The Lucky Ones

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jun 2017

I have yet to be disappointed by Mark Edwards. Always well written and I gobbled this one up as per usual.

On this occasion victims are turning up in idyllic beauty spots in the English countryside. They're all found with a smile on their face, as if their dying moments were also their happiest. Detective Imogen Evans, (who I also spotted in A Murder of Magpies, liking the connections Mark!) is on the trail of a serial killer and after a lot of delving it would seem that everything leads back to returned local Ben Hofland, but how?

Another great story from Mark. Like I say, I've yet to be disappointed. Well written, nice pace and likeable characters. 4 stars

I read The Devil's Work by Mark Edwards and was blown away. It was such a fabulous story. So, I was curious to see how the next book would turn out. I chose to listen to this book at work and I found that was an excellent choice. The narrator Simon Mattacks was great!

There are three parallel POVs in the book. We get to follow single dad Ben Hofland as he tries to bring his life back on track after his wife left him for another man. And old friend of his as it seems which not makes Ben bitter at all. We also got Detective Imogen Evans POV as she tries to catch a killer. And, of course, we have the killers POV. All this makes this book pretty thrilling to read. Trying to figure out who...

See Full Review
Having read a book previously by Mark Edwards and loving it, I was keen to read this one.

Another 5 star book for me, a great thriller with a twist I didn't see coming.

Highly recommended, I can't wait to read more books from this author.
Just when you think Mark Edwards can't improve his writing, he just do..... This was a brilliant novel, and I honestly see the ending coming.  Well done, can't wait to read the next one!
Mark Edwards is one of my 'go to' authors. I am always guaranteed a good read with his books. Recommended as ever!

The Lucky Ones leans a bit more towards the crime thriller genre but in saying that there were enough psychological elements, paranoia, tension, red herrings to make this an unsettling but compelling read. Craftily-plotted Mark Edwards has a real talent for telling a story and keeping the reader guessing right to the very last moments which make his novels a joy to read.

The story is told from three POV Detective Imogen Evan’s, Ben and from diary entries of the killer, now sometimes this can make all the difference to a read , when done badly it can make a read seem disjointed and I find my interest tends to wane, But fortunately Mark Edwards manages to do go between the three seamlessly...

See Full Review

Oh Mark Edwards….how you have got me hooked again! An amazing intriguing read. Totally not how I thought it was going to be like. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I am not sure there are any of his books that I haven’t to be honest, and this one did not disappoint.

I love his style of writing and this book just pulls you in slowly, slowly then BANG he hits you with a cracker of a twist or a turn.

This is a story about Ben, who you are routing to be happy from the offset and it looks like finally the troubled dad is set to finally become just that, happy……but at what cost? When there is a serial killer lurking and tension in his village is raised can anyone find out who killer is before it’s too...

See Full Review

THE LUCKY ONES by author Mark Edwards, is a change from his gritty dark psychological thrillers, to a crime novel/police procedural/ psychological thriller. I feel spoiled have always loved his dark psychological thrillers that screw up your brain, but being the talented writer that he is, he made this combination work. I guess I just favour his dark psychological thrillers.

It was the happiest day of her life. Little did she know it was also the last.

When a woman’s body is found in the grounds of a ruined priory, Detective Imogen Evans realises she is dealing with a serial killer—a killer whose victims appear to die in a state of bliss, eyes open, smiles forever frozen on their faces.
...

See Full Review
Another gripping psychological thriller from Mark Edwards, with his trademark themes of hidden secrets, danger lurking just around the corner, and emotional upheaval in the family life of our protagonist. Add to that a spooky house in the woods and a serial killer, and you have all the ingredients for a can't put down novel that grabs you by the throat!
It's no secret that I am bsessed with all of Mark Edward's books, and this new addition did not disappoint! Will definitely recommend.
Mark Edwards does it again. The premise of this book is an intriguing one, but one that works extremely well. The characters are believeable and well written and, as usual with a Mark Edwards book, it keeps you guessing right till the end. This is another book that I will be recommending to a lot of people at work.

Thank you to Mark Edwards, Thomas & Mercer and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

It was the happiest day of her life. Little did she know it was also the last.

A few miles away, single dad Ben Hofland believes his fortunes are changing at last. Forced to move back to the sleepy village where he grew up following the breakdown of his marriage, Ben finally finds work. What’s more, the bullies who have been...

See Full Review

Not nearly as dark, twisty or disturbing as per Marks usual writing style yet a solid and gripping read nonetheless. I personally think it's a nice change however I am optimistic he will combine the two elements of horror/suspense along with police/crime thriller rather than separating future books by one or the other of these genres.

I really liked Detective Imogen Evans and remain hopeful that this is the start of a series. She's certainly got something about her to be able to carry her through at least three or four more (please Mark?!) 🙂

While some people find the switch of narrative between different people's points of view frustrating I personally find that it added...

See Full Review
Twisted and un-putdownable. Mark Edwards has done it again!
A traditional, mainstream police procedural with a sadistic serial killer. Edwards' writing is excellent, and while this wasn't my favorite novel by the author, I would still recommend The Lucky Ones and all his other books to readers searching for an excellent crime thriller.
While I really enjoyed this book I can't help but compare it to his other solo ventures.  This book just didn't have the same appeal to me as his last couple but was still a very solid read.
The twist, the ending, wow. Great stuff!
This man just gets better and better. Excellent book as expected. Ready for the next 1! Please??

Here we have a villain who punishes people if they've been good and also if they've been bad too - there's just no pleasing some people! The killer ensures people are at their most happiest, then they die and Imogen Evans has to work fast to ensure no one else suffers the same fate, so there is much toing and froing across the lovely county of Shropshire. Definitely a thriller, a thriller with lots of suspense to keep everyone gripped. Every time I thought I knew whodunnit, it turns out I didn't. Loved the story and twist at the end. Not a book for a work commute as you might just forget to get off so make sure you have plenty of time because once started, you will...

See Full Review
This was just an okay read, nothing special. There was enough action to keep it from being boring. It just didn't grab my attention.
Another great read by Mark Edwards, though not as compelling a story as The Magpies.