Story of L

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Where to begin? I requested this book from NetGalley because BDSM and erotica books can be really well written and have a nice story going. So I remember requesting this book based off the cover alone (I'm usually not that judgey lol).

The story is about Liv, nicknamed L by the woman who becomes her "dom" Cassandra halfway through the bok. Their dynamic is very strange, and not typical "D/s" behavior in my opinion. There's a few other side characters, all in the scene of course, who don't have too much bearing on the overall story. There's a "bad guy" type naturally, but it was so weak it honestly wasn't needed. Something called The Void is mentioned a lot in the beginning on the story and it is a rather stupid name to call that hunger inside all of us who craves sex. And there were less than a handful of sex scenes in this story, which was disappointing for an erotica genre book. Plus no safe word agreement mentioned? Yikes!

I did not care for this book. I had a very hard time getting through it all. The story nor the characters captured me in the slightest. Thank you NetGalley for this read.
I enjoy a good BDSM book but this is the first time I read from f/f perspective.  It wasn't bad and of course, the lifestyle was presented in a positive way.  Sometimes the story dragged but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed.
Very descriptive book but I loved it from beginning to end. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future. Highly recommend.
Story of L is not a typical romance, but rather a unique, intriguing and engaging love story that runs deep and tells the tale of a woman on a search for something. Without even realizing it, that elusive thing is satiated by a woman that is revered and respected in the lesbian BDSM community as very nearly an icon. She offers Liv the chance to become something more and they embark on a journey of discovery and deliverance.

This is such a hard book to review because its nuance and depth are difficult to put into words, but it is a fulfilling and engaging read that gripped me throughout.
3.5 stars - Story of L by Debra Hyde was a very well-written BDSM full-length novel between Dominatrix Cassandra and her sub, Liv (L). I think the dom/sub dynamic between the two main characters was extremely well depicted in a way that was believable and healthy. Cassandra always asked for consent and gave Liv the space to think before taking major decisions. I really enjoyed learning more about the lesbian BDSM scene through Liv’s experiences at the BDSM club. The author describes scenes vividly; I never read anything like that and it was quite fascinating. However, some kink made me a bit uncomfortable (i.e. humiliation kink?), but that’s on me.

The part that has me dubious though is their profession of love for each other. There isn’t a moment where the two women talk about themselves, their lives, let alone their feelings for each other. And whenever they talk to each other, it’s about their arrangement or the lesbian leather scene. I can believe there’s an infatuation, but love?

Nevertheless, this is a really good story to just immerse yourself in and learn more about different facets of the scene. This isn’t just straight up smut for the sake of it, so don’t go in thinking that’s all there is. It’s a book about self-discovery, connection and trust.

Thank you to Riverdale Avenue Books and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Honestly, I had no idea what to expect with this book. Having read the synopsis, I was very intrigued. I definitely enjoyed this book and I believe the sexual scenes were written very tastefully.
Thanks to the well-crafted publisher’s blurb and several well-written reviews on NetGalley, I went into this book eyes wide open about the subject matter and about the potential graphic nature of the content.  Which was important because I could see how some consumers of the Fifty Shades of Grey brand (or even the Crossfire brand) might not be able to dive in headfirst into this book - let alone finish it.  There are no brand names or trendy music sprinkled throughout.  The sense of place remains vague.  And there is definitely no renunciation of the lifestyle or other return to the mainstream at the end.  Yes, there is profound self-reflection by the characters and a happy ever after ending.  There is true love at the end.  But it all works out in a way that makes sense for the reality that the characters live in.  This all may be uncomfortable for those who don’t live in - or fantasize about - that reality.  But if you’re open to it, this is definitely investing a few hours in reading.
I received an ARC of this book via #NetGalley.

I felt like this was a very solidly written BDSM story. It seemed more realistic than most. I didn’t realize that it was a solidly lesbian story, which I am personally not into, but I did still enjoy the story and thought it was quite well done. I took a star off the rating because I felt it could have used a bit more proof reading. I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but I did get confused in some areas when transgenders were referred in some places as female and others as male with pronouns. I do recommend this story to fans of BDSM erotica.
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks NetGalley!

erotica, dom/sub/ bdsm, lesbianism;

definitely a sexy read.    i'm a huge fan of erotica that touches down on submission and bdsm.   i'd read others by this author
uhrm .... this story was difficult for me to read...and now difficult for me to review.

I requested this book out of curiosity of how lesbian bdsm world would be betrayed. This book was disjointed and the flow was hard to keep in line. One minute its a descriptive narrative on a persons feelings and the next was about some other scenario entirely,  The word 'yet' seemed to be used repeatedly, which always comes across as a filler word when it's not even necessary.
Liv is being plagued by the "void" that seems to consume her.  It is almost an unquenchable sexual hunger that demands satisfaction beyond all common sense.  Liv turns to her friends to help he slake her needs.  While she does find some type of relief, it just isn't enough.  Well, until She walks in.  Cassandra is a legend in her own right.  She not only tames Liv's void but gives her so much more to hold onto.  Before long, Liv finds herself on the road to being a true submissive at the hands of Cassandra.  This is the very first bdsm f/f book that I ventured into reading.  I really enjoyed it.  Debra Hyde's writing is fantastic and kept me turning the pages.  Her characters literally leaped off the page and never left you wondering.  It was a quicker read, I managed to finish it in one day.  I enjoyed the depth of emotion that she packed into it.  It has plenty of juice and steam in it too.  I was really glad I gave it a shot.  I do recommend it.  I did receive this book from Net Galley for an honest review.
DISCLAIMER: The book is given by NetGalley, the author and the publisher in exchange of an honest review. All the review written is not related to any personal issues or connection.

TRIGGER: This is an erotica book which offers several sexy and steamy scenes or things related to BDSM. Get your vibro ready!

“By contrast, Liv fell somewhere in the nebula of androgyny. No doubt in form and soul, and a lesbian in love and desire but neither butch nor femme in either presentation or whom she found attractive, Yet she did not feel undefined; being queer was being enough, and she liked not having to fall into a strict dichotomy. It was like having your cake and eating it too.”

Defo a very sexy book to read

Full review https://literatureisliving.wordpress.com/2019/04/01/story-of-l-by-debra-hyde/
I've loved reading books by Debra Hyde for awhile and this one did not disappoint. While a quicker story than some, this is well developed and intense.  A lot of emotion and not gratuitous sex scenes but things that really advance and add to the story.
This novel provides a glimpse into the world of submission and dominance , bondage, piercing, tattooing,  and ownership, It may push the vanilla readers to look up terminology,  grapics and piercing diagrams. In the midst of exploring a world of sex lies a love story. The fabled, older dom Cassandra and her submissive L.  We follow the lovers as they meet at the H club full of sex and lust. Through L's journey to submissive and falling in love. This book is a must read for those who want to explore the other side of pleasure and pain. It can also be a guide for those seeking to be an excellent  submissive. It is not a one and done novel, the reader will review it often and maybe incorporate some of the scenes into their bedroom. Happy reading and playing.
3.5 stars. This was a modern retelling of The Story of O, but with characters that have different sexual orientations. The story of Liv’s descent into submission to another woman, Cassandra, was absorbing. It was very different than what I usually read, but the great writing style kept me hooked. I felt Liv’s nervousness and captivation with Cassandra as she took each step towards submission. There was a slow spiral downward, and I was left on edge wandering, 'How far will will Cassandra have Liv go?'

The story was told responsibly and realistically. Consent and all the problems that can arise within this sort of lifestyle were addressed. In a market where good lesbian romance and erotica is sorely lacking, this book fills a void.

I will say that there were moments that dragged in the book. Some of the scenes were explained with such precise detail they came across as more clinical than erotic. The developing relationship between Cassandra and Liv was so interesting these moments were worth pushing through, and
halfway through the plot got crazy (in a good way) and I couldn’t peel my eyes away.
This was decent, I loved the relationship but erotica is not my favourite genre. I still recommend it though, if you enjoy a sub/dom relationship.
Interesting read. I liked the different twist on the dom-sub story involving two women. Actually had a decent story line and kept me interested through the end. I would read other books by this author. She seems to have a good grasp on the concepts and workings of the community.
Although I'm a fan of both lesbian and erotic fiction, this book didn't hold my attention. There was nothing I actively disliked, and at times I was truly drawn in by the prose. But I found it all too easy to set aside to read something else, and ultimately gave up at about 50%.  I won't be posting a review outside of NetGalley.
I liked LIv a lot. She is hardworking, loyal and unafraid to ask the important questions. Her submissive side did not turn her into a mindless idiot with no sense of precaution; instead, she was sensible in giving in to her wants without risking her life.
Cassandra is harder to place. She doesn't really play a major role until halfway through the story, so she has less page time overall and suffered for it in my opinion. While I was happy she was not put on a pedestal, I still found her role as the love interest/dominant to be underdeveloped and more wish-fulfilment than an actual three-dimensional character. I loved seeing her flaws and reading about her differing perspective on the scene.
But Reese was definitely my favourite. His role in Livs and Cassandra's dynamic was very interesting and I loved it whenever he was on the page. I also think he was the best-portrayed switches in the entire story.
As for the plot, I am undecided whether I liked it or not. I understand that this is partly a fantasy that I can totally get behind and enjoy. Who wouldn't want this infamous dominant suddenly be interested in you? And I think most of the risks were avoided or at least prepared for. Do I disagree with some of LIv's choices and Cassandra's demands? Yes, but I can also see the appeal in taking a chance.

The writing was okay in my opinion. Some metaphors were too dramatized. The author sometimes went off on tangents that ripped me out of the moment. So did all the classification in femmes, butches,  and so on, it felt very artificial and robotic. Liv makes several remarks about her (too) femme clothing; the importance placed on that confused me. And Liv calls her submissive cravings the Void was something I just could not get behind, it disconnected me to the story. And, personally, I just was not a fan of the ending.
I feel the balance between smutty BDSM scenes and everyday life was well done.
I received this ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first BDSM F/F novel I have read, so it is definitely a departure from what I am used to reading. In some ways I found it to be easy more intense than M/F SM books I have read. It was very well written and the characters well developed as the story of unconventional love is portrayed. That said, it wasn't the type of story I am into. For those that are really into the lifestyle, I feel you will enjoy this a lot.