Fear

Pub Date   |   Archive Date 25 Jan 2018

A Crime Thriller with a Difference:
I have to admit that this book took me totally by surprise. Both its content, style and prose were not what I expected when I started reading. This is a very contemplative read which isn't indicated by the book's cover comments. Nonetheless it is a thought provoking novel which made for a very interesting read.
Most crime novels follow an expected pattern: basically asking the question who-dun-it? after the perpetration of the crime. This novel does it the other way round. Dirk Kurbjuweit presents us with the conclusion and then explains how events unfolded to arrive at a conviction.
In fact, the novel is not so much about events but rather...

See Full Review
What can be done when your downstairs neighbour begins to harass and stalk you, making your life a misery with his behaviour?  The description of this book sounded great, just my type of thing, but I really struggled with it and it took far longer to read than it should’ve done.  It wasn’t a thriller, more like a kitchen sink drama with some really unappealing people.  More about Randolph’s family history than his troublesome neighbour, so wasn’t a gripping page turner.  Would it read better if it hadn’t have been translated into English?  I did like the cover.
An uncomfortable, claustrophobic story very dark.that will send shivers down your spine and make you think how far you would go to protect family and those you love and care for,was very different to how I expected it to be but was enjoyable if that is the right word..........
This was a book by a new author to me. I’ve enjoyed reading this book, and will look for other books by this author in the future.
YOU'D DIE FOR YOUR FAMILY.

BUT WOULD YOU KILL FOR THEM?

With a start such as this FEAR has to be a must read.

A tale of a nightmare neighbour, and Dieter Tiberius is on another level.

Randolph's  father is in jail convicted of murder. Randolph unhappily married finds a love letter addressed to his wife and as more things happen the whole drama unfolds into something quite terrifying

I loved this book.. We have all had a neighbour who has been a bit of a pain but this is something else.it is absolutely superb and kept me up at night, i so wanted to read it in one sitting.

It is scary, sad and it is beautifully written

Just how a good book should be done
I found this book disconnected all the way through and kept wondering what was the purpose of reading it. The author has tried to put a twist in the end but I still felt that it did not really complete the book. The characters were well developed but the book lacked structure.  A lot of Randolph’s background growing up did not add to the main story.

I was looking forward to reading this book. However, when I started I soon found out that it wasn’t what I was expecting.
The story is narrated in first person by Randolph. His family finds that they are being stalked by their neighbour. He writes Randolph’s wife Rebecca letters and some poetry and then accuses them both of sexually abusing their two children. The police are not taking the threats seriously and eventually they take matters into their own hands. How far will you go to protect the ones you love?
The book is well written with lots of detail, the ending however didn’t surprise me as I guessed it earlyish on, thank you Netgalley and Orion Publishing for letting me...

See Full Review
A flat on the ground floor in Berlin a middle class family of 4 living in it, their nightmares have just been brought to light by the tenant living in the basement below them. They love their home and don't want to move out but accused of sexual abuse of their kids, poems and stories about the mother written by the stalker leave you feeling more than a little unpleasant. There is some good twists to this story and I felt it was well translated from German. Great ending too.
Thanks to author, publisher and netgalley for arc of this book.
I expected a really tense thriller from the description and the cover but ultimately was left really disappointed.

Thank you to NetGalley and Orion Books for providing me with an ARC! All opinions are honest and my own.
Reading the synopsis, I went into this thinking it was going to be a tense, fast-paced thriller however I was left disappointed. This was an interesting read nevertheless however it was not the one that I was expecting.
This story follows Randolph and their family as they move into their new home only for them to be stalked by their neighbour who lives in the basement. He sends’ Randolph’s wife letters and poems, spies on the family and even reports them to authorities with false accusations. This all sounds quite chilling and terrifying especially when since this story is loosely...

See Full Review
Fear by Dirk Kurbjuweit is a psychological thriller that is very different from so many other books in this genre because the reader knows up front who committed the crime. The mystery is how this crime came to be committed and the interesting family history and family dynamics that influenced the narrator (the son of the killer) and his family. The book has been well translated from German. I enjoyed reading this title very much.

This is the story of Randolph, married man and father of two young children living in Berlin. He is an architect and things are going well for him in their ground floor flat in Berlin.

The Berlin he grew up in was a frightening and anxious place. The regime they lived under caused untold fear amongst it's citizens.

Randolph's wife, Rebecca. Feels very uncomfortable about Tiberius who lives in the basement flat. He ansiety grows and things escalate when he accuses the parents of sexually abusing their children. He has gone too far and his life is ended.

The characters Randolph and Rebecca appear to be good hardworking people. His father, rather more frightening. I...

See Full Review

This is definitely a unique read and one that will stay with me for a while, but there are also parts that I perhaps didn't click with as much. For one, I didn't like the main character and no matter how good a story is, it's hard when you don't connect with the person telling you the story. There was qualities I liked in him, especially how protective he became of his family, but the second his secret was revealed at the end, he lost all his redeeming qualities for me. There was a lot of backstory given and I feel some was more worth it than others. All of the parts of his childhood with his father were 100% needed, because it completely explained their relationship...

*2.5 STARS*

Having read the synopsis for 'Fear' I was expecting a tense, heart pounding read, but I'm afraid I was left feeling deeply disappointed.

The story is narrated by Randolph, (an architect) who finds that he, his wife and two children are stalked by their neighbour. The neighbour writes letters and poetry to Randolph's wife, and more worryingly, makes false accusations to the authorities saying they sexually abuse their children.

Although the story outlines a middle aged man's attempt to cause as much fear and intimidation as he possibly can for his neighbours, his story actually takes something of a backseat, the main focus being on Randolph. The...

See Full Review

I received a free copy of Fear from Netgalley and Orion Publishing Group. This is no way affected my review.

Publication Date: 25th January 2018
Review Date: 03rd November 2017

DNF @ 28%

When I first found Fear on Netgalley, it sounded like an amazing book. I was super excited to read it, I added it to GoodReads, and started reading it the day I got it, on April 26th, 2017. I binged the prologue and first few chapters with ease.

This starts off, really well. I mean really well. I’m very picky about the crime books I read and this started off with exactly what I like. It was dark, it was gritty, it was enjoyable. And then it took me seven months to get to 28%.

Now, don’t get me wrong...

See Full Review

I found Fear by Dirk Kurbjuweit to be a captivating read. The writing is hugely addictive and I found the lead character, Randolph, engaging. I don’t think I would quite call it a fast paced thriller, although the writing definitely did draw me into the story. Nevertheless, I did find the book a really enjoyable read and I’m sure I’ll be looking out for more from this author in the future.

Randolph and Rebecca live a comfortable lifestyle. They have two children, Paul and Fay, who they adore. Life couldn’t be better for them. But when they move into a new apartment, their neighbour, Dieter Tiberius begins to accuse them of heinous crimes against their children. Randolph and Rebecca are...

See Full Review
Great premise....it sounds so exciting in the blurb.It wasn't!The while book is written from the father's point of view and is just a very long account of what's happened.It does have some childhood memories(which a lot of don't seem to serve much purpose) and randomly detailed accounts of meals in restaurants.I just wanted it to end.

'Fear' is a first-person account of a normal situation gone bad: Randolph's neighbour becomes threatening and scary to his wife and children, however his actions aren't illegal, they're just scary. It seems like there's nothing Randolph can do to protect his family, and this is the story of what happens.

This was a quick read, and very easy to read in just a few sittings, however I found the plot to be a little dull and predictable, and the first person narrative too immersive with not enough actual action to keep me entertained - too much thinking and not enough doing from the point of view character. It was very well-written and well-structured but there...

See Full Review
I found this book interesting, although it wasn't what I was expecting after reading the description.. The story takes place in Berlin, and is indeed about a family who are terrorised by a neighbour. The said neighbour sends letters accusing the family of sexually abusing their children. We know from early on that the narrator's father is in prison for killing the neighbour. What follows is basically an analysis of family relationships, and how they led to what happened. I found it slow going in places, and didn't particularly warm to the characters. However, thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
Had me gripped from the very first page to the last. A five star winner for any fan of this genre.