now, but after the fantastic Fall/Winter collection I came back to this one. Reading an excerpt from a book is a much better way for my reading style to decide if I want to read more; by design, the blurbs are made to draw you in, so aren't as reliable! Plus the quality in these collections is always stellar (not for my to-read list, but I can always dream).
After reading through publisher notes, sample chapters, and entire books (books that delayed me from writing this post because I couldn’t put them down!!), I am excited to present my summer reading list.

This eclectic list includes several thrillers, some environmental dystopia, a drama about love in Hollywood, new WWII fiction, long-lost stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald, and more. I have covered all my reading personalities and thus included something for everyone. I will update this post with links as I read these books and add my own reviews.

You can click on the titles or pictures for more information or to buy the book from Amazon. Happy summer reading!

Here’s what I’ll be reading this summer and why these particular books caught my attention (the publisher’s notes and testimonials are in block quotes):

The Force: A Novel

This – a cop novel/thriller – is an interesting pick for me but I read a sample chapter about a drug bust and got hooked. Reading about the grit of NYC intrigues me.  This person’s recommendation may be more powerful than my own:

“The Force is mesmerizing, a triumph. Think The Godfather, only with cops. It’s that good.”
    — Stephen King

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel

Click here to read my new post/review on this book. The story line includes old Hollywood glamour and drama from a famous actress that had seven husbands and other high-profile relationships.

“…a legendary film actress reflects on her relentless rise to the top and the risks she took, the loves she lost, and the long-held secrets the public could never imagine.”

Magpie Murders: A Novel

A friend asked me to read this to see what I thought. It is getting good reviews as homage to Agatha Christie novels. I have not read her novels so I am not sure I will get it but I’m going to try. The structure is apparently a novel inside a novel – and as I have posted about before, I love me some good intertexuality.

“Masterful, clever, and relentlessly suspenseful, Magpie Murders is a deviously dark take on vintage English crime fiction in which the reader becomes the detective.”

Mr. Rochester

This is a pick for my fellow Charlotte Bronte fans as this novel is from the perspective of Edward Fairfax Rochester, one of literature’s most romantic, most complex, and most mysterious heroes as the husband of Jane Eyre. I’m also planning to re-read Jane Eyre this summer.

“MR. ROCHESTER is a great, sweeping, classic coming-of-age story, and a stirring tale of adventure, romance, and deceit. Faithful in every particular to Brontë’s original yet full of unexpected twists and riveting behind-the-scenes drama, this novel will completely, deliciously, and forever change how we read and remember Jane Eyre.”

He Said/She Said: A Novel

This is another “thriller” – I am moving outside my comfort zone this summer!! I read some sample chapters became intrigued about who these people are hiding from and what does it have to do with the solar eclipse? This is a timely novel with another solar eclipse set for later this summer!

“A tour de force – a gripping, twisting, furiously clever read that asks all the right questions, and keeps you guessing until the very end. I loved it.” –Ruth Ware, bestselling author of The Woman in Cabin 10

American War: A novel

This is a dystopian read about a futuristic civil war in 2074. I am adding this to my list because of the devastation it predicts from not acting to reverse climate change and other bad decisions!

“An audacious and powerful debut novel: a second American Civil War, a devastating plague, and one family caught deep in the middle—a story that asks what might happen if America were to turn its most devastating policies and deadly weapons upon itself.”

The End We Start From

This is another book set among dystopian environmental devastation. Yes, I am trying to scare people!!

“As London is submerged below flood waters, a woman gives birth to her first child, Z. Days later, she and her baby are forced to leave their home in search of safety. They head north through a newly dangerous country seeking refuge from place to place. The story traces fear and wonder, as the baby grows, thriving and content against all the odds.”

In the Shadow of Alabama

This work of historical fiction will be an addition to my WWII reading list. It addresses our country’s racism during WWII.

“Judy Reene Singer’s newest novel is a masterful story of the American experience. Between the past and present, between love and war, between the burdens of race and hope, a woman returns home to discover her father and a history she had never known…”

If the Creek Don’t Rise: A Novel

This is set in Appalachia, a town filled with “moonshine and rotten husbands.” My recent reading of Hillbilly Elegy put this book on my list.

I’d Die For You: And Other Lost Stories

Readers of this blog know I am a big fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Great Gatsby, book and most recent movie. So when some “lost stories” emerge of course I need to read them!

“I’d Die For You is a collection of the last remaining unpublished and uncollected short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, edited by Anne Margaret Daniel. Fitzgerald did not design the stories in I’d Die For You as a collection. Most were submitted individually to major magazines during the 1930s and accepted for publication during Fitzgerald’s lifetime, but were never printed. Some were written as movie scenarios and sent to studios or producers, but not filmed.”

The Golden House: A Novel

I first read and loved Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children in a 20th Century British Literature class. (The syllabus for this class was one of my favorite, ever. I need to dig that up and write a post on that syllabus!) Anyway, we’ll see if this book may belong on a graduate English syllabus as well. I’m in the middle of it now and my verdict is still out.It s the story of a rich and mysterious man and his three sons who immigrate to New York and establish themselves in its society. Much pop culture and modern history is sewn in the story set in the early 2000s.

“A modern American epic set against the panorama of contemporary politics and culture—a hurtling, page-turning mystery that is equal parts The Great Gatsby and The Bonfire of the Vanities.“

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

This memoir about food, weight, and self-image seems so raw and honest.

“From the New York Times best-selling author of Bad Feminist, a searingly honest memoir of food, weight, self-image, and learning how to feed your hunger while taking care of yourself.”

What I Lost

Along the lines of the previous book about food and weight, this selection is Young Adult (YA) novel about anorexia, and admittedly not something that would typically be on my list. But I know the author and want to read it so I can recommend to my YA readers, librarians, and those who buy books for teenagers. It chronicles an important issue that I want to support.

Driving Miss Norma: One Family’s Journey Saying “Yes” to Living

This book looks fun and life affirming. It is based on a blog this 90-year-old woman wrote about tacking her bucket list while battling cancer.

Infused with this irrepressible nonagenarian’s wisdom, courage, and generous spirit, Driving Miss Norma is the charming, infectiously joyous chronicle of their experiences on the road. It portrays a transformative journey of living life on your own terms that shows us that it is never too late to begin an adventure, inspire hope, or become a trailblazer.

The Perfect Stranger: A Novel

This is a thriller I already read and wrote about this summer. I picked it up because it is by the author of All The Missing Girls, last summer’s sensation.

The Women in the Castle: A Novel

I already read this book earlier in the summer. It completed my WWII reading list (for the time being.)

Again, happy summer reading, and let me know which books are most intriguing to you or what you think once you read them! Follow me on the social media of your choice (links below) to see reviews as I post them.
I always look forward to the new Buzz Books.  Thank you NetGalley
Thank you again for another excellent preview!  These excerpts are so helpful!
Another fantastic sampler with such a wide variety of books!
I absolutely LOVE reading the Buzz Book collections when they come out. It really helps determine what books we want to read and purchase.