Spring 2017 Debut Fiction Sampler

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thank you for this interesting and varied sampler. I love ear-marking books for review and these excerpts make it so much easier.
I always try to get these. They are a nice collection of samples of books to look forward to. Lots of titles stood out.
Many thanks to Netgalley and publisher
Fiction samplers are always a fantastic way of getting a teaser and finding new titles to enjoy. I have always loved them and read them whenever possible. I especially look forward to debut fiction samplers since I don’t know the authors and may not come across them otherwise. This one was no exception. As with any other collection, you love some and some not so much.

Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo

I loved the sample so much, I ended up purchasing a hard copy of the book. It was my favorite one of the samples and one of my favorite books of 2017 and the type of complex literary fiction I am most drawn forward to. I love international fiction, especially from cultures I know little about and I always look forward to learning more while being immersed in a place I know nothing about.

The Space Between the Stars by Anne Corlett

Based on the sample, I didn’t think that book would be for me and I did not mark it to be of interest.

Dead Letters by Catie Dolan-Leach

I would never have given this book a second look based on the cover alone. Never! I still don’t like it at all as I think it targets the wrong audience. With that said, after reading the sample, I could not wait to read the entire book. I was pleasantly surprised by the literary quality of the book vs. the plot centered novel I was expecting.  I would most likey read the author again.

American War by Omar El Akkad

Another one I purchased for my library. I had already seen the book listed on several lists of anticipated fiction, so was looking forward to it before downloading the collection. Excellent read that I have been sharing with friends and recommending.

Gilded Cage by Vic James

I liked this sample for what it was, but did not go on to read the book. It looks like it’s still on my TBR on Goodreads, so I might try to get it from the library.

Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love

I read the sample and went online to preorder the book. I loved that gritty, well written novel and the insight into south LA gang life it afforded. Found the descriptions to be very vivid and the characters well developed, particularly Lola. A well-deserved spot on the Edgars nominations list and I can’t wait to read the author’s second book, American Heroin.

The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor

Did not read. Not my type of book.

Ten Dead Comedians by Fred Van Lente

Did not read. The sample didn’t hold my interest.
Loved this sampler, which will help me make some of my next fiction selections. What a great chance to “test run” an array of titles before making a purchase. Like having the tastiest hors d’oevres!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for access to the SPRING 2017 DEBUT FICTION SAMPLER.
It is always nice to get an idea of what is coming up but very hard to write a review on a bunch of samples!
Honestly these samplers shouldn't count against you percentage on netgalley!
I really enjoyed the excerpts from this sampler, so I am excited for the featured titles to hit the shelves! :)
An unmissable resource for all bookworms. Included are excerpts from some of the most anticipated titles of 2017. It is a rare occasion where you are able to check that you enjoy the authors writing style as well as the story being told before committing and reading it.
I loved the excerpts in this sampler! I can hardly wait to find the featured titles in my local bookstore!
Excellent sampler which I found very helpful to find the next picks for my book club and of course for my own bookshelf.
I really enjoyed reading this sampler with the diverse selection of books it draws attention to.  So useful to have these books brought to my attention.  Thank you so much;
I use this on my blog to spotlight upcoming releases that my readers might not know about
As usual, I really appreciated the opportunity to read new books ahead of publication dates. Thank you!
What a great preview of several new books coming out in spring. I love samplers and this one was no different.
This is great! I have added so many titles to my TBR after reading this PRH sampler and, what is super exciting, is that they are all debuts!
Amazing sampler with great books, added many to my TBR! Can't wait to read them
I so appreciate the samplers as a wonderful tool to help me with Readers' Advisory!
What a great way to get exposed to genres you wouldn't normally look at!! I read all of the excerpts, requested one, and wrote almost all of the others down in my notebook.  Those I will buy at a later date.
I really enjoyed the excerpts in this sampler. I can hardly wait for the featured books to hit the shelves!
I'll always look forward to the short previews .....none of the titles this time captured my interest
These samplers are a terrific taste of forthcoming titles.  However, in this case, I do  wish there was a brief background provided about each author and his or her story. I am particularly looking forward to suspenseful twists in DEAD LETTERS by Caite Dolan-Leach and to spending time in the alternative world  envisioned by Vic James in GILDED CAGE.