The Truth We Bury

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Aug 2017

What a great book! I was hooked from the first page until the last sentence! I can’t wait to read more by this author!
I tried very hard to get into this book but I just couldn’t do it. I found it very uneventful
I honestly could tell by the writing of the first 2 chapters that it wouldn't be a good fit for our box and had to put it down.  I may read it again in the future!
Did not finish, as I recall there were too many cliches in the first chapter(s) of the book
Thank you NetGalley for providing a free copy of this book.

This was an overall good book, kept me entertained, but at the end I confess I started skimming because I just wanted it to end.  I felt that the story was dragging a little bit at the end.

But it was a good book and I will definetely read books from this author again.
I really enjoyed the family drama and dynamics in this novel. Sometimes it was heart breaking and tense, and then it also provided a bit of hope. Barbara Taylor Sissel has given us a strongly emotional novel, a journey of secrets and deceit, and what family is all about.
I certainly got emotional when reading this, and I can't quite explain why. I enjoyed reading this, but was left with a few questions at the end. It didn't seem like everything got wrapped up, so hopefully there will be a second book!
This is a really good story which held my interest until the end. AJ and Shea are getting married. Two weeks before the wedding the body of one of the bridesmaids is found murdered in AJ's apartment. He is the suspect and cannot be found. The story is told by Lily who is AJ's mother and Dru who is Shea's mother.  Lily believes her son innocent and Dru believes him guilty. Both women will do anything to protect their children! When another bridesmaid is found murdered, the hunt for AJ becomes more intense! Read on!
Not entertaining in the slightest, couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.
Very interesting domestic suspense novel! Fantastic read. Grips your from the first page and doesn't let you go until long after you've reached the end. 4.5/5 stars

I Give this book a Four out of Five Stars.

Thank you to Ashley and Amazon Publishing for sending me an E-Book of "The Truth We Bury" for free, in exchange of an honest review.

I liked this book, a lot. Having a lot of experience dealing with loved ones suffering from PTSD after being deployed to war zones, So I totally understood the character of AJ, and related to Shea, as the woman who loves him. For that reason alone, I loved this book. I felt like the writing was very smooth and fluid, and I breezed through this book. I also liked that there was a lot of back stories to the characters, and they were spaced well through the book. I liked learning the history of each...

See Full Review
The Truth We Bury - a great murder mystery with multi layered characters that keep you on your toes.

This novel is focused on Lily Isley and her family.  Lily is a wealthy woman with her own secrets she's keeping, but when the bridesmaid of her future daughter in law is found murdered in her son AJ's apartment and AJ being the prime suspect is nowhere to be found - Lily must keep faith, find her son and proclaim his innocence.

It's less of a thriller type book as it's advertised and more a 'whodunnit' murder mystery.

Recommend reading if you like a good twisty mystery novel.
The truth we bury is a great read - a murder mystery which builds tension right from the start but manages to be about much more than 'whodunnit'.

The writing is tightly controlled and tells the story from the perspectives of two very different mothers, which I really enjoyed.  I guessed the identity of the murderer early on, which is always satisfying, but there were enough twists and turns that I wasn't really sure until the final few chapters.

As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

Although it has its rough patches and a lack of unpredictable revelations, The Truth We Bury was a very compelling and thought provoking read that kept me glued to its pages. Certainly not my favourite or least favourite book of the year, Barbara Taylor Sissel crafts a twisty tale of questions and mystery. Most important to note is the way that it tackles PTSD and the emotional tugs it provides reader from start to finish. I find that the realistic approach it took towards a lot of mental health and the complexities of human...

3 1/2 Stars
An enjoyable read, but I must say I liked Sissel's previous novels more.  The mystery was a bit on the lighter side and it was quite easy to guess the killer early on.  There were still some questions as to the why that kept my interest throughout.   Sissel does have a knack for writing the family drama and I'm looking forward to her next one.
I received a copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this domestic drama/mystery.  It was very creative and kept me guessing until the end.  There were a lot of characters to keep track of.  However, the author did a good job introducing them and developing them.  I did not have trouble following the story line of keeping track of the characters.  Great beach read.

This book is domestic suspense at its best! This book grabs you from the first page and never lets you go. It is a terrific murder mystery that will keep you guessing till the end and then, bam, shockwaves! This is also a book about love, trust, betrayal and forgiveness. It deals,also, with the affects of PTSD. How it affects the person who has it and also those around him. This book is so well written and the flow is simply incredible. The characters are true to life and I knew them all on such a personal level. They come alive and jump right into your life. I felt their love, their pain, their anxiety and their hope. This book kept me enthralled throughout. The plot is one that could...

I would give this 3.75 stars

This was a really enjoyable mystery.

I thought the dual points of view was well done. I had no troubles in distinguishing between the different points of view at any point.

It was definitely a quick fast paced read but I didn't find the mystery particularly surprising and I definitely think the outcome could have been more of a slow unraveling as the story went on.

My favourite part of this story was definitely the commentary on PTSD. I loved that the author really spoke to how PTSD can affect not only the sufferer but the loved ones of the afflicted person. I also loved that the author touched on different things that may cause PTSD, i.e. having been...

See Full Review
First time reading this author for me and thoroughly enjoyed this one.  Engaging story of domestic violence and family secrets.  Great writing and loved the characters as well.  I know that I would do anything to protect my children even if they did something wrong so I can totally believe the sentiment of both mothers here.  Great family drama with enough suspense to keep me glued to the pages to the very end which was unexpected but fit extremely well with the entire story.  I know I will be thinking about this one for a long time coming.  This book would make a GREAT movie and a great book club read as well!!!  Thanks so much NetGalley for the ARC!!!
This book was a great murder mystery. So many secrets and lies and tons of family drama kept me reading way past my bedtime! I loved the characters. I felt Lily's pain as she tried to protect her son. I felt Shea's excitement about the wedding then her love for A.J. while she is defending knowing in her heart he couldn't have killed her bridesmaid. It is a wonderful who-done-it book that keeps you guessing until the end.