Heather, the Totality

Pub Date   |   Archive Date 25 Dec 2017

I had high hopes for this book based on the author, Matthew Weiner, and his creation, Mad Men. Unfortunately, this lacked everything that made the show unique - the plot was predictable, the writing was overly simplistic, and I failed to appreciate any of the characters. This felt more like an outline for a story as opposed to a fully developed novel. The basic story is about the Breakstone family: Mark, his wife Karen, and their daughter, Heather. Even at a young age, Heather's vivacious personality made people flock toward her and propelled her into success and popularity at school. Of course, she also attracts the attention of a worker (a former convict) at her apartment building...

See Full Review

I loved Mad Men. I mean ... Don Draper, right? He's a pretty fantastic character, and I loved how Matthew Weiner showed how a man with everything he thought he wanted nearly self-destructed when he realized that he had it all wrong. So thanks to that television show, we know Matthew Weiner can write. We know that he understands characterization and agency. He knows how to tell a story. Heather, the Totality might make you wonder about that, though. For one thing, at a scant 144 pages, it is so fast-paced as to feel like Weiner had a strict word count. This is okay when he's breezing through Mark and Karen's backgrounds and beginnings, but when you get to the climax and denouement...

See Full Review
This is a very short book and although the story was gripping I felt the characters were not fully formed . tells the story of a wealthy couple and their daughter. A released sociopath becomes obsessed with the daughter. There is a little background on each character . although I did read it to the end I felt it was sparse

2.5 stars. I can understand the negatives reviews for this book because it was underwhelming. People are complaining about the writing style but it didn't bother me that much. I guess this just felt like a slightly bulked out storyboard for a TV show, which would make sense as the author wrote Mad Men. Some people think there is no character development in this novella, but I can't say I agree. Mark and Karen are well described throughout the book and though you don't get much history into each character, you learn enough about them as they grower older together and have a child. Same goes for Bobby. Heather, on the other hand, is more difficult to get to know. We didn't really get...

See Full Review
This slim volume represented to me a storyboard for a film or a TV series. The book captured my attention immediately with the fear that two of the characters who lived on opposite sides of the Hudson River would someday meet and tragedy would be the result. The resolution was very interesting.

I was taken by surprise by this book. It was as if I was watching the events while they were occurring. The way that the brevity of the writing conveyed the intensity of the emotions happening held my attention and drew me into the story. Everyone seemed so alive and close by that I found myself wondering how can I tap someone on the shoulder and say, Hey your are not noticing something important! This story captures the complexity of human relationships and the struggle to move from awareness to action poignantly, especially the spiral of emotion that moves one from being uneasy further and further towards desperateness. It captures well the mystery of how people with so many...

See Full Review
What an incredible novella. I was so exited to dive into this because of the author (huge Mad Men Fan) and it did not disappoint. Both breathtaking and page-turning, I gobbled this up on one day. I really hope he writes a longer novel soon.
The name recognition of the author will guarantee that this book gets checked out at my library, but the book itself is full of choppy sentences, exploitative rape fantasies, and awkward pacing that may discourage readers.
Given the writer's link to Mad Men, I jumped at the chance to read this. However, it was terribly written with no prose or character development. Because of the writing style, it was a quick read but it wasn't enjoyable. None of the characters were likeable and it was generally poor.
This was the worst. Really awful stuff. Not well written at all.
This book caught my interest with its descriptive prose, and it is interesting...but it wasn't quite my cup of tea. It is a fast-paced book with a few twists and turns but I don't know if I would recommend it except maybe to fans of Mad Men.