Then She Was Gone

Pub Date   |   Archive Date Not set

I was interested in reading this book as I couldn't remember if I read it when it was first published! As so many others have said, it has a brilliant opening line that sucks the reader in with the promise of a wonderful story, but I must admit I felt cheated by the ensuing tale with its complicated flashbacks and timeline. I still can't remember if I've read it before, but I won't be reading it again.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for sending me an ARC of "Then she was gone" by Lisa Jewell. This book is written with a slightly different perspective than the usual psychological thriller template. You know from quite early on where the plot is heading. However this doesn't make the book any less of a page turner, as with each page turn, the story unravels slowly along with the intreague of the whys and hows.. There were a couple of instances where the story went into some chilling detail which really drew the reader into the sombreness of the situation. I particularly liked the epilogue, a brilliant finishing touch.

The narrative goes back and forth between the present day and the past, and is told from the perspective of four different characters, at different times throughout the book, although mainly from the pov of Laurel and Ellie. As a reader it's not at all difficult to keep on track, the perspectives don't keep changing continually, but rather gently weave in and out. Other than that, Then She Was Gone, is an enjoyable suspenseful read, filled with characters with shady secrets and questionable pasts. There are many emotional parts with plenty of moving moments. The book has some twists and turns, but I think I may have read so many books of this genre, that I was able to see where the...

See Full Review
Excellent well written read. I was drawn in immediately and couldn't put it down. Lisa Jewell is definitely a go to author. Very consistent work.
Wow this was good. Twists and turns, but all very readable and exciting. Highly recommended

Wow, what can I say about Then She Was Gone that will give the book and the fabulous Lisa Jewell some justice. The short answer is I can't. There's so much I want to say about this book but I can't in fear of spoiling it for somebody. It was disturbing, bizarre and truly shocking that made me love every second of every page. I've been a huge fan of Lisa's writing since I first read Ralph's Party several years ago but this was my first read of a psychological thriller she has written. I am so glad she has ventured into this genre as she is brilliant at writing a thriller. Ellie Mack is a fifteen year old who has a bright future, she's about to study for her GCSE exams but she...

See Full Review

Then She Was Gone is a masterful blend of chilling human cruelty, suspense, tenderness, sadness and even hope. It's fresh, in that it isn't gory or violent, but gripping in a shockingly horrible way yet still shows signs of redemption too. Completely unexpected. I was touched by the ending and cried. Ok, that may sound pretty random but I've just finished the book and feel very close to it, so let's start from the beginning... Then She Was Gone follows two tracks; current day happenings in the life of Laurel, mother to Ellie who disappeared without a trace 10 years ago, and the events that unfolded 10 years ago that brought us to Ellie's vanishing act. The dynamic between the characters...

See Full Review
Thank goodness I can always rely on Lisa Jewell. I have been in a reading slump, not really enjoying anything I am reading for a while. Knew I could pick up Lisa's latest and get straight into it and I was right. Fantastic read that gripped me from the first page and did not stop until I had devoured the whole thing. I have always loved this author and she never disappoints. Every book is better than the last!

This is the first Lisa Jewell book I have read – and it was rather good. Laurel's 15 year old daughter Ellie had disappeared between her home and the library some 10 years earlier. Laurel's perfect life was never the same after that. She never believed that Ellie had simply run away just before her exams. Ellie was a good student, seemed happy. She now lived alone, her grown up children living their own lives, her husband had moved out and was now living with a new partner. Ellie's disappearance had a devastating effect on the whole family and Laurel's relationships with her husband and remaining children. However one day a man enters a cafe where Laurel is having lunch. They...

See Full Review
I've read all of Lisa Jewell's books and have enjoyed them all. This one did not disappoint. There were so many twists and turns throughout this book and I really enjoyed how the story grew and developed. I didn't want to put it down until I got to the end.
A page-turning read and I couldn't put it down. Through enjoyed this book and would highly recommend this author.
A gripping psychological thriller that will have you reeling at the end. I couldn't put this one down and I loved the dark sinister tone of the book. If you are a fan of Gone Girl then this book is definitely for you.
So gripping! Really enjoyed this book and have recommended it to lots of people already. Kept me guessing all the way through and I whizzed through it very quickly. Looking forward to the next book from Lisa...
This book should come with a tissue warning...... as in you will need a lot of them! Wow - what a story - this was such a fascinating read! I couldn't put it down but then in parts i had to as I couldn't see the words through my tears! Every parents nightmare and the trauma of it all........ a real rollercoaster! I thought as i was reading it that i kind of knew where the story was going but gosh - i did not expect the ending i got. Really well written and a definite thought provoker!
A gripping, tense read that kept me guessing. Many thanks for the ARC.

Then She Was Gone is a much darker novel by Lisa Jewell than I think she has written before. In parts it is quite harrowing at times which is certainly a move away from the 'chick lit' title that she was once branded with - no one could call this book 'chick lit'. Our central character is Ellie, a teenage girl with her whole life ahead of her. One day Ellie disappears and no one knows where or why she has gone. Her family live in hope of finding her, but as the years go by, this hope begins to fade. When they find her bag buried in woodland they know that they must accept the truth that Ellie won't be coming back. Ellie's mum is Laurel, a woman who built her whole life around Ellie...

See Full Review
A sneaky story that that starts off normally and gradually gets more twisted in both the story-line and the characters' behaviour. It takes some elements from news stories and uses them to great advantage by turning them into something different. Loved it!
I enjoyed this book, the first one I have read by Lisa Jewell but will read more. Nicely written with believable characters and a good plot. Thank you to NetGalley and Cornerstone Digital publishers for letting me read this in exchange of a review. I will be putting this review on Amazon and Goodreads.
This is the first book I have read by Lisa Jewell and it certainly won't be the last. Why it has took me so long to read anything by this author I will never know. Hooked from the start. The disappearance of Ellie Mack, daughter of Laurel and Paul Mack contributes to the breakup of their marriage. Laurel meets Floyd Dunn, in a chance meeting in a coffee shop. What developed from this chance meeting, I had no idea where this storyline was going and was astounded as to where it went! Very creepy psychological thriller.
Very good read. Really enjoyed this book. Good thriller