Click'd (Click'd, Book 1)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Sep 2017

Kids 5th grade and up are going to enjoy this wild ride of a story! Allie creates a cool app that matches people by interests, but, oops! there a glitch! it can spill everyone's secrets unless she can fix it - and quickly! This is a fun  story! I really dislike computers, but the kids enjoy them and understand and the issues about them. Funny, the younger the kids, the less concerned they seem to be about glitches....
This is definitely a book kids can relate to as it focuses around technology and a new app that main character, Allie has created. It's gone viral and her schoolmates are loving it, until Allie discovers a coding problem that could share all her new friends secrets, but with a competition looming, will she have time to finish changes or will she not be able to compete at all? This is a story that kids will relate to as they play on their phones and tablets!
Fast-paced and timely middle school story with a great technology premise.

Thanks to Disney Hyperion for the advance review copy of this title - all opinions are my own.

CLICK'D tells the story of a middle school coding superstar who develops an app at a summer coding camp and is surprised to have it become a smash hit when she debuts it at her school. Allie is a very relatable middle school character and this is written perfectly for the upper middle school crowd who live with their phones. There are lessons of integrity and friendship included in the story, but are in no way preachy, and the code-speak is appealing for techies but understandable for even only the end-users.

I will definitely be buying this one for my middle school library and can't wait to get it into the hands of my students! If you are looking for a similar book for younger readers, try the GIRLS WHO CODE series, and if you want something for older readers, WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI is perfect.
While I definitely enjoyed my experience reading this book, there are some issues with pacing and character development in the middle that left me wanting just a bit more.
I wanted to read this one to see if it would be a good purchase for my library.  This one is about a girl in middle school who goes to a coding camp over the summer and develops her own app.  The app she develops is intended to help people make friends by matching you with people in your area based on the answers to a quiz you submit when you first download the app.  She is entered into a contest by a teacher after her app presentation and decides to launch it to the public early so she can share some real life stories of people using her app.  As with most technology, she doesn’t have all of the bugs quite worked out and her app ends up causing some problems instead of just connecting more people.  Will she be able to fix the issues in time for the contest or will she just be known as a complete failure?
I liked the premise of this book as a confident middle school girl creates an app pretty much on her own.  It was a bit predictable for me, but I think that middle schoolers will appreciate this plot line.  I think there are some good themes in here about friendship, perseverance, and the power of human connection.  I think I will probably purchase this for my library, because I can think of some of my makerspace lunch members that would really appreciate this story.  #bibliophile #bookstagram #instabooks #bookaholic #booksofinsta #bookworm #booknerd #booklove #bookgram #books #readersofinstagram #mglit #kidlit
Cute, relevant, real, and inspiring. Click’d has all the elements I look for in a middle-grade realistic fiction read. Great characters, strong plot, and realistic ending.
I love everything that Stone writes, and Click'd is no different. Whenever I place it on display it often gets picked up.
Wonderful, empowering STEM-positive story for the middle grade set. I loved the sweet story and character-driven plot. I can't recommend this book highly enough, Great for girls who need to be reminded they can do anything!
Thank you to Disney Hyperion for the ARC, provided via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Click’d is one of my favourite books of 2017. What is not to love? It has a kick ass coding girl, friendship, humility, responsibility and a cute adorable dog.

While I know next to nothing in respect of coding, I loved the concept of Ally’s game and it sounded amazing and like something that I, as the reader, will even enjoy. I loved the fact that quizzes were asked.

I really loved the fact that Ally wasn’t perfect and that no quick and easy-peasy repair was given to the damage caused. I loved that she had to work hard to repair the damage to her coding, her friendships, and her reputation; and to also experience humility. That is such a great and refreshing find in books and such an amazing life lesson to be conveyed, especially to younger readers.

I enjoyed that her parents were so supportive, that they encouraged her to solve her own problems and to take responsibility for her actions. This just gave me such warm and fuzzy feelings.

I especially enjoyed that the issue with real (offline) friends vs online (mostly unknown) was illustrated and that it essentially clashes with one another. I liked that the uncertainties regarding it were explored, especially in such a way that younger readers will comprehend the possibility of making friends online in a safe manner but also to making friends offline in the real world. To not feel threatened with current changing friendships in this regard.  That is what I got mostly from it, as it is something that I have felt threatened by while growing up; online friends vs offline friends and to get a balance between that.

The book has a great pace especially when the whole book takes place during one week and I never experienced a lull in the story. The book was really well thought out and had great attention to detail.
However, I still encountered issues. I experienced problems with the format of the e-ARC, as the pictures and such were a little off. But I think this effect will be perfect in the finished copies and especially in paperback. So it is a minor issue. I will most definitely buy a finished copy.

I recommend Click’d to anyone who loves kick-ass YA heroines, who loves characters who messes up and redeems them self, who loves characters who learn hard lessons along the way and to any reader who has ever made lasting friends online. If these elements appeal to you, then you will not be disappointed in Click’d.
Click'd was such a fun but also heartfelt middle-grade novel. There is a great portrayal of Allie, a girl who loves her friends and their soccer tournaments but is willing to leave a summer of that behind to attend her 'computer camp.'  CodeGirls is even more than she had hoped it would be and she comes away from it not only with new friends, but also a great game: CLICK'D.

I loved that Allie loved coding and wasn't afraid to express that fact. It was something she enjoyed and, even if her school friends didn't understand it, she wasn't going to dial back her enthusiasm or pretend. For a seventh grader, really embracing something different that you like could be heard but she really was herself.

Allie's reaction to finding the glitch in CLICK'D was realistic but also made for a good story. The choices she made were understandable and, as a reader, you can agree with her or not, but see why doe did it.

I appreciated that Click'd was not full of quick fixes or instantly corrected wrongs. Both with relationships and when it came to the coding, solutions had to be figured out, tested and attempted. Sometimes they were the right and things were fixed. Sometimes it was more complicated. They was that the error in the coding might bring about a problem between people was smart and well done. All of the coding, the talk around the glitch, and how things work, etc was done well and used enough terms but without being overwhelming or losing readers who don't know code.

Click'd is a great middle grade debut from Tamara Ireland Stone with a great depiction of a girl who unabashedly loves coding - and is good at it. The author does a great job having the characters and their relationships and growth happen around and because of CLICK'D and its coding.
When seventh grader Allie is sent to CodeGirls camp for the summer, she uses computer coding to develop a fun interactive game called Click'd. The game and her end-of-summer presentation are so incredible that she is invited to present the game at a major coding/gaming competition. When Allie gets back to her middle school, the game catches on quickly, but some minor issues begin to arise. Then a big one occurs that compromises her classmates' privacy and may cause her to shut down the game for good. Allie quickly discovers that the only chance she has of saving her game, entering the competition, and protecting everyone's privacy is to swallow her pride and ask her arch nemesis for help. Can she trust her main competition? Will she get the game up and running in time? Will this coding glitch cost her more than a shot at glory? Tamara Stone has created a well-written middle grades novel that students will enjoy reading. Allie is a smart girl who loves computers and coding but also plays soccer and has great friends both at camp and at home, a nice break from the typical stereotype for "computer nerds". Middle grades students will find plenty to like here.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Alli's had an amazing summer at CodeGirls camp, and though she's excited to get back to her friends, she's also sad to be away from her new friends that get her coding excitement. While at camp, she built her own app CLICK'D to help people meet each other and make new friends. She knows her app will be successful in this year's youth coding contest, where she hopes to edge her competition and classmate Nathan. Allie's school friends are so excited to try CLICK'D they convince her to release it before the contest.

At first CLICK'D is great, and it's working exactly as Allie hoped, then the app seems to glitch. Allie has to decide if it's worth the risk of keeping the app live while trying to fix the glitch or shut it down and risk losing her new found popularity.

THOUGHTS: Click'd takes a look inside the mind of a girl who is trying to navigate friendship while figuring out what really matters to her. Readers will be subtly cautioned about content on their phones and what they post for all to see. This was a lighthearted and fun read that shows girls it's okay to like coding and be competitive.
A cute little middle grade/young YA story that's a quick but enjoyable read. It's a generic tagline but it's also a little bit of a generic book. That's not a criticism, just a fact. This book isn't the next big thing, but it's not a slush pile escapee either. It's a quick simple story with a couple frills.
I LOVED Click'd. It's exactly the kind of book we need right now, showing girls the really cool things they can do, making tech and coding seem fun and worthwhile, not making a big deal out of any of it. The app is great without being a kitchy idea some books might shove in as a way of talking down to the kids- it sounds like a real app, that a real kid would make, that isn't stupid or pandering. It's a great app, is what I'm saying, and I'm very proud of all the good girl characters in this book, and all their ideas. The writing is so cute, too- the story isn't "cute" per say, because that does it a bit of a disservice, but it's just fun to read. The author really knows how to write for kids without making the dialogue and plot dumb, and without making the kids seem older than they actually are. A conflict type that could have been overplayed but wasn't, the "secrets revealed" trope has a slight new spin that people can relate to, but it's not something unforgivable. I really really want a sequel to this book, so that I can reread one and then the other and then the first and then the second over and over until we get a third. I also want every single one of the apps described in this book. The charity game was barely seen but it was so good? More!!!!
Twelve year old Allie Navarro has just returned to Mercer Middle School after spending the summer at Code Girls, creating useful applications to download. Allie has created a game called Click'd, the application matching teens with similar interests to potentially find new friends, awarding Allie with a place within the prestigious Games for Good competition. Allie refines the Click'd programming in preparation for the upcoming competition, competing against quiet achiever Nathan, an intelligent, socially recluse young man creating Built, a game with the potential to change lives through Habitat for Humanity. Click'd is downloaded and enjoyed by the student body but the application is accessing personal photo albums and making them accessible to active users, upsetting and humiliating her classmates and best friend Emma.
​​
Allie is a lovely young woman, intelligent and inquisitive. Only twelve years of age and having created a wonderful application that will allow others to create new friendships by being matched with like minded individuals, forgoing her summer spent with her friends to develop the game at the all girls coding initiative. Allie's genius will potentially reach a global audience of players but spends her free time troubleshooting the Click'd defects. It's in the Mercer Middle School computer room  where she and nemesis Nathan begin to discover they have more in common than they both realised.

Click'd also explores the moralistic obligations Allie has towards users as sensitive information is shared and the implications of the breech of privacy. Early teens and middle grade readers will enjoy Allie's journey although mature teen and adult readers may find Allie bothersome. I admired her determination and although guided by the lovely Ms Slade, Allie valued her own newfound popularity before that of the privacy of her peers, including humiliated friend Emma.

Click'd is a quick, lighthearted, entertaining read for early teens, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sixth grader Allie Navarro is SO excited about the friendship app she built at CodeGirls summer camp. Click'd collects data about user interests and sends users on a scavenger hunt to find other users with similar interests. It went over big at camp, and now Allie is going to show it to her BFFs at school. She's also presenting her game at the big Games for Good competition, but she's going up against her nemesis: Nathan Frederickson, who wins EVERY science fair and drives her crazy.

The app goes over in a big way, but it's not as great as Allie thought it would be. People are upset about their standings on friendship leaderboards, and a technical glitch ends up embarrassing one of her best friends. Things start spiraling out of Allie's control; even with Nathan's help, she's not sure if she can make things right in time for the competition.

I'm excited about the new coding fiction trend that's emerging in light of Girls Who Code's nonfiction/fiction releases! Click'd is great to hand to readers who may be ready to move on from the Girls Who Code series fiction, or readers who may not be ready for Lauren Myracle's TTYL books just yet. There's friendship drama for sure, as well as positive messages about resilience and friendship. Each chapter contains screenshots of the Click'd app, adding to the fun; readers can watch Allie's user count change, and monitor different leaderboards to better envision how the app works (and maybe get some ideas of their own). Tamara Ireland Stone gives us realistic characters and an interesting storyline and builds an extended universe of CodeGirls - girls who all met through a Girls Who Code-type camp - that will work for future novels.
This was a good story about friendship and coding. Highly recommend.
Imagine having an app that matches you with friends who would be perfect for you, just by answering a few questions. Well the protagonist of Click'd, Allie, has done just that at Code Girls camp. After an initial trial run it works like a charm, but a hiccup in the coding soon means that things are getting shared that are supposed to remain a secret.
I really enjoyed reading Click'd, more than I expected to. I love the coding camp, and how it leads to the Games for Good competition. The friendships within the pages felt real, especially with how fickle they could be, but I also loved how Allie wasn't going down without a fight, even if it meant asking Nathan for help.
I'm looking forward to another book in this series, and I'm already trying to work out who's story it's going to be.
This new book on coding is phenomenal! Allie is a totally believable character--a young girl just trying to make a fun app to help her friends and all teens her age, but everything goes horribly wrong. I liked seeing all of her different friendships and how the app changed each one, including with Nathan.  We need more books about code--and we need more books about girls who code! I can't wait to show this one off!
Cute story about 7th grade coder girl who creates an app "to do good" for a competition. It's a viral success in the first week of school, but there is one small flaw, the competition is the first Saturday after school starts. Do you put your competition at risk to fix a privacy flaw?

MDL grade book, appropriate language, action, for audience. Would recommend to 6th-8th graders and I did book talk it last month at my local public Middle school. THEY LOVED IT!