Then She Was Gone

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jan 2018

My first 5 star review of the year, and boy oh boy, did this book deserve it!

Then She Was Gone is told mainly from Laurel's point of view, the mother of missing Ellie, who disappeared at the tender age of fifteen. However, we also get glimpses into Ellie's character as some of the chapters are told from her point of view. We hear from Ellie before she disappears, and then again later in the story. I loved the alternating points of view, and the move between first and third person narration.

This read really got under my skin, and some of the chapters creeped me out. I felt for Ellie's family after her disappearance, especially for her mother who fell apart, and then who...

See Full Review
One word - obsessed! I literally could not put this book down and when I physically had to I could not stop thinking about it. This book will have you gripped literally from the first chapters and you just will not believe what happens! I cannot recommend this book enough .

Firstly, thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me a copy of this novel in return for an honest review.

The plot: In 2005, Ellie Mack disappears of the face of the earth. a straight A student with a bright future ahead of her, just about to sit her GCSE's, Ellie has everything to live for. But one day she takes herself off to her local library to study. Ellie never makes it to the library. Convinced something has happened to her, mum Laurel never gives up hope on Ellie. Until her remains are found in Kent some 10 years later. Finally, with closure, Laurel begins to move on with her life. By chance, she meets Floyd in her local cafe, who captures Laurel's...

See Full Review

Sometimes you hear a lot of great things about a book, buy it, start it and then wonder what’s wrong with you because you just don’t get the hype. Well not in this case, I loved this book and it’s a definite 5 stars from me and I think I’m hard to please when it comes to awarding that five stars. I read it in a day, I didn’t want to rush it but I had to find out what happened. I just couldn’t put it down. I found the author’s writing flowed so well and I loved the characters she created, both good and bad. I found it a very emotional read and tragic in places. The story is told in five parts and various character’s stories are told in different chapters. I highly recommend this book and as...

See Full Review

I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Then She Was Gone’ by Lisa Jewell. The premise of the story is a well-used one, as both male and female readers alike could not help but empathise with Laurel’s pain at one of a parent’s biggest nightmares becoming a reality; fifteen year old Ellie Mack leaves her house one day, and disappears. Her mother’s grief is real, raw and deeply felt. Laurel’s other relationships suffer, her marriage ending in divorce and her other two children paling into insignificance beside the all-encompassing grief of her loss.

The story is told from several points of view, including that of the lost child, Ellie, and Lisa Jewell maintains a feeling of unease throughout the telling of...

See Full Review

A disturbing story of a fifteen year old girl who goes missing. Ellie is a bright 15 year old and the apple of her mothers eye, so when she goes missing her mothers world is torn apart. Her parents separate and her mothers relationship with her remaining children is far from a close one. Ten years past and when laurel thinks she will never be happy again she meets a man and begins to see just a glimmer of light in her life. With meeting said man comes his two daughters, eldest daughter SJ and youngest Poppy who shares and uncanny resemblance to Ellie. Laurels World is once again rocked as she pieces together the pieces of events that link the new people in her life with her beloved deceased...

See Full Review
I really enjoyed this book.  It was well written, full of mystery  and intrigue.  I loved the plotting, which kept me guessing and I will read anything by Lisa Jewell.  She has become another go to favourite author.
After coming across Lisa Jewell a couple of years ago I knew this was going to be a gem.

"A girl missing and a buried secret" the tagline that speaks for itself. The characters were believable, the only thing was I worked the whole twist out so early on 😦 BUT that didn't take away the fact that the story was believable and also shocking!

4 stars and would definitely recommend this to anybody who enjoys a good thriller or crime novel
OHMIGOSH!!! This book!! Just phenomenal! Fast-paced, breathtaking, sad, creepy.

This is a new level of brilliant from one of my favourite authors! A big change from her earlier fluffier, happy-ever-after rom-coms, Then She Was Gone is dark. It will draw you in and hold you by the throat until the very last word. It's unrelenting and sad, unlike any other book I have ever read.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Have read a few of Lisa's books and have enjoyed them - loved this one it was a great pageturner! Ellie was 15 when she went missing one day no one knows where - it broke her family apart. The story is set 10 years later she is still missing - it follows her mother Laurel as she comes to terms with not knowing where she is and how meeting a man in a cafe starts the mystery to unravel. I was hooked and there are enough twists to keep you engrossed!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this.

Ten years ago, Laurel Mack had three childeren, a husband, a life; but when daughter Ellie mysteriously vanished without trace, her life fell apart. Now living alone in a tiny flat and with little relationship with her two remaining children, Laurel receives the news for which she has been waiting for years. Parts of Ellie’s body have been found. Ellie is never coming home.

Trying to move on with some sort of life, Laurel meets and starts to date a man, one who has two daughters. She also attempts to build a better relationship with her other daughter, Hanna, who is secretive and hostile.
Being with Floyd is not withou t its problems but Laurel comes to love his younger daughter, Poppy, a...

See Full Review

Fifteen-year-old Ellie is the light of her mother's life. Ellie is smart, cheerful, confident and also very much in love. One day she disappears and the police can't find any trace of her. Ellie's mother Laurel doesn't think her daughter ran away, she's convinced something happened to Ellie. Is she right? What happened on the day her daughter didn't come home?

Laurel has never given up on her golden child and is still looking for clues many years later. She hasn't moved on and this has cost her dearly. Laurel is divorced and has a difficult relationship with her other children. Is it time for Laurel to let Ellie go? When Laurel meets Floyd she...

See Full Review
An enjoyable read.  Darker in parts than i expected it to be but I had not read any others before from this author.  It is a story of a families loss and how years later the mother by a seemingly bazaar turn of events is about to find out the truth about her daughters disappearance.
A sad(ish) ending but a better book for it.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. Some bits of it I worked out quickly, but other details I had to wait to read in this gripping book. I will be recommending this book to my book loving friends, and I shall also check out other books by this author.
I loved this book and read it in one sitting.
The premise was a missing child which has obviously been done before but Lisa Jewell has given a whole new take.
Laurel and Paul’s marriage broke up after their daughter Ellie went missing. Laurel then meets Floyd and begins to see the chance for a new relationship. Then she meets his 9 year old daughter. The story is written from the four main characters point of view including Ellie.  The story is written both in the present and past as you begin to discover what happened to Ellie.
I was engrossed from the first page and will be looking to read Lisa Jewell’s next book.
I have been reading Lisa Jewell books for 20 years, since the first one, Ralph's Party and loved this book as much as al the previous ones . Great characters, hooked from the beginning and kept me gripped until the end! Looking forward to the next one!
Wow what a read. Such an unputdownable read that I completely devoured. A dark, moving, heart-stopping book that put me through so many emotions reading it. It broke my heart but I was completely engrossed in this book from start to finish. I loved it. Highly recommend!!
I absolutely loved this book, it was a definite page-turner, I literally couldn't put it down and read it in a day.

Great psychological thriller and a very worthy 5 stars from me.

Highly recommended!
This is the best thriller I’ve read from the pen of Lisa Jewell.
I've always loved Lisa Jewell and though I'm not the biggest fan of thrillers it's interesting to watch her change direction. Although I guessed the twist, Lisa's writing kept me wanting to read, determined to find out if I was right.