Cover Image: It Happened on Love Street

It Happened on Love Street

“My sister’s uterus is a clown car.”

That has little to no bearing on my review, except it made me laugh so hard that I HAD to include it. Which brings me to one need-to-know fact about my experience with It Happened on Love Street: I highlighted the hell out of this book.

I couldn’t stop. Typically, choosing what quotes to include in my review is fairly easy. There’ll be several I like, but only a couple that speak to me or underscore what I want to say. Sometimes, though, it’s harder—either because the words don’t quite match, or, as is the case here, there are too many great lines to choose from.

When she looked at him, recognition sparked, like catching a glimpse of one’s reflection in a window.

Not only did this book have words that made me want to share (which shouldn’t be surprising, really, since I’ve long been a fan of Lia Riley and her way of writing just works for me), but it also made me happy.

So, so happy. It’s a charming, quirky, utterly delightful small-town romance, one which comes jam-packed with all the things that make small-town romances one of my favorite things ever. Nosy neighbors, kooky characters, silly situations, and whimsical, romantic street names and town histories. Plus, it had Cupid.

“A quintessential coastal Southern town up front, with the sexy, scury-dog pirates in the back. Put like that, I can see the appeal.”

Oh, my apologies. Rhett. Rhett Valentine, who melted my heart *and* my panties with his animal-loving nature and his chimpanzee-cage-inducing swoon factor. When paired with Pepper—erstwhile law clerk, now dog-phobic dogwalker—he shines. They shine.

Their banter is light-hearted. Their feelings are deep. Their romance is somewhat predictable but wholly enjoyable, and as the foundation for Ms. Riley’s new series, it is absolutely on-point.

Yep, I’m incredibly excited about the future of Everland, Georgia—because I’m already hoping to highlight the hell out of a book about Beau and Tuesday...

“I didn’t know I’d been waiting. I didn’t know I’d been wanting. Convinced myself what I had was enough. But you, this, I’ll never get enough.”

~ 4.5 Cupid STARS ~
It Happened on Love Street by Lia Riley was amazing!!!

Pepper and Rhett were phenomenally written!! They had such an intense depth to both their individual characteristics, as well as their relationship status together!

After the past that Rhett has had, it is understandable for him to be closed off and almost afraid of jumping back into things, especially a relationship ever again. When Pepper shows up, and begins to challenge him and the ways that he has been stuck in, things begin to change. They are both out of their element and comfort zone, and yet, manage to adjust to a new way of life, all the while being true to who they really, truly are!

I cannot say enough good things about this novel written by Lia Riley!! I am definitely going to be picking up the next book in this series!

5/5 Stars!
I very much enjoyed this book.  It is one that is a quick and easy read.

I liked the story and the characters. Some parts were funny and it was all entertaining but ofcourse just like most romance novels it was predictable but it was a nice read none the less.
I give this 4 out of 5 stars.
3 - "Hypothetically..." Stars.

Lia Riley takes her readers to the town of Everland, Georgia, for the first book in her new series of the same name; It Happened on Love Street.

Everland, Georgia wasn’t your everyday sort of place…

I am a huge fan of the small town romance genre, in series form this is one of my greatest joys to read because when written well you are introduced to and get to know and love a plethora of recurring characters as the stories develop while giving you individual characters their own happily ever after with each additional book. And on that front Lia nailed it, as with my review tag hypothetically this was a great story.

"In theory you’re a good kisser…"

"Let me experiment a bit more… The initial results are promising."

I liked Pepper even though she was a bit back and forth, as well as being a total martyr to her family, and I loved local vet and romantic interest Rhett Valentine, the parts when they were together were sizzling with chemistry and witty conversation. But for me and the reason for the mid-range rating was the fact that, their story at points get lost with long rambling inner monologues about unrelated things, It felt a little like the author had remembered a funny story and was desperate to add it to the story, and sometimes going off at a tangent to tell the tale worked, but at other points it just pulled me out of the book, and I lost focus on where the characters were actually at in the story itself.

"I do miss… feeling."

My other issues, and this isn’t new, it’s something that always bugs me is the whole familial issues that Pepper then deals with in the second half of the book. I am, and always have had a huge loathing for erroneous or over the top secondary familial drama especially when the family members in question, are portrayed in such a way that means they seem less than worthy of having so much time end energy spent on them by the hero or heroine of the tale. This was so the case on this occasion and it took a little sparkle away from the parts of the story I enjoyed.

"You’re not a fan of dogs are you?"

Still, the writing is excellent, the pacing (if you take out the unnecessary rambling) was pretty good, I liked the town and people of Everland, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series; The Corner of Forever and Always, when it releases in September.

ARC generously provided by the author via Netgalley, in exchange for the above honest review.
It Happened on Love Street is a really good book and I would have given it 5 stars, if it wouldn't have had such a slow pace. I received an ARC via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.

When we first meet Pepper, she has just moved to a small town for a clerkship that she worked extremely hard to obtain. She puts a lot on her shoulders, especially where her family is concerned, that she never puts herself first. Unfortunately, things don't go as planned and she finds herself between a rock and a hard place.

Rhett is the town veterinarian who has a huge fight going on with his dad (when you find out all of the details, your heart will break), who also carries a lot of guilt. He is attracted to Pepper, but has not had a relationship for six months, due to his fiancee leaving him at the altar. Suddenly, he's is feeling and wanting things he hasn't in a long time. He offers Pepper a job and they are also neighbors.

When Rhett and Pepper decide to have a friend's with benefits type relationship and keep it secret, sparks fly. They both know they were on borrowed time because she plans on leaving town as soon as possible. They also believe that they will not involve feelings due to the fact that they `know` they can't have a relationship.

When a family emergency occurs and Pepper has to go home, an argument ensues and things are said that shouldn't have been. Will Pepper realize that everything Rhett and her sister said was true and come back to Rhett?  Will Rhett admit how he feels and ask her to come back?  Will Pepper admit how she feels it will she run for good?

Pick up It Happened on Love Street and fall in love with the town of Everland, Georgia; as well as, Rhett.
I chose it because of the cover..what?! It's cute :D I make too many NG decisions based on cuteness when it comes to contemporary romance.

Pepper comes to a small town as a step in becoming a lawyer, but something goes wrong and she must stay in this small town. It's a cute town, a friendly gossiping town. Oh and the neighbour is a hottie. As for Pepper herself, she felt this need to take care of everyone, she was afraid to look like a failure and she is driven. She needs to chill.

Rhett the vet. Awww, I like a man who loves animals. He is hounded by the grannies of town to find a girlfriend ;) Haha, poor guy. He is a sweet guy.

They meet, they become friendly, they fall in lust. There is some drama in town. There are dogs. Treasure hunts and a good romance. Her sister shows up too and will find love in the next book, that will be interesting.

Conclusion:
A nice romance
All of her life Pepper was the responsible one, the one who would do anything for her family, the one who carried too much weight on her shoulders, self-imposed or not. Now life has sent her to quaint Everland, GA, uprooting her Big City self for her first big job, a done deal until it was undone when she is “fired” on her first day. Although things don’t quite work out as planned for Pepper, one sure can’t say her eyes weren’t opened to life, fate and learning to live for the moment as the local Vet finds her a job as a dog walker until she can re-group and go on her merry way. Did I mention she is NOT a dog person? Trust me, her actions and dialogue will speak volumes on that topic!

When she finds herself attracted to said Veterinarian, Rhett Valentine, these two begin a no strings attached affair that has them both tied in knots! Spicy as her name implies, Pepper finally takes time to live in the moment, completely unaware that love was just another moment away!

Get those smiles, smirks and those , “You have GOT to be kidding me!” chuckles ready, because Lia Riley has one of the cutest and quirkiest love stories eve with IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET a sweet and sometimes hysterical romance that will brighten even the darkest of days! Prepare to be amused at Pepper’s inner dialogue and her stream of “Murphy’s law” events that will leave you smiling, if not laughing out loud!

Quirky small town residents manage to know every misstep or Pepper takes and her embarrassment can only be more delightful humor for us!

Looking for a fun and light read that brings new meaning to “Live, Love, Laugh?” Look no more, this is a fun and slightly silly read that will leave you with a smile and a sigh, because even Cupid can use humor to point the way to happiness and what really matters in life.

I received an ARC edition from Forever in exchange for my honest and voluntary review.

Series: Everland, Georgia - Book 1
Publisher: Forever (April 25, 2017)
Publication Date: April 25, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Romance | Women's Fiction
Print Length: 368 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Unfortunately this book just did not work for me... Both characters had tones ... either bitter or woo is me... and then there were plot points which i felt were unnecessary. I am sorry it didn't work.
Small town romances are truly one of my most favorite types of romances, but I don’t often get to read many since I have trouble finding them. So when I heard about Lia Riley’s upcoming release from Nick over at Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist, I decided to give this new-to-me author a shot, hoping that this sweet, southern romance would give me the “small town romance” fix I was looking for.

With a degree in one hand and career plan in the other, Pepper Knight leaves the big city behind for a job in the charming town of Everland, Georgia. But when things don’t go according to plan, Pepper refuses to throw in the towel just yet. In comes Rhett Valentine, Everland’s local veterinarian, who helps Pepper get a temporary job until she figures out her next move. Falling in love was never part of her plan, but when sparks fly between her the southern charmer, Pepper will have to decide where her heart lies, and if that place is Everland, whether or not she’s willing to stay.

It Happened on Love Street is a sweet and hilarious small town romance that reminded me why I fell in love with these types of romances in the first place. Despite having lived majority of my life in the Big Apple, I’m a sucker for small town living which is why I absolutely adored the quirky town of Everland. It’s very much your typical small town where everyone knows who is who and no one is safe from the rumor mill. What makes this romance even better are the secondary characters. I FREAKIN’ LOVED THE SECONDARY CHARACTERS! Seriously, they are a riot and I was very much entertained by them. I especially loved Tuesday, Pepper’s younger sister. She’s a free-spirit with no filter and I think she fits right in with the people of Everland. I’m low key hoping she decides to stay because I am already invested in her possible romance with a fellow Everland local I need to see how things develop between the two.

While I loved the small town setting and the charismatic secondary characters, I did not care too much for our main characters. As individuals, I liked Pepper and Rhett, but I was not completely sold on their romance. Pepper is career-driven young woman who cares deeply for her family and puts their needs before her own desires. She is selfless, but that same selflessness eventually backfires on her when she realizes that she has spent majority of her life regretting the certain life choices. Rhett on the other hand is guy who has faced quite a bit of heartbreak and it’s made him guarded. He’s also not one for gossip so he tries to maintain a life free of scandal. What connects these two and what makes them so similar is that while they are both driven, but they weren’t experiencing life to its fullest until they both decide to throw caution to the wind and have a little fun. I really wished though that there were more scenes with just these two alone. I wanted more conversations where these two learned everything about each other. I wanted a deeper connection and I felt like everything was just so instant and easy and this was one of the main reasons why I didn’t buy the romance.

Although I wasn’t head-over-heels in love with the romance It Happened on Love Street, I still adored the small town and the cast of secondary characters. I’m so excited for the sequel because I need to know more about Tuesday and what her plans are and I’m pretty sure she’s about to stir up quiet a bit of trouble in the small town of Everland.
This is a fun & quirky read with meddling town folks and interesting main characters whose life's haven't turned out like they thought.  I can't wait to read more by this author & series.
2.5-3 stars

I wasn't too crazy about this small town romance! While certain parts were lighthearted and funny, other times it was just too sugary sweet and cloying. There wasn't enough tension to keep me truly invested, and I ended up skimming when I felt like the book was dragging. Normally Lia Riley is a win for me, so I'll definitely give the next book in this series a go (I can already tell I'll like the spark between the next couple more, anyway).
Will post at http://romrevtoday.com/ in May.

IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET – Lia Riley
An Everland, Georgia, Novel
Grand Central's Forever
ISBN: 978-1-4555-6869-7
May 2017
Contemporary Romance

Everland, Georgia – Present Day

Pepper Knight moved to Everland from New York City to take a court clerking job, but when she arrives, she learns that the offer has been given to someone because of nepotism. Now stuck in a small town with no job or friends, she is not sure what to do, especially since she used all her money to move. Then she runs into her next-door neighbor, Rhett Valentine, who is the town veterinarian. Rhett is soon helping Pepper get a job as a dog walker. Anything will do for the cash poor Pepper, but for someone who has a fear of dogs, is she flirting with disaster?

Rhett is used to being the object of the town’s attention despite his trying to stay out of the limelight. His claim to “fame” is being jilted at the altar years ago and, since then, he’s avoided a committed relationship like it’s the plague. But Pepper intrigues him, and he goes out of his way to help her whenever he can. Pepper and Rhett become good friends and are soon locking lips, plus much more. They’re hoping to keep their fling a secret, but with an elderly neighbor popping up in unexpected places to spy on them, it’s hard to do. While a short affair seems perfect for commitment phobia Rhett, how will he react if Pepper moves away?

Pepper grew up in a small town in Maine, but escaped to New York City, where she obtained a law degree and a low paying job. She jumped at a chance to work in a small town in Georgia without even visiting it. Alas, the job offer was withdrawn, and she’s suddenly penniless and stuck in Everland. Pepper also is deathly afraid of dogs, and it appears just about everyone here has at least one dog. She meets Rhett, and he’s very neighborly towards her, even helping to get her a job walking dogs. While her “charge” is small, the job requires that she visit a dog park where there are huge dogs. Pepper grows out of her fear of dogs and gets even closer to Dr. Hottie.

Rhett feels as if his life has been about unexpected losses, as he lost his mother to an allergic reaction to a bee sting, and his fiancée didn’t tell him that she outgrew him until the day they were supposed to marry. As such, it has left Rhett having a hard time with female relationships, but once he meets Pepper, he wants more than a one-night fling. While Rhett is a vet in IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET, readers don’t see too much of him in the clinic, as most of his interaction revolves around Pepper and his friend, Beau, as well as with the other townsfolks in Everland.

Just as things heat up for Rhett and Pepper in IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET, her sister, Tuesday, shows up and is immediately an interloper in her sister’s hot affair with the vet. It also doesn’t take long for Tuesday to lock horns with Beau, and I suspect their tale is the next one in the Everland, Georgia series.

One thing that did puzzle me in this story is Pepper’s aversion to dogs. Yes, it’s explained, but her “cure” is almost immediate. For someone who has feared dogs since she was a child, she suddenly grows attached to them, and even gets one of her own. I felt that this left a bit of a disconnection in the tale.

IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET is a cute, funny tale that wraps up fairly quickly after Rhett and Pepper not only realize they love one another, but can’t live without the other. If you like cute stories with dogs and a happily-ever-after, then grab a copy of IT HAPPENED ON LOVE STREET.

Patti Fischer
This is a cute, funny, and sometimes silly story that kept me completely entertained.  Pepper and Rhett are such a cute couple and all the crazy townspeople and their antics had me laughing out loud.  Pepper, originally from NY, comes to Everland for a job.  Unfortunately she gets fired her first day on the job.  Rhett, the local vet and Pepper's neighbor, helps find her a job as a fill in dog walker.  The fact that Pepper is afraid of dogs shouldn't be a problem....right??  That's just the start of the hilarity in this story.  Don't miss this one, I recommend it.
It Happened On Love Street is book one of the “Everland” series. It is a standalone that does not end on a cliffhanger. It has both cursing and explicit sex scenes, so if those aren't your thing, you might want to skip this one.

This book is the first book I have ever read by this author, but was such a fun read that it will not be the last. This book was chuckle-worthy throughout but it also had parts that made me literally laugh out loud without my consent. It was that funny.

Pepper and Rhett were two incredibly likable characters. There was no power play in their relationship, and no bullying behavior under the guise of being an “alpha” which I appreciated. Rhett is a nice small town guy who had shut himself off from the world after being left at the altar, and Pepper is a big city girl who wound up in little tiny Everland under interesting circumstances. Their slow courtship was pretty adorable, and I loved watching them work their way through the issues and their insecurities. I identified very closely with Pepper and my heart broke for her as she found herself torn between decisions although I have to admit that the tea leaf reading was cheesy and made me roll my eyes. I loved Rhett's backstory and was surprised when the “Birdie” twist came to pass. It wasn't a huge deal, but I did not see that coming.

The only thing I didn't care for in this book was the convoluted “Al Hogg” (who is just Boss Hogg from the Duke's of Hazzard tv show, let's be real) story line. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense or add a lot to this story.

If you like a book that is both subtly and outright funny, the kind of small town meddling that we all love to read about (but don't want to be subjected to), and a sweet love story between two really likable characters you should definitely read this book. I very much look forward to the next book in this series.

I requested and was generously granted an ARC of this book via NetGalley. I was under no obligation to write this review, I did so because I very much enjoyed the book.
I am a sucker for anything set in the south, so I was pretty excited to read this one.

I liked Pepper and Rhett. She's a bit of a martyr and he's a bit bitter, but together they're adorable. They're both genuinely good people and I enjoyed getting both sides of the story.

Plot wise, it's exactly what you would expect: prying neighbors, sassy older sisters, and a lot of dogs. The conflict {aka: the break up} and the resolution didn't take too long. There was an entire thread of plot that seemed to be added on a whim. For me, it didn't mesh with the rest of the story and I found those chapters to be jarring. I would be pulled out of the story with every one.

Overall, it was a quick, cute read that was mostly fluffy. I'll definitely be reading the next in the series.

**Huge thanks to Forever and NetGalley for providing the arc free of charge**
It Happened on Love Street is a fun, hilarious southern romance.

Rhett and Pepper come from very different worlds. Rhett Valentine the most eligible bachelor in Everland. Whom is also the town Veterinarian. Likes to keep to himself, and out of the town gossip. That runs rampant all over. Pepper is new in town and finds herself at a loss.

This story was full of heart and at the same time totally hilarious. I’m not usually into Third POV but it had so much charm. I almost forgot that I was reading in that POV. Lia Riley is an excellent storyteller. I highly enjoyed this book and it will be interesting to read about what else goes on in Everland.

Overall, I give this Four Boundless Stars.
If you are looking for a cutesy book and love dogs, then this book is for you.

Pepper Knight moves to small-town Georgia, moves next door to the hot town Vet named Rhett. Problem is she is NOT a dog person, meanwhile he is. Her life is imploding and his is not so great either.

This book reminded me of a  Hallmark movie. Cute and simple.
I'm a huge fan of Lia Riley and when she announced a new series, I may or may not have done a happy dance. There's something about her writing and her characters that I adore, and I knew I was in for a treat from the very first page of It Happened on Love Street. It's very much a signature Lia Riley book, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Lia Riley's characters are always charming and endearing, and nothing is different here. Pepper has just moved to a small town in Georgia only to discover that her position has been muddled with, so somehow she finds herself walking dogs. The only problem is that she's afraid of dogs (I may have gasped a little when she first mentioned it!). I liked Pepper a lot. She's a sweetheart and so completely loyal to her baby sister. Her confusion about what to do with her life rang very true to me. She really finds herself in It Happened on Love Street and though it takes her some time, she finally learns how to put herself first from time to time. Her love interest, Rhett, completely swept me off my feet. He's a vet (can you say swoony??), a gentleman and truly a very appealing hero. He also happens to wear glasses, which oof, I find unbearably attractive.

The romance between the two was another aspect I liked a lot about It Happened on Love Street. The two of them shared a potent chemistry, and I loved watching the two slowly get together and connect on an emotional level. Their romance was the perfect combination of sweet, cuddly and sexy, which Lia Riley sure knows how to do well. I do admit that I would have liked to see more scenes of Rhett and Pepper together. There were times I felt like they were secondary to the rest of the plot, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment all that much because the two of them were so good together. Besides the romance, I also liked the small-town setting. There are plenty of nosy neighbors, drama and hilarity that ensued in Everland. Not to forget, I also loved how many puppies were featured here. Honestly, any time a book has dogs in them, I'm easily a goner.

It Happened on Love Street was a delightful romance that had me smiling and laughing all throughout. I'm excited that Lia Riley is back with a new series. If you haven't read her books yet, I highly recommend them, especially if you're a fan of contemporary romance.
As a dog lover I was unsure of how I was going to take to a story about a woman with a healthy fear of dogs. I mean, our heroine, Pepper, put it best:

"No, dog people find it impossible to tolerate canine aversion."

However, when the carrier of said aversion is as delightful as our Pepper? There's lots of room for forgiveness.

It also helps that our hero, Rhett Valentine (*sigh* has there ever been a more dreamy name for a hero?) is a dog lover and his three wiley and gregarious golden retrievers completely stole my heart. Talk about a bunch of scene stealers. Whatever reservations I had going into this book flew right out the window from the first moment Pepper (disastrously) met this merry band of overly-friendly adorableness.

And - adorableness abounds in this fun, quirky, light-hearted tale of life and love in a small town that felt like a cross between Stars Hollow and Bluebell (*looks around for my fellow CW fans*). It Happened on Love Street is everything there is to love about small town romance, including a cast full of wonderfully colorful secondary characters, some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, and a romance that set my heart racing and unleashed the butterflies in my tummy. I loved Rhett and Pepper together and while their story may have been a little predictable, there were still tiny twists I didn't see coming and it left my heart full and happy all the same.

The sappy romantic and the dog lover in me could not be happier with how this book played out. It's a little zany, a bit emotional, but mostly a complete delight to read!