Ellenvale Gold

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Penelope is a girl who has always had a place to go when she finds herself alone and in uncharted territory. Her father had previously purchased property in order to start his dream farm. As the story develops Penelope finds yourself alone and in need of a protector. One of her neighbors is a scheming entrepreneur with Hidden agendas. When Penelope finds herself with very few options a passerby named Gus offers to be a farmhand until he is able to make enough money to purchase a ticket back home. Penelope is naïve to many of the worlds crew list things. There is someone on her property who has realized that she sits on a gold mine and is attempting to steal it from under her. At the same time, Penelope learns that Gus is a former convict. She has a difficult time getting over this fact. Gus on the other hand, has completely redeemed himself in the eyes of many others as well as God. In order for Penelope to find penis in love she needs to overcome her prejudiced and trust again. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good lighthearted read.
I could vividly see the Australian landscape as I turned each page. The author definitely has a fantastic gift for Imagery. She made Penelope and Gus's relationship blossom and grow not only with each other, but also with The Lord. That's my favorite aspect about this book, one of the last scenes was so potent. It not only showed their love for each other but also God's love for us as his children. Beautifully written.
I didn't like Penny for most of the book. Gus had a real issue with not talking to Penny about things, and that sort of character annoys me. So much could be resolved just by opening his mouth! It made it hard for me to get lost in the story.
I enjoyed reading this book set in Australia.  There were moments when I couldn't help but hear the theme song from the movie,  "The Man From Snowy River" playing in my head. But this story goes much deeper. The author's descriptions of the setting was fantastic and really helped me feel like I was there.  The characters are well written, complex and realistic.  The story was engaging and fun to read.  There were fun moments of laughter and tense moments when I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what would happen next.

Penelope (Penny) is a strong-willed, independent woman who's not afraid to get her hands dirty (or blistered).  On the flip side she has a strong ideal of social class, and holds herself to those standards. Orphaned and alone she struggles with knowing who to trust.

Angus (Gus) has a strong faith and it is the bedrock on which he depends. He has made some poor choices in his past, but he is doing his best to prove that his past doesn't define who he is now.

Rupert was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth. He's brash, and his moods seem to change with the wind. As Penelope's closest neighbor he has made it known that he would marry her and solve her problems with her sheep station.

I enjoyed the threads of faith and the overreaching trust in God woven into this story. The characters face hardships and challenges, and you can see their faith stretching and growing.
Ellenvale Gold is set in Australia on a sheep station in the mid 1800's. Penny Worthington's parents have died and she has only her elderly housekeeper to help her run her father's sheep station. She loves her homestead but realizes she needs help. She comes across a stranger who is on her land and she gives him a job. The stranger, Angus, has a joy about him that draws Penny's curiosity. She realizes it is his relationship with the Lord that is the source of his joy. As the two begin to get to know one another, Penny begins to realize she is not the person she should be. Through the Bible, she learns she has been prideful and looking down on people. She begins to accept Angus as her equal and they become friends.

When a flood comes to her land, she and Angus are forced to seek refuge at the home of her wealthy neighbors. The neighbors have hidden motives to try and steal her land through deceptive measures. Angus prays Penny will be able to see their deception for what it is. When Angus uncovers the plot of her neighbors, Penny is forced to decide if she truly trust Angus or will she judge him and treat him the same way her neighbors have.

Ellenvale Gold teaches us that people are so much more than they appear. Once Penny lets go of her preconceived ideas about the people around them, she is able to have healthy relationships with them. I love the relationship between Penny and Angus and how it developed. The book leaves you on a cliffhanger so I am excited for the next book.
This book is set in the gold rush of Australia in the 1850s and the heroine Penny Worthington is a well-born lady living on a near deserted shearing station. It starts as Penny's faithful servant dies and she is feeling desperate and scared about her situation and trying to eke a living on her land. She accidentally shoots a drifter, mistaking him for a prowler. He is Angus McDoughan, a Scottish ex-convict who she grudgingly nurses back to health and he agrees to work for her. They are gradually drawn to each other but Penny has been brought up with haughty ideals and struggles to see him as an equal. They become friends and an intrigued Penny starts to become interested in Gus's faith in God and he teaches her about God whilst she teaches him to read. However there is also a jealous rancher who wants Penny and with a flood and some skulduggery and intrigue, this is a good read suitable for 12 years upwards. The Christian message is woven into the story and Penny's personal change when she finds faith is realistic.
The ending suggests that a sequel or series is upcoming and I would definitely read the next one or any other books by this author.
I really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed the characters and their relationships and struggles. I appreciated the Christian message, one of the most seemless in introducing it. I did have a hard time with how she just turned on Angus. It seemed out of character for Penny as well as the time she came stumbling in to the Foxworths. She was always strong and thoughtful previously. I also wanted to see Pete come in to either help Angus with the gold or help Penny when she considered throughing herself into the river.
This charming historical novel is set in historical Australia, this book has delightful characters with just enough romance and intrigue to keep the pages turning. I loved checking out this new (to me anyways) author and will be on the hunt for other books by her! Absolutely delightful!
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley!

This book was the first one I have read based in Australia during their own gold rush. I also wasn't sure that I was going to like the female protagonist. She started out thinking she was better than the others around her, although I guess that was the way of it when people had servants. Through the story, with the help of the male protagonist and Christ, she took on a new view of herself, her situation, and her life. I found the story to be very believable, with compelling characters. A few weeks ago, I might have thought that Angus was too forgiving to be real, but recent experiences show that to be true as well -- interesting timing on that. There were twists and turns that kept the story moving. I often found myself thinking about the characters and wanting to go "visit" with them -- hence, I breezed through this story very quickly. Highly recommended reading about a different locale.
A really interesting story addressing class distinctions in colonial Australia. Loved the sheep station setting.
I truly tried very hard to enjoy this book. The book cover, the premise from the back cover had me hooked, but for some reason the story itself I found hard to love. I think it may have been the main character. She was unlikeable in my eyes, and I truly tried hard to like it!
A very enjoyable read.  Penelope is left penniless, and an orphan to run a sheep farm.  When Gus comes to the farm, she doesn't trust him.  Gus is an ex-convict....what does he really want from Penelope?  Can he be trusted?
Ellenvale Gold is exciting at it's nexus.  It has many adventures along the journey of Penelope's life, and what a life at that.  She is made an orphan and left to take care of the property when her father passes, and this was a little daunting, there were a lot of snakes, like her neighbors,out there and there is a man who she is starting to like but she is relying on new her found faith in CHRIST and how could you lose when you have HIM on your side - AMEN?  The author does a fantastic job bringing out the struggles of what a new Christian faces and how they overcome them - kudos.  This is a magnificent book, and you really should take the time to read this one.
Story based in Australia at the time of the gold rush and when people could be transported there as criminals just for stealing a loaf of bread.
Penny a young woman recently orphaned due to her father's sudden death finds herself in the vulnerable position of being alone to run her father's financially strapped sheep station.
Gus is a  convict recently released because of his good behaviour who she employs out of desperation. Concerned that she has done the right thing a mutual relationship builds up between them which converts Penny to Christianity and eventually love. However the course of true love never runs smooth and a neighbour called Foxworth converts her land and will go to any lengths to get it and will use any deception to achieve his goal.
A book about trust and human kindness and the inevitable human greed. A book well worth the read.
Ellenvale Gold

by Amanda Deed

Rhiza Press
Christian

Pub Date 01 Feb 2017

I am voluntarily reviewing a copy of Ellenvale Gold through the publisher and Netgalley:

This book transports us back to 1854 Australia, where we meet Penny who for the past fourteen years has been dealing with the harshness of the land, when Penny falls sick, Gus is there to help her.

When Penny grows stronger she busies herself teaching Angus to learn to read.

Rupert seems to fancy Penny but Penny has no interest in him.  A hint he can't seem to take.

If you are looking for history, and romance then Ellenvale Gold would be a great choice.

I give Elenvale Gold five out of five stars.

Happy Reading.