The Unhappiness Syndrome

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Jul 2018

I felt this book didn’t really have a lot of new things to say that haven’t been said before, however there were some good points throughout it. It was enjoyable for the most part.
This book was impossibly good! Fresh twists, mysteries upon mysteries, and a somewhat ambiguous ending that I'm still thinking about days later. I hope to see more from this author in the future!
Overall, I did not find this book very helpful. I like that the book centers on positivity. It did lose me about halfway thru. The entire tone of the book changed.
A practical and easy to follow guide on how to fight negativity and negative thinking. Thank you for the opportunity .
A great guide on improving one's outlook on life. It's practical and provides helpful affirmations and insight on how to navigate through negative thinking.
This book felt like a one glove fits all solution. I enjoy self-help, business and any format of psychology books, but this one didn't feel like any of them. I didn't enjoy it and tried with difficulty to finish it. I don't particularly recommend it to anyone I know.
"Multitudes of people in this world are unaware that they are suffering from their own love of unhappiness."

Genius. This book is a must read, not only for those who are unhappy, but they shall profit from it greatly if they are brave enough to embrace the truth and open enough to let the message of this book sink in. I loved it and could develop a better understanding of myself and the people around me.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I read this book because the description said it would help change our negative thought patterns.

Overall, I did not find this book very helpful.  The first half was helpful with some good advice and affirmations.  The last half of the book I was not able to relate to and a good part of it I did not agree with.  The topic turned to; finding a spouse, how to get along with a difficult boss and religion.

I felt some of the author’s comments were outdated.  Under the section “unhappiness syndrome for women”, there is a chapter called “I can’t find the right person to marry”.  It compares finding a spouse to job hunting.  The author's advice is to think of marriage as a limited-time opportunity and not to set your sights too high.

If this review was helpful to you please click the link below.
This has a few nuggets that represent really good advice, and I have wrote them down and will attempt to make the change!
However, most of it is the author forcing his personal opinion on his reader, and it’s a fairly sexist opinion.
This book wasn’t for me.....
Excellent book for anyone struggling with depression, self-esteem issues, envy or the like. Being able to break down and understand why one thinks or behaves the way we do, is always the first step to change. Emotions, outside influence, and other factors cause many of us to fall back into sometimes unhealthy patterns. This book gives an excellent look into the reasoning behind and ways to end a monotonous cycle, that many don't even realize they are pulling themselves back into.
This book was hard to relate to and to get through. Seemed a bit dull to me. Would like more personal writing style.
I didn't even make it though. I haven't had the best couple months and this focus on positive attitude and I just couldn't handle it. However the book is the is well written.
This is a very good book.  I wouldn't say I am "unhappy" but at times I think that I am handed situations that I can't handle and I often feel sorry for myself. I don't believe things will ever get better.  This book opened my eyes to a lot of things and I'm glad I got a chance to read it.

The book is positive and it gives you all different ways to try to better your life. It motivates you to think differently about the hand we are dealt in life.

I'm a fan of self help books and I did enjoy this one.
The central premise of this book is worthwhile - we tend to draw unhappiness into our lives with certain patterns of negative thinking.  But the book too often resorts to sexist or overly simplistic advice. I found it of limited usefulness for me.
My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest review.
I'm really disappointed with some of the advises, I had high hopes for this book
sadly I won't recommend this to any one
I loved this book in the beginning because I could relate to some of the "symptoms" however literally halfway through this book I stopped being able to connect with what she was saying. She moved more toward religion, marriage, and work. I am religious, but I didn't agree with the things she was saying and I didn't agree completely on her religious beliefs either. Due to not being able to relate anymore I didn't want to eve finish this book, but I did anyway. I'm not saying others wouldn't find it helpful, but it wasn't helpful for me.

Let's talk about the parts I did find helpful though since I did relate more with the beginning of this book.

The negative thinker's mind has fallen into a patter of pessimism that leads to unhappiness. This means that when he hears a remark about himself, even if no malice was intended, it can set ff a negative reaction of hurt.

The beginning of this novel was very much on negative thinking and ways to help fix it. I'm a pessimist a lot and so this book wasn't too bad when it came to things to fix mindsets such as that. Some of what I don't agree with though was the "just change your thinking" solution of fixing an unhappy mindset. I know that it works and it works for a lot of people, but I don't like how it's stated as if it's very simple and easy to do. Sometimes it can be but it's not all the time and I don't think that's emphasized enough in this book.

This book definitely has some great tips in the beginning. One thing I really like was when the author talked about envy and how to help fix it. Everyone has a little bit of an envious side to them and she suggests that instead of being envious that you look at these people you envy as role models and you learn from them. That way you can better yourself and reach higher goals rather than staying in the same place and being mad you're not them.

This book does a good way of explaining that changing isn't instant and that it may take time and hard work, but it's very achievable. She doesn't talk down to you in a way that would make you feel like it's your fault, she let's you know that it's more common than you may think.

Overall I gave this book 2.5 stars because I only related to half the book. It was a good half, but the second half didn't really have meaning to me or my life. However, I believe anyone could find some help with this book and that anyone can relate to at least one symptom in this book. If you think it might help I definitely suggest it, but I would only read the sections you think might help not the whole book unless you relate to everything it says.
Book is fun and informative. A great read with practical tips for finding happiness.
I like that the book centers on positivity. The past few months have been difficult for me due to deaths, illness and a difficult move. I noticed over the last month I have started to lose some of my enthusiasm, so I picked up a free digital copy of the book, graciously provided to me free from the publisher though NetGalley.  The positivity reminders are great, but I can’t help but wish there had been more depth.
I received this book from Netgalley to review.
I was curious about this book and really wanted to read it to find way to change some habits I may have that could be making me unhappy. The book went through twenty-eigth types of unhappiness and the ways to change these behaviours that cause them. Most of the book was very enlightening but parts of it I really did not agree with and felt that it was a little sexist on the part of the author. However, overall the book does have good suggestions for changing those habits that cause us to be unhappy in our lives.
This book shows us twenty-eight types of unhappiness and shows us how to.change it. I liked most of this book, but there were parts I disagreed with. However, I think this is goid for those wanting to learn the causes of unhappiness and how to change it.