Cover Image: Story of L

Story of L

Warning- this books is explicit in nature with many strong scenes, language and themes, and is not suitable for audiences under 18 years of age.

The story of L falls under erotica, yet it challenges the very premise and foundation of the genre. Don’t get me wrong, the book features very graphic and descriptive depictions of sex, I mean, LOTS of very graphic and descriptive depictions of sex, but it’s not just the sex that keeps the reader turning the page.

First of all, the relationship between Cassandra and L - for the lack of a better word - is intense, but I think when you really engage with the story itself, you realise that the relationship is no less stunning or lacking in any ounce of love than those in any romance novel. Hyde captures love and passion in such a raw and authentic way and I find it so incredibly beautiful.

Second, its not like the usual sex with a chance of a storyline. The book also contains such mundane but honest parts of every day life, and a smattering of well developed side characters. The inclusion of some of these moments makes the main characters seem that much more real and complex. Erotica isn’t often a genre that focuses on maintaining the integrity of these points in particular.

With an obvious loving devotion to how this book was delivered, Hyde gives the reader a space where they take a path of transformation, learn devotion and loving submission alongside L.

Something I didn’t expect was to have learnt so much during this book. Not only did I discover new terms and concepts, I also got a glance into a different community that I’ve had little to no involvement with in this sense.

The only reason I didn’t give the book five stars was because there was a scene involving knives that put me on edge. I don’t mean any ill will to those who enjoy it, I just think that at this book of the book it wasn’t really needed and there is so many other possible ‘scenes’ that could have been used in place of this when it comes to BDSM

I was given the opportunity to read this book thanks to Debra Hyde, Riverdale Avenue Books, and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed this book and was surprised at how richly detailed and descriptive it was. I enjoyed it very much. It was a titillating emotional story of lesbian love and acceptance with a BDSM slant. I also really liked the characters. They were well fleshed out, showed vulnerability and depth. I highly recommend it.

*Thanks to Riverdale Avenue Books and NetGalley for this Ebook in exchange for my honest review
Thank you to #NetGalley for this book.  I have never read this type of book before, erotica, submissiveness to a "slave" etc but it was interesting to say the least.  Not to say I will be reading more but you never know.  It was quite a different read for me.  The author did a good job in describing the acts of play.
The Story of L is a work of lesbian erotica. It delivers us into the life of “L”, a switch, who becomes enthralled by Cassandra and learns deep submission.

This book was truly compelling. Debra Hyde does a fantastic job illustrating scene-setting; I could picture everything around me as if I were there.  She also skillfully presents intimate connections within various types of relationships. This piece made me feel so much passion, desire, and longing, both sensual and deep.

*Disclaimer, I know nothing about BDSM
Wow is the first word that comes to mind with this story. I expected it to be a story filled with erotic dreaming or something akin to Fifty Shades. I did not expect to get a real story with real characters that aren't black and white and 2-dimensional. I love how the author introduces us to Liv and her submission. Then we meet Cassandra. Cassandra is something of a legend in the scene. I very much enjoyed how multi-faceted Cassandra is and how the author informs the reader that just because someone is a Dom/Domme, it doesn't mean they navigate that space all the time. They are still people with needs and emotions, just like the rest of us little submissives.
The Story of L is a dark romance/erotica by Debra Hyde about a lesbian named Liv, a submissive, and her relationship with Cassandra, a dominant. Liv and Cassandra meet at a BDSM club, Hippolyte’s where Cassandra dominates Liv.  After meeting at the club, Cassandra’s personal assistant Reese reaches out to Liv to see if Liv is interested in pursuing a relationship with Cassandra.  She is and must endure multiple trials to see if she is worthy of being Cassandra’s submissive.

What I liked about this book:
**I really enjoyed that this book featured power play that is inherent in a domination-submission relationship. This power element in these types of relationships are not always sexual and the author captured this well through Liv’s trials.
**The Story of L also did an excellent job showing some of the mental challenges and experience of submission in a thoughtful way.  There was a lot of discussion of Liv’s void and what submission feels like.
**I found the story to be compelling and the pacing spot on.  While Liv was going through her trials, you felt that sense of waiting along with. I read this book in two sittings – mostly because I wanted to see how the relationship unfolded and how the story ended.
**The sexual scenes were hawt!
**The ending felt appropriate for the story.

What I didn’t like about this book:
**I found the lack of discussion about consent during the first chapter (party at the BDSM club) to be very troubling.  Before meeting Cassandra, Liv played with her friend and long-time play partner Quinn. They did a very intense scene that had no negotiation or indication that there was negotiation beforehand. This scene included audience participation. As they had a long-standing relationship, they may be aware of each other’s limits, preferences and needs.  This could have been handled quickly by saying they had discussed the scene on text before the party.
**I was troubled by some of the language used about Reese.  Reese is Cassandra’s personal assistant and is also a trans man. It was clear that the author was trying to honor the character’s gender but it came across poorly and transphobic. Some of the examples included a weird hyper-focus on how Reese’s body had changed during his transition. I’d really encourage future work to have members of the trans community review and give feedback on the writing if the author has trans characters.

Overall, this book has good pacing, a balanced view of the dominance and submissive relationship with hawt sexual scenes. I’d recommend it to individuals looking for a dark romance that features BDSM.

Thank you to Riverdale Avenue Books for providing this ebook in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book is very very VERY intense, I can’t stress it more. I have read books about BDSM, but never this intense. This book was pretty good, and its laid out through a whole different perspective, through the eyes of the LGBTQ community, there was so much diversity, that’s one thing I loved about this book. There is no character development, so I felt I didn’t know anything about the characters, the focus was more on BDSM. This book is not for the light hearted, you will walk out almost damn near blushing after every BDSM scene, I sure did, lol. Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Really enjoyed reading this book, super intense though i couldn't put it down, must admit its one that I would happily pick up again and read,
Overall I would recommend to anyone to read it, can't wait to get it on my page and let my followers know what I think about it!
This was intense!
I'm not a big fan of erotica so maybe this wasn't for me. Still, I enjoyed it.

I think this is a book that must be read without big expectactions of character development. It is all about the submission and I believe if you're genuinely interested in the topic this will be a great read for you, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Thank you Netgalley for the gifted copy, all thoughts are my own

This was the first bdsm novel I've read so I wasn't really sure what to expect and am not able to currently compare it to others in this genre. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, but I enjoyed it. While some make not consider it "romantic" in a traditional sense it does contain love and care between characters.

It also contains consensual "sexual punishment". Whips, chains, humiliation ect.

While it definitely won't be for everyone, it will be fantastic for others.
This truly is a love story set among the world of BDSM. The introduction of both characters comes early in the book and their relationship progresses steadily through their dominant/submissive relationship. As I was reading, I felt engrossed and compelled by the main character: Liv. Her unwavering willingness to push herself and her clear understanding of limits, boundaries, needs helped flesh out the psychology behind the relationship and opened up the veil so we could witness love growing from there.

I was delighted to see a trans person as a primary character and the author’s knowledge of physical changes during transition. No ounce of trans-phobia at all throughout the story. There was some maligning of bi-sexuality, but that was a character’s point of view, not the point of view of the two main characters. It did not read like it was perpetuating intolerance and disrespect toward bisexual or pansexual people. It illuminated a bias by a single character.

When I finished reading, I felt tired and drained, but satisfied. This was mostly because I felt exhausted witnessing the characters push and push and push their own boundaries. It would take an amazing amount of energy to enter into a relationship such as this and I can’t even muster up enough to put the laundry away some days, I admired the authors vivid descriptions and the sex was unique, nothing I had ever read before.

Debra Hyde is simply a good writer and her characters are believable and likable. Telling the story from the submissive’s point of view was important, I think. With any BDSM story, I need to see clear consent before I can read it through. Having access to Liv’s thoughts and experiences demonstrated consent the whole way through.

I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review,
3 stars

So, I know nothing about the BDSM scene or lifestyle, and have no interest in exploring it myself, but it was interesting to see what it was all about in this fictional account of such a relationship. I also appreciated that the "love" scenes weren't overly graphic, so that the story focused more on the relationship, rather than just the sex. While intellectually I understand that people enjoy these type of relationships, I can't say that I understand that desire, even after reading this.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and Riverdale Avenue Books in exchange for an honest review.
This was honestly the first time I picked up an erotica which I kind of liked reading.. Having read a couple before this book in this category, I had my inhibitions and doubts about how the authors deal with the subject, but was pleasantly surprised with this book. The author has managed to touch this topic without going overboard and turning it into a sleaze affair.

Five stars for the manner in which the author has written this one.
The Story of L by Debra Hyde
• Romance, f/f erotica, bdsm, LGBTQ+
• Winner, Lesbian Erotica in 2011, Lambda Literary Awards

Rating: 4 stars

The Story of L is about Liv, a lesbian who struggles with her constant desperate desire which she tries to quell by going to a sex club. One night she meets Cassandra, a notorious  dom in their gay bdsm community. What follows is L’s (Liv’s) journey into being a submissive and ultimately falling for Cassandra.

Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book! It’s not my first sapphic romance, but as my first lesbian erotica/bdsm novel, I was pleasantly surprised. The writing is beautiful and you really feel L’s emotions. I know nothing of the bdsm lifestyle so I cannot speak for its accuracy, but everything was explained in great detail and wasn’t left in the dark.

Also, I absolutely loved Reese; Cassandra’s transgender, life-long friend/assistant, who forms a friendship with L and helps her navigate her new lifestyle.

Interest: 4/5
Romance: 3.5/5
Heat: 4/5
Happy Ending: Yes
Cliff Hanger: No
Would I recommend: Yes

*** I was given a copy of this book for an honest review by the publisher through Net Galley ***
I might have bit off more than I expected with this one. This is not for the faint of heart. It swings deep into BDSM, which I guess was the whole point...hence the 4 stars, but I’ll admit I had to power through some parts of it.

There was the feel of a graphic novel with this. The way the world sways around the main character with little significance as she finds ways to feed the ‘Void’; then it morphs into a journey of self discovery. I thought the way the story circles its and ties up was good. What I enjoyed most about this was the way Cassandra’s was vulnerable and how L evolves to submission.

Overall, this ventured too far into BDSM for me but there’s a good story told. For what i think it was intended to be, it was good.
Well written full length bdsm novel. Relationships between characters was believable and healthy. Scenes were crafted vividly.
#Storyof L. This is a tale of love among the leather lesbian community. Liv has experience within the BDSM community. She often tops others. However their is a part of her that longs for something she does not quite understand. She calls it the void. I believe that is a good description on the part of the author. The character Liv details how she is left after each unfulfilling encounter.  One night a Domme of legendary proportions,  Cassandra has a tryst with Liv. Both their lives are changed as both seeks to form a connection with the other. Perhaps leading to a relationship. Cassandra seeks a slave and sets about building Liv into nthe perfect slave for her.

For the most part it is a good story. It is my opinion that explanations of several terms or practices for those unaware of the culture would have helped with comprehending what was going on several places within the novel. I also struggled with keeping up with the transgender characters as the author fluctuated between the gender pronouns, He, she, her and him. It made for confusion.

I would have also liked to have seen the inner thoughts from Cassandra during the build up towards their relationship. The author did a wonderful job of doing this with Liv. For me if you are telling the story of a developing relationship it should include both parties.

It is a quick read and very well constructed. I would recommend it to those who enjoy erotica.
This novel tells the story of a woman who becomes the submissive to an aging dominant in a psychological /sexual relationship.
While I do not fully understand this relationship, it was an interesting read. I believe the intent was to show how what started as a primarily sexual encounter became a love story of sorts.
It is well written. It covers ( assumption on my part ) sexual encounters of the lesbian  submissive/ dominant culture in quite a bit of detail.
I received this ARC for my unbiased review.
The Story of L is a compelling love story set in a lesbian BDSM scene.
L is empty and disorientated after the end of a long affair but encounters Cassandra, a legend of the scene, at a club. She is immediately entranced and we follow her steps, via some memorably dramatic submissive events, into a full, and ultimately loving relationship with Cassandra.
From my position of biological distance from the scene, I found the encounters believable and exciting. It felt like Janet P Hardy had written the Story of O and been able to give the characters real feelings and credible evolution through the development of the story up to its happy, but not necessarily inevitable, ending.
It’s richly poetic on occasions and imbued with many of the memory triggers that we nourish from our childhoods to enable us to smell and taste our current worlds and put our lives into larger contexts.
I did find it striving to be overly literary on some occasions (“She replied in the affirmative,” is not what people really do) but I found the narrative nevertheless engrossing and, from the perspective of an outsider, fascinating
Full disclosure -- I don't usually read this kind of a book and went into it with just some curiosity.  This is an escapist lesbian BDSM novella that was too hard core for me in terms of pain and domination -- whips, electricity, extreme humiliation, and so on.  It tries to be a love story and to have a feminist main character, but I didn't relate to the main character on any level.  For those who want a fix of extreme BDSM lesbian sex, this will probably fill the need well.