The Immortalists

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2018

Each sibling had a good story, but the whole thing was so tragic. Would they have led different lives if they hadn't seen the fortune teller at such a young, impressionable age?

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin is the epic tale of the four Gold siblings, and how they live their lives after visiting a travelling psychic as children and being told the day of their deaths. How each deal with the impending date is slightly different, and begs the question of whether knowing when you will die would be a good thing? How would it affect your life? Would it force you to make different decisions? Do you put your faith in a prophecy given to you by someone others might say is a fraud? Do you even waste your time thinking about it, or bury it away?

This novel is going to be a tough one for me to rate on a star scale, which is why I didn't give it one on Goodreads as...

See Full Review
This book is stunning! Where do I begin? The concept and plot are flawless, the characters were perfectly written, and the book reads beautifully. I read the novel in a single sitting because I couldn't stop turning the pages. It is a thoughtful look at life, family, and mortality. I wished it could have been longer because I would have easily read a full book of each character's life. Truly, a masterpiece. Definitely pick this book up!!
A sweeping novel of love, family, and drama and history.

It's 1969 and the Gold children are living in the stifling Lower East Side of New York. When they learn that a traveling psychic is in town they sneak out to learn their fate. Now, armed with the mystic's knowledge of the day each will die, Varya, Daniel, Klara, and Simon set out to shape their lives into what they will become.

The Immortalists delves into the connection between family members and seeks to answer the question of how you would live life if you were aware of the unknowable.

I found the birth of Ruby interesting because she hadn't been born when the other Gold children visited the psychic. I wanted to pay special attention to how the way she attempted to plan...

See Full Review

First of all -- the cover of this book is absolutely gorgeous. When I read the synopsis for this book I honestly wasn't too intrigued; I've had this book for months but hadn't picked it up. Once I finally started reading I didn't want to stop. This was a magical book in so many ways, and I think one that will resonate with all readers in one way or another. The story flows seamlessly through history, religion, and perspective.
Each sibling's character development is as impressive as it is immersive. We are introduced to each sibling immediately, but only as the plot progresses do we really get a feel for their profound individuality. I really felt like I knew...

See Full Review
This was quite enjoyable! I will be recommending it to my book club for a future selection. We love interesting and thought-provoking books, and aren't afraid to tackle big subjects. Thank you so much for the opportunity to read and review, I will be posting about this book on good reads.
Wow...just WOW! What an amazing story, flawed but compelling characters, beautiful writing. TheI mmortalists will be a book that haunts me for a long, long time. It’s a page turner I couldn’t put down.I loved this book! I've recommended it to every reader I know. Can't wait to read more by Chloe Benjamin.
At it’s core, it’s a book about how to life your life: cautious, reckless, loving, spiteful… And it’s not something that exists in the book as polar opposites, either. The four Gold children each had a way to live, and to die, that becomes true to each one. I thought the sections on Simon and Varya were the strongest, each reflecting a very strong personality and view of the world, with compelling goals and, in Simon’s case especially, some poignant tragedy. 3.5 stars.
I really liked this book despite some of the sadder story lines. It was a great premise about what we might do if we knew the day we would die. Would we live large and race towards it or be more careful and try to outsmart fate? I liked the use of four narrators and the structure Benjamin chose.

At last year's Book Expo Editors' Book Buzz, six books were presented as books to look forward to in 2017/2018. Ayobami Adabeyo's Stay With Me was one presented and it was the most compelling book I read in 2017. (The complete list is here.)

A.J. Finn's The Woman in the Window was also on that list and it shot to the top of the bestseller list when it published last week. (My review is here.)

A third book at that presentation was Chloe Benjamin's novel The Immortalists. It asks the question "if you knew the exact date of your death, how would you live your life?" Four young siblings find out that a psychic lives near them, and for a price she will tell...

See Full Review
If you knew the day you were going to die, how differently would you live your life? Does your belief or lack of belief in that piece of information determine your choices? These are the questions #TheImmortalists by Chloe Benjamin grapples with. A memorable book that leaves me with the firm belief that I do not ever wish to pursue the knowledge given to these children. True or not, believed or not, it changes lives. Words matter, and thoughts matter.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/03/the-immortalists.html

Reviewed for #NetGalley
I really enjoyed this book. I liked that each character in the book had their own chapters. The 4 Gold children take it upon to themselves to visit with a fortune teller who tells them the exact date of the their deaths. How each of them deals with this information is basically what this book is about. One lives carelessly and recklessly, while  another sibling tries to find a way to perhaps live forever.. The book started to lose steam for me on the last character's  Varya's storyline, .I didn't understand her rejection of Luke. nor why she didn't have a closer relationship with her siblings.. Other than that one storyline ,I thought the rest of the book was very good and interesting.

I have been hearing about this book for MONTHS and the praise has been everywhere. This book is pretty straightforward … four siblings visit a fortune teller and she tells them the exact date of each of their deaths. The rest of the book reveals the lives of each sibling and how knowing the exact date of their deaths impacts them. I found the novel to be a great way to explore the idea of fate and whether or not knowing when our life will end has an impact on how we live that life. My husband was told by a fortune teller how old he’d be when he died and he’s convinced that she was right after she shared other things that there is no way she could have known. I’m not sure I buy into that but...

See Full Review
This novel is amazing. I was able to read this in one sitting on a Saturday and I am so glad I did because I was not able to put it down.  The authors use of different POV's and time was refreshing and easy to follow.  I could really connect with each and every character throughout the book. It really is a must read for everyone.
A lot of people will like this book. I am not one of them. It was written well, but it was so boring to me. A few times I got frustrated with myself that I was still reading it. That said, I'm glad I finished it because Vasrya's section was the best part of the book for me.

The novel The Immortalists (2017) seems to be cursed by the very premise it seeks to explore: the interplay between chance and destiny is not an easy subject to tackle. Benjamin's somewhat tamed approach to it, however, makes it sound like a bad omen. Sadly, by the end of the book, this prophecy will have proved to be a self-fulfilling one.

The book is a decades-spanning story of a Jewish immigrant family. It revolves around the four Gold siblings — Varya, Daniel, Klara and Simon. When the story begins, they are respectively 13, 11, 9 and 7 years old. It is the Summer of 1969 on New York’s Lower East Side, and the Gold children are bored and restless. When they overhear a rumour about...

See Full Review

A fortune teller has come to town, four inquisitive kids who want to know when they will die visit her with all their savings. This is how the story begins. A silly visit, just innocent curiosity- but it stays with them all their life.
Klara and Simon move away from home, Daniel pursues medicine and Klara’s life shifts between taking care of her mother and devoting her life to research on life and ways to live longer. Each of the siblings chooses a way of life and pursues it. But somewhere, the constant knowledge of knowing exactly when they are going to die lives with them .
Simon embraces his sexuality, goes on to become a ballet dancer- a Simon much different to what he was when...

See Full Review
Clever and heartbreaking, THE IMMORTALISTS is propelled forward by the immediacy of its characters and the intensity with which each one sets out to answer big questions about purpose, destiny, and love.
It pains me to say that this simply either wasn't at all my style or just wasn't a very good book. Cloying, overly sentimental, and yet somehow entirely too detached from reality and emotions. I can't remember exactly when I gave up on it but I really hope that what was a misfire for me will be enjoyable for someone else.