Two Girls Down

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jan 2018

As a mother myself, I found it hard to read sometimes just because my imagination starts running wild. This book was really well-written and the plot was well thought out. The characters were flawed which made them even easier to relate to because in reality we all have our faults.

The one thing that through me off wasn’t the story itself but I wasn’t able to connect with the main character Vega. I ended up connecting more with Cap, her partner. Otherwise, I would have rated this higher.

Overall, this was a good missing person (s) story that will leave you questioning how good is good parenting? Are our expectations even realistic?
Wow, it's been a long time since I've read a strong detective novel. Louisa Luna writes a roller coaster of a compelling read. I found myself reading straight through this well paced and plotted novel.  I think that what I most  appreciated was the depth and complexity of the characters, and the richness of their interactions. The dialogue was crisp and fit both the characters and the situations. The twists and turns were not telegraphed, and the suspense level was high throughout. I would definitely read more from this talented author.

The police have no leads. A mother is desperate to find her two missing daughters that vanished from a parking lot while she ran into the store for mere minutes. Not knowing where else to turn, the family hires Alice Vega, a bounty hunter from California, to come track down the girls. Vega has her own means of getting inside information and finding people, but wants the expertise of Max Caplan, an ex-cop, to support her in finding the missing girls. But regardless of who is looking, as the days tick on, the chance of finding the girls alive becomes more slim.
This is the type of plot that I’m drawn to. And when executed well, a reader can be brought on a twisty ride of suspense. I was...

See Full Review

It has been a while since I read a suspense novel and I was ready for something fresh from someone new. Two Girls Down sounded interesting, so I was excited to read this new book from a debut author. I found the book to move a little slower paced than I like my suspense novels to be, but I liked the book as a whole. I thought there were some great twists and intense moments that are really important for books in this genre. I also liked the aspect of the bounty hunter working with the former police officer. It made for an interesting dynamic. I could see the pair continue on as partners in a book series. I would love to see more of them together in future novels. I would recommend this book...

See Full Review

Can you imagine how you'd feel coming out of a store and the two daughters you left in the car are gone??? I'd freak out just as the mother did!

This is how the book starts and it grabbed me into the story right away. How do two girls disappear from a strip mall so suddenly and why? What a great beginning!

The story was fast paced and the characters well developed. I really enjoyed this book and would like to see a series with Cap and Vega doing private detective work. They had good chemistry together.

Looking for a good suspense novel? This is one I would definitely recommend!

* I was provided an ARC to read from the publisher and NetGalley. It was my decision to read and...

See Full Review

Two Girls Down is a compelling mystery that grabbed me from the first page and never let go. Single mother Jamie Brandt is taking her girls to a birthday party, stops at a store to run in and pick up a present and comes out in minutes to find them gone. It’s every parents’ nightmare.

Luckily for Jamie, her aunt called in Alice Vega whose record on finding missing children is second to none. Vega has a preternatural sense of what to ask, how to make connections, and she also has the Bastard on retainer, the best hacker ever. Seeking local help, Vega connects with “Cap” Caplan, a local private investigator who mostly does divorce and skip trace jobs. He was a cop though, and she needs some...

“Two Girls Down” by Louisa Luna
She’ll only be a minute. That’s what Jamie Brandt thought when she carelessly left her two girls in the car while dashing into K-Mart to buy a birthday gift. An action that she later regretted when she returned to her car a few minutes later to find her girls missing.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book! When I began, I thought, OK, another deadbeat parent who pays absolutely no attention to her children and whines when something bad happens to them.
In the first few pages of the book, Jamie Brandt declares she “was not a bad mother”. Really? Curse words, alcohol and drugs just to make it through a short drive and kid’s birthday party?...

Product Details

This was surprisingly good for genre fiction.

Review copy provided by publisher.

Need a page-turner of a mystery for your next vacation read? Here it is. At first, the plot line might seem a bit ordinary: young mom, whose life choices are not always wise, parks her car at K-Mart to grab a birthday party present, leaves her two young daughters in the car, and yes, upon returning, the girls have vanished. However, thanks to the two main characters, this is not your ordinary thriller. Alice Vega, a bounty hunter and all-around bad-ass, is hired by the wealthy aunt to find the two girls. Vega has a golden reputation, made famous by media attention, in bringing home missing kids. Once she arrives in the small Pennsylvania town, Vega needs a partner and a way in to the police...

See Full Review

A small town in Pennsylvania, a town considered safe, a mother makes a mistake with horrific results.A single mom in a hurry, she leaves her you get daughter's in her vehicle and runs into Walmart to grab a last minute birthday gift. When she returns to her vehicle, she experiences a parents worst nightmare. Her girls are gone.

The grandmother hires Alice Vega, a bounty Hunter who specializes in finding missing children. When she gets into town she hires Cap, an ex policeman who has a storied past with the department. I enjoyed both these characters, Vega is a take no holds, follow no rules kind of woman. Her only goal is to find these two young girls, preferable alive. She is a match...

See Full Review

Two Girls down by Louisa Luna is a fast paced mystery driven by great characters.
In a small Pennsylvania town, two girls Kailey and Bailey gets kidnapped. Their mother’s family hires the bounty hunter Alice Vega to find the missing girls.
Alice Vega has a great track record in finding missing people. It’s her specialty.
“So you find missing people, that right? How many people have you found so far? “
“Eighteen”
“How many times have you been hired is the real question?”
“Eighteen”
When Vega lands in Pennsylvania, She is immediately shut out by a local police department already stretched thin by budget cuts and the growing OxyContin and meth epidemic. So she requests the help of a...

See Full Review
Thx to Netgalley, Doubleday Publishers, and Louisa Luna for this ARC. I love when I find a new author that can take what could be just another mystery/thriller and put a new spin on it. This one did just that. Alice Vega is a protagonistic female heroine and Cap is a disgraced former police officer who team up to find 2 missing girls.. There are multiple characters that you need to actually think about and multiple storylines which will keep you guessing. I loved this book and hope this author continues on with these characters . It would make a great series.
The book itself drew me in because I enjoy suspense and was excited that Book of the Month had chosen it as a January box pick.  I couldn't put this book down because I wanted to know if both girls were going to make it. Vega was a very unique and strong character that brought a lot of the action to the story. The plot was built in a manner where there various layers to the story, it wasn't a typical story because you kept learning new things as the story went on. Thank you Netgalley & Doubleday for this e-copy.

Jamie wondered how the girls could care so much about what other people think. Kylie is ten years old and Bailey is eight. Jamie wishes for a simpler time with her two girls. The girls now always seemed to need or want something. All Jamie wanted was a few seconds of peace. They are on their way to a birthday party and are detoured to a different way by a cop. They stop at a strip mall and Jamie goes in for a present leaving the car idling and the girls in it.Jamie comes out of the store about ten minutes later and the car is there but the girls are gone. Later after looking at a tape after Jamie had went into the store the girls were seen going into a ice cream shop and sampling all the...

See Full Review
Excellent book, really gripping mystery combined with an awesome female character and a great male (work) partner. This reads like the start of a series, which I would welcome as Vega and Caplan make a great team. This book reminded me a bit of the Dennis Lehane Kenzie and Gennaro series, which is a huge compliment. Highly recommend and look forward to more from this author.
I really enjoyed the spunk of Vega, and her strong personality, and overall get it done attitude. Cap is trying to find his way back after being let go from the police force after taking the fall for a friend. He is a little more by the book but also really smart. I liked the two paired together and would love to see this as a series.

There were at least two sections of the book that I found to be really offensive in terms of derogatory language toward two different groups, which prevents me from giving it 5 stars.
Alice and Max were a great team. I loved watching the two of them play off each other, starting with suspicion and disdain and ending with teamwork and triumph. The missing girls plot was thinner than I would have preferred. Although I was interested the entire time, this story did not quite reach the level of "page-turner."

By the 1% point on my kindle, the author had already saturated the book with the f word, cursing involving God, ( I really hate that! I find it very offensive. ) and sex. It continues along that vein from beginning to end. Of course, the police and private investigators use lots of profanity, because this is the stereotypical way they speak in all recent books I have read. In this book, even a few of the children use some profanity. After a while, it really got to be overdone.

The mother of the missing girls, Jamie, is vulgar and proud of it. She thinks her daughters will remember her as cool when they get older because she used the f word in front of cops. She is also proud of her...

See Full Review

Most avid readers have our irresistible elements and tropes (for me: hate to love books, tough-girl-with-a-soft-center stories, coming of age themes, road trip books and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting.) Then I think most of us also have a mental list of those kinds of stories that we just don't want to touch.

Books about bad things happening to children and animals are at the top of my No Thanks list.

So. What made me try Two Girls Down when the blurb started out: when two young sisters disappear??  idk ... but it was probably the phrase "enigmatic bounty hunter Alice Vega." I'm a sucker for a tough-girl thriller heroine.

My takeaway: always trust your...

See Full Review
This story resonated on so many levels. First of all, Alice Vega, prickly and socially inept, felt like a real life person I might know, someone that I might not like initially but that would probably grow to like over time. Second was the story of unraveling the girls' disappearance. You can't help but wonder about the randomness of real life incidents like this. How often is it a series of happenings that intersect at just the wrong time? This is a book that you will enjoy, but it will also make you think after you have flipped the last page. I want to see more of Vega and Cap. And Nell!

*ARC via netgalley*