Cover Image: Seeds of Eden

Seeds of Eden

4/5 stars

Light and enjoyable read. Made for a fun evening! Plot was fun and I was able to keep pace.
So good! Well written with a one of a kind story filled with amazing characters. Highly recommend!
I found this book to be a light and enjoyable read. Some parts were a bit predictable, but overall I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.
Seeds of Eden by A P Watson is a horror and romance read.
Evey is having dreams of decapitated corpses,  pools of blood,  and a masked executioner. She cannot remember a time when she didn’t have them. She feels she is cursed and wonders what she has done to wrong to be given these horrific dreams. Conrad is new but Evey feels like she knows him. Is he the one in her dreams. She feels an undeniable attraction to him. When he confesses their fates and Souls gave been intertwined for centuries. Can they outrun a great darkness.
OMG. I loved this read. The story and the characters.  I loved how Evey and Conrad were together. Even when they met. I admit it's a little slow to start with then boom can't put it down.  I could see this as  a movie.  Little surprised  you the ending. 5*. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book from netgalley
This story is definitely interesting. There are lots of cool elements to it and it ties in various time points in history when defining Evey's life. This novel has presented itself as a horror-romance, and I have to say that it lives up to that. The romance between Evey and Conrad was very sweet and cute, very much the kind of thing a teenager dreams about. With that being said, I think this would suit a teen audience much better than an adult one, because everything is just a lot more simplistic. The conversations don't have that maturity to them that you would see in adult fiction. I know that Evey and Conrad are the main characters in this story but having some more depth in the other characters would have been nice. There were quite a few inconsistencies during the story where Evey and Conrad would be talking in the presence of other characters, but the author had completely forgotten about the other people present and just continued to move on with the story. If those are fixed before final print, that would make the story flow better. I also think that there needs to be more transitioning; there was a choppiness to it that could have been avoided. The ending was done well, with a nice cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next to Evey! Overall, an interesting premise with a few technical issues that need to be parsed out to make this into an enjoyable read!
Seeds of Eden was my first ARC (advanced reader copy) so I was quite excited to start my ARC-review journey with it. And yes, I have zero shame in admitting that I enjoy YA fiction even as an adult.

The premise blurb on the site about this book seemed quite promising. It even reminded me a tiny bit of The Wrath and the Dawn with all of its intrigue. (Review for that is coming soon). There was a strong female character and a not-quite-hero that grew to be more. Even their relationship had a slow culmination which was a nice change of pace. And that is where the similarities end.

**Some Spoilers Ahead**

Let’s talk about the good first: The Biblical characters twist was an interesting spin on religion and even reincarnation. I thought that the spin on Evey being who she was was quite interesting and a unique concept. I also liked that when presented the truth about her life, Evey wasn’t just ready to go fighting in a blaze of glory. Nope. She cried and was heartbroken over her loss. She questioned nearly everything  she was told and even found it hard to believe at times (which was completely understandable given her past.)

Another thing I enjoyed was the lack of insta-love. Sure, she thought Conrad was cute but it wasn’t in an “the earth stopped” kind of way. Her wondering why she had dreamed about him actually made sense.

However, with that being said, we now come to the bad:  Conrad’s semi-persistence in pursuing Evey was incredibly annoying. Yes, I get that he had loved her for a long time but what started off as non-insta-love unfortunately transformed into something quite similar to it. The “love” between Evey and Conrad lacked chemistry. Conrad’s initial attraction to Evey seemed more based on who she actually was and that “pull” she had on everyone that actually him being drawn to her as a person. Not just that, but the emotional tug-of-war that they pulled with poor Helen was so immature and high-school-like that I had to remind myself that I was, in fact, reading YA. (Not that YA books all have that love triangle plot mess.)

The general character that was Aden was a bit lackluster to me given that he was mostly spoken about in 80% of the novel and his very short appearance in the final portion of the book was downright confusing. He just flip-flopped too much for my taste. And yes, I get that Evey has this ~magical~ hold on people but why was that hold only in private for Aden?
How could a man that had loved Evey for so long want to destroy the only family she’s known? (Even his hatred towards Conrad was a bit understandable, given his level of betrayal, but not towards the rest of them that were protecting Evey.)

*End of Possible Spoilers*

Overall, I’d give this book a solid 2.5 out of 5 stars. The reason being that while the beginning and middle were strong, well written, and kept me interested, the ending fell so flat for me. It was too much wish fulfillment (Armani gowns? Honestly?) and too little plot progression to the point where I kind of wanted Aden to win. Everything about the ending was just so rushed. It was almost as if the author remembered that this book was about to end so everything went to hell in a handbasket for our protagonist. And fast.

Even though it ended on a cliffhanger (not a spoiler since the book establishes that it’s part of a series), I’m unfortunately not really interested in reading any more about these characters.

However, if you’re a younger reader or a general fan of more romance-y YA, this might just be your cup of tea.
NOTE: Seeds of Eden is book one in The Concilium Series. It ends on a cliffhanger where book two will continue.

I’ve been on a scavenger hunt to find something inventive and unique – a story line that dares to take a concept and explore it. That’s exactly what Seeds of Eden by A.P. Watson gives us as she mixes two starkly different genres: romance and horror.

Though the book had a rough start for me, around the 20% mark we start seeing the action, and I must say, this author can write the gory aspects to perfection! And again, how often do you see a book that’s horror and romance? The mixture just worked for me. The mystery casually reveals itself in raw and gritty fight scenes, and then the romance would come in with Evie and Conrad – sweet and poignant - and tie everything together.

The romance portion is relatively clean and super cute, a welcome transition from other books where the physical attraction becomes the primary focus. Instead, we see love in all its forms – obsessive, romantic, friendship. They’re all jam packed into this biblical re-imagining.

Now, there were some times when the conversation wasn’t believable. I also found Evey is too trusting or too quick to agree. At one point in the story, Conrad decides something that affects them both, and Evey says “ok.” No discussion follows. I grew up in a family with seven women. No decision, whether heated or not, ever ends with a simple, “ok.”

But the amount of pressure this girl is under…whew! I admire Evey and major snaps for keeping her cool and not flinching when trouble knocks at her door. So, if you’re like me and looking for something out of the box –something different –  I’d pick up Seeds of Eden.

It checks the box.
I don't usually go for this genre but must say I am now completely hooked. The story is well written and it is clear that it was  extensively researched. Every character is well defined and essential to the tale. The story spans centuries and continents and is rich in historical detail. It is not often that I notice chapter headings but those in this book were perfect. This was a thoroughly enjoyable read and I look forward to reading "A Fallen Son."
started slow but picked up very quick and could not put it down. Love it
I wanted to like this, I really did. Between the blandness and weakness of the main character, the narrative and tonal inconsistencies, and then small things that don't matter on their own but add up (so many exclamation marks, out of character behavior for teenagers {being uppity/excited/happy} first thing in the morning, even after night-long nightmares), and jumping timelines mid-line, with no indication.... It just could have been better. I feel like there's a lot of potential here but what I read felt like a draft.
I really enjoyed the actual story of this book, which I found to be very original.  Without giving too much away I guess it is a supernatural romance with a bit of historical fiction and maybe a smidgen of religion thrown in.  The clue (a big one) is in the title.

The story intrigued me but I did find the teen angst a bit much at times and the constant talk about clothing and hair styling got on my nerves.  Having said that I would read the next book in the series.