The Delusion

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Nov 2018

The Delusion was an amazing read. I didn't expect to love it, but I could hardly put the book down. It made me think about things differently and was just so creepy! I loved the characters and liked that there really wasn't a heavy romance story (or at least romance wasn't the main focus). It was good for a change.

I could really feel for the MC. It would be so weird to be able to see things that no one else sees. No one believes you and yet you know what you see. It was interesting how the demons and spiritual warfare were written. I could actually believe the plot, as it wasn't far-fetched. Read the book and you will see what I mean.

All in all, I loved The Delusion and recommend it. If you are a fan of Frank Peretti or Ted Dekker, I think you will enjoy this book. I can't wait for the next one!

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Holy moly. This book was on my kindle and being as I had some time at work to read, I decided to read a few chapters. Uh, yeah. I found myself deep in the book, time passed and I was unaware. The book was that good. It was fascinating. Terrifying. Eye opening.

The book is a story about Owen Edmond. He lives in Texas and goes to Masonville High School. But there is a strange thing going on with all the suicides occurring. He meets a man in a field who encourages him to drink water from the well on his land. He does so, and finds himself in a disturbing new reality. Everyone around him has shackles around their necks and long chains. Needless to say, Owen finds this extremely disturbing. But what is worse, he is the only one who can see any of this. His sharing what he see’s to a few people leads them to believe that he is having a psychotic episode. Finally, he realizes what he is seeing.

Again, this book has me enthralled. It has been a long time since I have read a book that capture my attention for such a long time. I was there with Owen experiencing what he was seeing, while trying to make sense of it all.

My kudo’s to the author, Laura Gallier, in successfully weaving a tale of good and evil, to the point where I want to stay on the good side. I think this should be a must-read for many teenagers and even adults. For me, it opens my eyes to a different perspective to life.

I did receive this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
I liked the writing style but the genre was not what i would pick for myself. I dozed off on so many parts, even though the book is not very big i still felt like the story was a bit dragged. The plot for me was too predictable and i hated that i was right!
Ever felt down, weak, worthless, unhappy? Maybe what you feel is a joy unspeakable, or peace beyond all understanding… What if those feelings were caused by more than meets the eyes? The Bible tells us that a cosmic battle of unimaginable proportions is taking place in the heavenly realms and we can’t ignore it: the forces of good and evil constantly at war.

But what does it look like? What role do we play in the midst of it? Laura Gallier’s The Delusion shows us, through the life of Owen, a high school senior, what it may be like, and gives us chills as we read of the dark forces at work in the world. Many elements in the work of fiction can be connected to Bible truths and inspire us to be more on guard about the evil activities destroying lives around us. It also reminds us of the overwhelming power and authority that Christ followers have in the face of the enemy.

While it is at times dark and slightly heavy, it is much needed today, considering the success of Thirteen Reasons Why, a hit series that seems to glorify suicide without offering much hope. Author Laura Gallier doesn’t leave the solution up in the air, it is quite clear where one needs to turn to be freed from their chains.

The Delusion offers proper entertainment, but also a necessary boost for your faith and your prayer life. If you are anything like me, you won’t want to put it down.
By March of Owen Edmonds’s senior year, eleven students at Masonville High School have committed suicide. Amid the media frenzy and chaos, Owen tries to remain levelheaded—until he endures his own near-death experience and wakes to a distressing new reality.
The people around him suddenly appear to be shackled and enslaved.
Owen’s heart-pounding journey through truth and delusion will force him to reconsider everything he believes. He both longs for and fears the answers to questions that are quickly becoming too dangerous to ignore.

When I began this book, I wasn't looking for much beyond a good story. I also didn't realize this was a book intended for the YA audience. So, while it may not have been exactly the kind of book I was looking for, as a former high school English teacher, I believe this book has merit, especially for the YA audience. The story is gripping both in the content, but also in how it moves through time. The characters are complex and it isn't until the end you get the entire story. But, most importantly, the content and issues are real and relevant. I think this book could lead to many great discussions about suicide, life as modern teenager, relationships with the opposite gender, mental health, school shootings and spiritual warfare. Those potential conversations are what lead me to recommend this book to YA readers and those in their lives. It could really make a difference.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided you with a complimentary copy of this book
Categorized as Young-adult fiction, The Delusion, it deals with current real-life teen issues and helps them make connections with deep feelings about relationships, family ties, adult expectations, abuse, suicide and their search for spirituality and acceptance. Ms. Gullier did a superb job of writing about believable characters and offered up an engaging plot that keeps the reader going right through to the end.