Nice Try, Jane Sinner

Pub Date   |   Archive Date 09 Jan 2018

It took me a little bit to get into the journal format- but Jane's dry sarcasm helped. :) I'll champion any book that tackles mental health issues and makes them a regular part of life, which this book does. Jane attempts suicide and drops out of high school. She begins her new lease on life by enrolling in Community College and entering a reality show where she lives in a youtube filmed home with other students as she attempts to win a car. This reads like a play and I think teens will love it.
I really enjoyed this story. I'm not a big fan of reality TV, but I found it an interesting setting for the story and as a way to help the character grow. I also liked the formatting of the dialogue, more like a script than using quotation marks. I found Jane relatable and real and I was invested in her story. I also throughly disliked Marc, I don't know how anyone could live with him! :)
The style of this book made for a fast furious read - I couldn't put it down! The script style gave you a very real feel for the events as they unfolded. Some of the themes are pretty serious, but the contrast of those themes coexisting in a Facebook/YouTube/reality show world makes for a whole picture of who Jane is, and how she grows over the course of a few months. If she were a real reality star, she'd probably have an international following. I recommend this book.

A ton of interesting ideas in Nice Try, Jane Sinner. The story centers on an older teen who must complete her diploma at a community college after a suicide attempt, while readjusting to life outside a strict religious upbringing and a complicated relationship to family and best friends. Oelke seems to capture what it would be like to live in a Big Brother-style reality tv setting, and how hard it can be to define yourself after going through such a life-changing experience. While using the framing device of the journal could be a good way to experience Jane's voice unfiltered, its use could feel imbalanced. We experience too much through an imaginary psychologist, and are purposefully left...

See Full Review

Content warnings: Suicide, depression DISCUSSION OF MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES Despite it not being mentioned until halfway through the book, a major theme is Jane's suicide attempt. Though it's not discussed until halfway through the book, I'm not marking this as a spoiler because, to be frank, mental health is not a spoiler. And the book still held up with me knowing about the attempt going in, which proves it wasn't one of those "just a plot twist" discussions of suicide. Which I'm eternally grateful for. Jane's struggles with herself, her parents, and her little sister mirrored my own experiences with depression. Jane is discovering her identity, something depressed people can struggle...

A character you can root for! Full review on Goodreads
I was unfortunately unable to download this book to my kindle to review.
I was in the mood for a funny YA book and this book really hit the spot! I loved the way that Jane's story was written. The journal type writing was fantastic. The characters were well developed, and Jane was relatable. Definitly recomend this one!
I wasn't sure what to think about this book at first because of the writing format...since it's a script format. But I feel like it really worked for this case! I read this book extremely fast but it was so much fun! It's funny, dramatic, serious, and sad at times but totally worth the journey! I love how sassy and authentic the main character is. Definitely laugh out loud funny at times and hitting you in the feels other times. Would definitely recommend this book for others to read!
I'm very sorry. When I requested this title, I didn't realize it was not available for download to Kindle. I will not be able to review this title.
Well, it looks like you can't read this kind of file on a kindle. Sorry, I was looking forward to reading something funny, but I will not be able to review if I cannot open the file. If you are able to send in a different format, I'd still be happy to give it a go.
I REALLY enjoyed this one. It's a mix between big brother and a contemporary story, which I loved because Big Brother is one of my favorite tv shows.

**I received an ARC from NetGalley** For reasons that are later revealed to the reader, Jane Sinner chooses to finish out high school in a program sponsored by the local community college. An institution so desperate to be cool they change their mascot to the HashTags and the third most popular group on campus is the McNugz Club (eat 20 nuggets in 20 minutes to get in). Jane is also desperate to change things up in her life and to move out from under her hyper-religious parents roof, so she applies to be a contestant on a new reality show, House of Orange, filmed by a group of students. Competing for glory (and a five year old used car), she is determined to be the last one standing...

See Full Review
Great, fresh voice and an entertaining book. I'll be purchasing this one for my classroom library! Jane Sinner is a memorable, layered character and the reader roots for her despite everything. I really enjoyed this book and I'll look forward to more from this author.
This book was well written and the main character, Jane, had a strong voice and backstory. However, the reality TV plot was not as believable or engaging as I would have liked. Maybe this book would go down better with reality TV fans.
I was sent a copy of this from the publisher. I was very excited for this one. However; I could not get into the writing style and format. This may be due to getting this for my Kindle and having to format it since it was not Kindle friendly. It was hard to follow and I did not like how conversations were listed with headings of the character more than a dialogue. I may try reading this more on my computer since the formatting may be better. I just could not get into it.

As always, thank you to the publisher for letting me read Nice Try, Jane Sinner in advance for an honest review. I first heard of Nice Try, Jane Sinner a while back after hearing one of my favourite BookTubers mention it in one of their videos and I was instantly intrigued by the premise: this girl, expelled from high school, agrees to go to college as long as she can move out of home and then ends up moving into House of Orange, a student-run reality show. I just knew it was something I had to read. Trigger warnings for depression and suicide, although I wouldn’t say that they are the main focus of the story. Jane is one of the most refreshing main characters I’ve read in a...

See Full Review

Nice Try, Jane Sinner is a quirky, fantastic novel. I read a lot of YA and I don't think I've ever encountered such a unique narrator/protagonist who both infuriates readers and makes them fall in love with her. Jane's life is not going as planned. After a recent EVENT Jane is expelled from high school and her only choice to graduate is to enroll in her local community college. In an attempt to figure it all out and move out of her parent's house, she signs up to participate in a reality TV show with a chance to win a car and a college scholarship. As you may imagine, this isn't necessarily a sound plan but Jane weathers the bumps in the road and the unexpected consequences of her actions...