The Truth We Bury

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Aug 2017

Not my favorite recent read, but not my least favorite.  Kept me intrigued, but i found myself wanting more.  It had twists, and kept me guessing, but something was lacking for me and I cannot quite put my finger on it.  I will surely edit this when I figure out what it is!
The truth we bury, is interesting in that it deals with the emotionally side of PTSD and how it can, when left can lead to the devastation of relationships. Told from the point of view of the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom, a couple’s wedding preparations are halted by the death of a bridesmaid. Although parts were predictable, The Truth We Bury also touches on how fragile mental health can be and how secrets and lies are never kept buried.
This was a quick, enjoyable murder mystery but it wasn't a favorite.  Although the story was interesting and I wanted to finish, I was making mental notes along the way about the writing style and lack of depth.
As you can see from all the books I have read by this author, see below, I am a huge fan.  I love her writing style, which is descriptive and allows the reader to get lost in the story.  She also has a talent of weaving and interweaving suspense until it ends with a climatic ending.  I thought, that since I have read so many of her books, that I would be able to figure it out but once again, an ending that I didn't see coming.

In THE TRUTH WE BURY, AJ and Shea are getting married in 2 weeks.  A joyous occasion for the couple but both mothers have doubts that this is a good match (vague not to cause spoiler).  But it all comes crumbling down when one of the bridesmaids is found murdered in the groom's apartment.  The police start their investigation but AJ, the groom, goes missing and the evidence they do have, AJ is the main suspect.

Only AJ's fiance and his mother don't believe that AJ could do this.  Or is this just denial?

A cryptic note is found and another bridesmaid is found murdered.

A parent's love, is it always unconditional?  Are secrets and lies truly buried?

Once again, Ms. Sissel keeps the reader glued to the pages that are full of suspense!!

The only negative I had reading this book, since it was an ARC, is now I have to wait patiently for the next novel by this author.

I highly recommend this book and all of her earlier books and I'm sure like me, she will be on your "authors to read" list.

Bravo Ms. Sissel !!!  Another extraordinary read!
I loved this book, finished it in a few hours. It's a great book filled with suspense and family secrets where relationships and emotions mix together.
The story, which starts with the murder of a bridesmaid, tells the tale of two mothers. Lily whose son, AJ, is accused of murdering the bridesmaid and Dru, whose daughter, Shea, is AJ's fiancée and his staunch supporter.
Both the mothers have had a difficult emotional past which have left scars, and this influences their decisions and outlook. Each mother is trying to protect her own child. Lily feels both pain and and love for her son AJ, with whom she has not been able to connect, since his childhood and especially, after his return from the war. She struggles hard to prove his innocence. Dru, on the other hand, just wants to save her daughter from what she believes to be a grave mistake.

Barbara's words show the angst which the mothers experience. This book is a wonderful play of emotions seen from the point of view of both Lily and Dru. There are a lot of twists and turns, a good whodunit and family secrets, which doesn't fail to thrill.
One of my favorite genres- filled with lies, secrets and scandals, this did not disappoint. Kept me wanting more and completely hooked until the end! Very well written.
I tried very hard to get into this book but I just couldn’t do it. I found it very uneventful
I honestly could tell by the writing of the first 2 chapters that it wouldn't be a good fit for our box and had to put it down.  I may read it again in the future!
Did not finish, as I recall there were too many cliches in the first chapter(s) of the book
Thank you NetGalley for providing a free copy of this book.

This was an overall good book, kept me entertained, but at the end I confess I started skimming because I just wanted it to end.  I felt that the story was dragging a little bit at the end.

But it was a good book and I will definetely read books from this author again.
I really enjoyed the family drama and dynamics in this novel. Sometimes it was heart breaking and tense, and then it also provided a bit of hope. Barbara Taylor Sissel has given us a strongly emotional novel, a journey of secrets and deceit, and what family is all about.
I certainly got emotional when reading this, and I can't quite explain why. I enjoyed reading this, but was left with a few questions at the end. It didn't seem like everything got wrapped up, so hopefully there will be a second book!
This is a really good story which held my interest until the end. AJ and Shea are getting married. Two weeks before the wedding the body of one of the bridesmaids is found murdered in AJ's apartment. He is the suspect and cannot be found. The story is told by Lily who is AJ's mother and Dru who is Shea's mother.  Lily believes her son innocent and Dru believes him guilty. Both women will do anything to protect their children! When another bridesmaid is found murdered, the hunt for AJ becomes more intense! Read on!
Not entertaining in the slightest, couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.
Very interesting domestic suspense novel! Fantastic read. Grips your from the first page and doesn't let you go until long after you've reached the end. 4.5/5 stars
I Give this book a Four out of Five Stars.

Thank you to Ashley and Amazon Publishing for sending me an E-Book of "The Truth We Bury" for free, in exchange of an honest review.

I liked this book, a lot. Having a lot of experience dealing with loved ones suffering from PTSD after being deployed to war zones, So I totally understood the character of AJ, and related to Shea, as the woman who loves him. For that reason alone, I loved this book. I felt like the writing was very smooth and fluid, and I breezed through this book. I also liked that there was a lot of back stories to the characters, and they were spaced well through the book. I liked learning the history of each character as I made my way through the book.

I did predict the who, but did not predict the why, and that was really great, as it still left something for me to figure out, And  to enjoy getting to the big reveal. I was left asking myself, what could truly make a person snap, is there a certain insanity already lingering in a person that's triggered, before they commit an unthinkable crime? What do you guys think?

I think I am going to read " Fault Lines" next as there was a mention to the story of that book, in this one, and it has my interest piqued.
The Truth We Bury - a great murder mystery with multi layered characters that keep you on your toes.

This novel is focused on Lily Isley and her family.  Lily is a wealthy woman with her own secrets she's keeping, but when the bridesmaid of her future daughter in law is found murdered in her son AJ's apartment and AJ being the prime suspect is nowhere to be found - Lily must keep faith, find her son and proclaim his innocence.

It's less of a thriller type book as it's advertised and more a 'whodunnit' murder mystery.

Recommend reading if you like a good twisty mystery novel.
The truth we bury is a great read - a murder mystery which builds tension right from the start but manages to be about much more than 'whodunnit'.

The writing is tightly controlled and tells the story from the perspectives of two very different mothers, which I really enjoyed.  I guessed the identity of the murderer early on, which is always satisfying, but there were enough twists and turns that I wasn't really sure until the final few chapters.
As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

Although it has its rough patches and a lack of unpredictable revelations, The Truth We Bury was a very compelling and thought provoking read that kept me glued to its pages. Certainly not my favourite or least favourite book of the year, Barbara Taylor Sissel crafts a twisty tale of questions and mystery. Most important to note is the way that it tackles PTSD and the emotional tugs it provides reader from start to finish. I find that the realistic approach it took towards a lot of mental health and the complexities of human emotion was refreshing and, at the end of the day, the biggest plus about the novel itself.

Told in two points of view, we really get to know the characters on a highly intimate level and to see the contrast of each of them as well as the past and what we imagine the future might hold. Full of secrets, mystery and intrigue--The Truth We Bury tackles more than just one plotline and genre, tangling up the reader and the story until many will lose track of their own reality. To me, that's what reading is all about.

I loved the element of truth and consequence and the question of what would you do if your child stood accused of a horrendous crime. Especially when that child is on the run. Where does the innocence lie? Where does it not? Does it exist? What happens next?

Much like earlier this year with Sibel Hodge's novel Beneath the Surface, readers will be left turning the pages with questions of their own and a different insight/view of the mystery than the characters featured in the thickest of plots. A fun, quick and chilling read that will fast become a favourite amongst many.
3 1/2 Stars
An enjoyable read, but I must say I liked Sissel's previous novels more.  The mystery was a bit on the lighter side and it was quite easy to guess the killer early on.  There were still some questions as to the why that kept my interest throughout.   Sissel does have a knack for writing the family drama and I'm looking forward to her next one.