Cover Image: Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault (Rebirth)

Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault (Rebirth)

It was alright, just like the movie. There wasn't anything that stood out or made it a super good. I would have like to see more of a story line or just more of something. Not bad, not good just....
Suicide Squad is finished. But Amanda Waller has other ideas. Looks like you can’t keep a bad guy down.

It’s no secret Task Force X gleefully operates outside the realm of truth and justice. They simmer in moral ambiguity and controlled chaos to sidestep anything resembling honor to get the job done. Of course, things go boom and bodies hit the floor.

Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault is a spectacular opening shot to the DC Rebirth storyline. Heavy hitters like Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer Croc, Katana, Enchantress, and Deadshot get the band back together. “Criminal filth. Be proud. Your country needs you.” The mission seems higher-than-normal stakes for the team, especially one that’s been on the sideline for so long. I suppose that’s how they earn their illustrious title.

For a team that is more wrecking ball than precision, it was a trip to see Jim Lee and writer Rob Williams drop the squad into cosmic high stakes. At first pass it might seem proper to call this a job for Superman. That goes double when a bombshell foe is found in the Black Vault. Thankfully we see a fresh face join the squad, Hack- a young, African-American woman who can turn matter into digital information.

The squad barrels through their mission with the wonderful absurdity that one would expect from this iteration of Suicide Squad. The stakes are high but the chill is low.

Origin side-stories for Katana, Boomerang, and Deadshot rounded out the story and offered depth, a welcomed rebirth roadmap.

This graphic novel collects issues #1-4 and the SUICIDE SQUAD: REBIRTH one-shot.
There is just too much going on here. We rush into the whole concept of a Suicide Squad and throw them all in ridiculous situations. Yes, that is the point, but we don't cover any of the characters backstories until the end of this volume. We don't care if any of the Suicide Squad does end up dying because we don't know who they are other than Harley Quinn. Sure, they are the same cast that appears in the 2016 movie, but that movie doesn't give much backstory, other than Deadshot and Harley, either. They end up having to face against General Zod and a Russian version of the Suicide Squad. Like, let's just pick a super powerful alien and then throw in a bunch of Russian-controlled villains to fight. It didn't need both, one would have been enough of a threat, and nothing really compares to a Kryptonian anyway. A bunch of Suicidal humans would not be enough to defeat one. Add in the fact that the journey to and the setting itself were pretty deadly, nothing was particularly believable, just ridiculous.
The suicide squad is good at a really limited set of goals. Y'know, knocking over China's supersoldier program, mucking with low-power terrorists/agitators, pissing each other off and/pr pie-ing each other in the face, street level stuff with a layer of your dad's technothriller. In this installment they open up the most recent box General Zod got locked in. He's not happy about that, and not happy about being let out. The crew has to deal with with rampaging Kryptonian without prep or backup, also his jailers are shooting at everything. Harley manages to be pithy around all this chaos and the rest fo the crew manages to be laconic about it throughout. Katana and Dr Quinn have a future as a comedy team.

Verdict: Get it. Jim lee draws some good action, and the sheer fustercluck of this scenario is great for the Squad to tackle.
Thank you for allowing me to read and review this book. I am just not interested in this book anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Didn't finish it before my time ran out. Sorry I didn't get it finished for a review.
A solid trade that any fan of DC Comics can pick up and enjoy. Rebirth continues to be just that for DC and a breath of fresh air for the superhero genre.
In Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault, Rob Williams does well by the Suicide Squad, leavening the situations with comedy without lampooning the characters. Harley Quinn is a particularly difficult character to get right in this context, and I thought Williams did particularly well balancing Harley's prattling on about neoliberalism while slaughtering foot soldiers and then also running away at the first sign of real danger.
This book i DNF at pg 20 even though I love this series really sorry.
ARC from Netgalley.
	Pretty straightforward story here, much like the Suicide Squad movie, except with amazing Jim Lee art and not such a convoluted plot.
In DC Rebirth, the Suicide Squad consists of Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, Kitana, Rick Flag, and Enchantress. Waller sends them on their next mission, to retrieve "The Black Vault" from a Russian base. Due to heavy security, they must take a dive from space, plunge into Arctic deep water, escape into the base, and then retrieve it. When they reach it, however, they find that the "Black Vault" is a Negative Zone prison for General Zod. LET EPIC BATTLE BEGIN! With the help of new member Hack, Zod is put back and the Vault is retrieved.... but not without the loss of Captain Boomerang. (Pretty violent death, all things considered)
Good start to the series, but very interested to see where they go next. Recommend.
Didn't really enjoy this reboot. Not much depth to the characters, and really didn't grab me like the older stuff.
I love all of the rebirth books. It gives me a great starting point to get to know characters all within one canon world/universe. I love the suicide squad
This was fun but seemed short. I always enjoy the way these villains work together. Ended on a funny way.
Wasn't a fan. A bit disappointing. I am gonna read the next volume, just to clarify on this series.
Definitely well timed as a companion to the film starring Jared Leto and Margot Robbie. Having read this and seen the movie, I find it very difficult to remember what happened in which, as the makeup of the team is pretty much identical. I could take or leave Killer Croc -- he just seems dispensable at all times. Harley Quinn is clearly the star of this book, as she was of the film. The Joker is more fun to read than Jared Leto is to watch, though.
I liked this comic. But you should not go into it expecting the best.
I really liked the of Suicide Squad. Villains who save the day and I liked the movie somewhat. So I was excited to it. It didn't flop totally but was a little underwhelmed.
I was really annoyed by Amanda Waller from the start, so that already made it harder to read. I loved Harley! She was perfect. I also liked the fact that the president was Obama.
Also, it had beautiful artwork. Kudos to all the people who has worked on it.

I have posted a more in-depth review on my blog.
I will also be posting a little review in my wrap up, on my youtube page.
The Suicide Squad is set loose in the Arctic Ocean in an undersea Russian base controlled by a rouge faction. Except not is all as it seems. The rogue faction may not be so rogue and the alien device seems to be an entrance to the "Phantom Zone", or so it appears when General Zod works on ripping his way into the base. The Suicide Squad managed to survive Zod and the Russians plus nasty guys that interfered, but not without a loose. A question is whether Amanda Waller will survive as head of Task Force X much longer. Since this was a quick adventure, included also are several short individual team member adventures - Deadshot, Boomerang, Katana, and Harley Quinn.
First off....how many times can a thing be rebooted/rebirthed in a handful of years? Because I think I've read like at least 3 of SS alone.

That said, I enjoy these dumbasses, so I'll probably keep reading them as they keep rebooting instead of continuing stories.