The Breakdown

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Feb 2018

Although not as grand as her first book, The Breakdown does have it's good moments and is written very well. Paris hit gold with her debut novel and with this one, she tries to muster the conviction of the first, but it just doesn't hold itself like her first novel does. The premise is centered around a woman who begins noticing and forgetting things happening to and around her since she saw a woman die on an abandoned road (that she wasn't supposed to go down anyway). Although a pretty interesting plot, I couldn't get into the book and was expecting more from Paris.
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

Oh my goodness, I thought the first novel B.A. Paris was spectacular and I was a little worried that, can she do this again.....ummmm ABSOLUTELY!!!

This novel focuses on our main character Cass who feels like she made a mistake on a stormy evening without being a polite human being and now she feels a killer is after her. Cass is relying on the love of her long time best friend/almost sister as they grew up together and her wonderful husband of just one year. Cass slowly feels like she is forgetting and losing her mind over all these strange things occurring.

This author keeps the tension rolling and she has such a unique ability to make the reader think 'I have got this figured out' to the point that the main character in the novel is coming to the SAME conclusions the reader is having and then...............mic drop, reader and character are wrong and BAM, here's the truth! I love mystery, thriller, psychological books and a lot of times I figure them out or at least some of it. For this novel, that was a big NOPE! I was completely surprised and DID NOT want to put this novel down from the beginning! Amazing and this is an author I am absolutely sticking with since she has proven she is NOT just a one hit wonder.
I have been a fan of B.A. Paris from the outset, with her debut novel Behind Closed Doors. If you enjoy psychological thrillers that really turn your head upside down, I highly recommend this author. I'm only sorry that it's taking me so long to read her subsequent works, and that this one sat on my shelf long enough to constitute a blogger shame book. So I apologize to both the author and the publisher here for getting so far behind!

What we have here with The Breakdown is a woman's spiral into madness and seeming-dementia. After she sees a woman broken down during a storm and fails to stop and render aid, then later finds out the same woman, an acquaintance of hers, was murdered, Cass starts a downward spiral into paranoia, guilt, fear, forgetfulness and confusion. It was sad to watch the downard descent of this once-vibrant woman, and the author takes you along the maddening ride right along with our protagonist.

But we are never quite sure if all of the madness is happening in Cass' head, or if she really is being stalked by a murderer. While I had an inkling of the "true" storyline, it didn't detract from the events that were happening on the page. Once I started reading, I was riveted and couldn't put the book down. And when all was revealed, I felt the same sense of treachery and my mind was blown just the same as if I had been Cass, barely a step away from being committed. I loved it... so that probably means that something is seriously wrong with me. LOL

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.
So I read this book almost a month ago at this point and I’m just now *finally* writing a review for it so apologies in advance for some of the vagueness because I don’t recall everything perfectly.

That being said, I do remember absolutely enjoying this book. I read this on my 3 hour flight and pretty much finished it in that one sitting. It was so fast-paced and I couldn’t put it down. I was honestly surprised by how immersed I was with the book and I would have finished it in one sitting if it wasn’t for the fact that my plane was descending and I was getting a mild headache from the turbulence.

The best part of this book was definitely the plot and the slow demise of Cass’ mental state as she was slowly becoming psychologically attacked from this mysterious person that she swears was watching her. And the ending was definitely a surprise for me. Part of me guessed it at least for some of it but for the most part, I was completely blown away by what was truly going on and who was behind everything.

After reading this book, I absolutely want to pick up another B.A Paris’ book. It was everything I was looking for in a thriller/mystery novel.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
B.A. Paris does a fine job of creating suspense in this novel.  And it certainly leaves the reader wondering who, exactly, can be trusted!
I won't be writing a review of this book.  While the premise is good, as well as the hype, I thought the book was drawn out and predictable.
I loved this book.  B.A.Paris has continued her success with another psychological thriller. Cass Anderson feels guilty, she was coming home from a party using a way that her husband did not want her to go.  During a horrible storm she sees a woman pulled over on the side of the road.  Because of the weather, Cass does not stop.  She later finds out that the woman was murdered and that she knew her.  Cass can’t go to the police because then her husband will know which way she came home.  Meanwhile, Cass is becoming paranoid that the killer is now stalking her.  She is also becoming more forgetful.  What is happening and are they connected?

I recommend this and Paris’ other books to anyone that wants a fast-paced thriller that you don’t want to put down.
I received this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This was a good one. Fast paced, keeps you guessing.
I figured out the mystery in this book pretty early on, but the main character and the pacing kept me reading until the end.
Good, but not a great mystery. With a lack of characters, it's not particularly hard to guess who is responsible for the murder. Nothing really happens for a long time in the novel and there is a lot of telling instead of showing. There was also a lack of connection for me with the narrator. Despite my dislikes, the last third of the novel does get more interesting and kept me reading. Recommended for those looking for a rainy day mystery read.

Review posted on Amazon and Goodreads.
For me, this one was okay. I figured out the mystery very early in the book, so it didn't have a lot of tension. I loved Behind Closed Doors and I guess I can't help but compare the two books and find the one lacking. B.A. Paris is a great suspense writer, so I will gladly read her next effort.
I enjoyed this book with all its twists and turns.  It is different from Behind Closed Doors (which I loved), but still a quite a page turner!
i enjoyed this book, however several times throughout I wanted to shake Cass and I became quite unsympathetic towards her. I wanted to see her fight from the start. This  is my first book by the author and I am definitely keen to read more. I was disappointd with the lack of plot twists towards the end. I would read more from this author, there were moments I could not put it down,. so a good read.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading « The Breakdown ». It’s a fast-paced, psychological thriller that you just won’t be able to put down. Looking forward to B.A Paris’s next book as I loved « Behind Closed Doors » too !
One of my favourite thrillers I've ever read! It was so suspenseful, mysterious and mind blowing. B.A. Paris kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book and it managed me to creep me out immensely. I loved it and highly recommend it.
Fast-paced story chock full of drama and suspense that kept me reading til the wee hours of the night. Loved, loved, loved!!
Cass is happily married and living the ideal life. One night, as she is returning from a party, she encounters a woman on an deserted road. The storm is in full swing, but Cass can't decide if she should check up on the stranger. She hurries home to her sleeping husband who had strictly warned her against using that particular route back home.
What follows is the news of the death of the woman she saw on that road. What also follows is a constant fear of being stalked... Perhaps by the murderer of that woman. Could Cass be next? .
The book is a gripping tale of Cass and her constant fear or being stalked by someone. It also talks extensively about her deteriorating mental state. It was a brilliant read for me. Right from the very start, the book was engaging. It wasted no time in getting to the point! I felt the restlessness and the agitation that Cass felt. I felt one with her in her agony. Somewhere along the story, I had an inkling of where it was headed- but that in no way hampered with my desire to read this book!
It was an engaging read and I loved how the Author took us through her journey of being abonised over the events that occur in her life. This is Paris's second book and I wouldn't hesitate to say that this is better than the first one.
It is one of those books that pull you right into them and leave you troubled- as troubled as the ones in the book.
I wanted to know how the book would end, just as much for Cass as for me. It kept me up, and I couldn't read anything other than this book while I was at it!
Overall, if you love books that are more about character development and totally mess with your mind- you could find yourself enjoying this one😍. (Gave me the girl on the train, woman in the window feels)
When B.A Paris publishes anything I am buying it the day it comes out. I am a dedicated fan and never fails to disappoint.
Paris' books hit all the right spots for me. Mystery, intriguing characters, suspense & red herrings with a great plot / setting.
I always read Paris' books in one single setting because I can't be taken away / need to know what happens. I have missed meals and deadlines.
Amazing psychological thriller. Is she truly going mad ? That is the question you will ask yourself over and over. Kudos to the author