Nice Try, Jane Sinner

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2018

Wow, wow, wow I loved this book.

It was humorous in a dry wit/sarcasm kind of way, and I loved it. Jane Sinner is such a magically fantastic and hilarious character that it kept me reading, even when the parts were boring.

This book has such a unique format! It's written as if it was a journal by Jane Sinner, and Jane Sinner herself is creating these little "script" play things that describe dialogue and it's just such an interesting format that it kept me reading. It really also helped me to distinguish who the character were, and I feel like since it was in a script format Lianne was able to pull off such a witty description of each character by mere dialogue.

I loved this book.
This book is fantastic. It's rare to see YA based in college settings but I really enjoyed how this was portrayed. Also the dry witty humour was brilliant and really helped alleviate some of the darker topics addressed.
An interesting take on the unlikable female heroine in a YA world.
I didn't expect to enjoy this book that much. Between Jane's cynical personality and the improbable situations she finds herself into due to House of Orange, this book is a light, fun read, with a nice side of feelings Jane would be so annoyed at. I had a hard time putting it down each time I had to get back to the real world. Definitely a great read.

Most of the focus of the story is the reality show. High school dropout enrolls in community college to finish her credits, lies about her age to get herself on a Big Brother reality TV show in order to move out of her parents' place, all so she can reinvent herself.
I really liked the journal style format, easy to read. I really loved how Jane’s depression was represented in the story, Jane really starts to question her beliefs and that changes her entire outlook on life. I like that we get to see Jane’s own process of recovery.
Nice Try, Jane Sinner was a good book. The book explores very difficult topics such as family and friend relationships, suicide, mental illness and...

See Full Review

HILARIOUS. Nice Try, Jane Sinner is hands down one of the funniest YA books I've ever read. Just imagine a YA version of the Big Brother reality TV show, but on a smaller scale and more of a chaotic mess. It is told through Jane Sinner's journal entries (which didn't feel like reading a journal at all) as she navigates the dingy halls and cameras of the House of Orange!

What I Liked:

I'm not usually a fan of books told in diary format (they are usually more miss than hit for me) but author Lianne Oelke did an explendid job with Jane Sinner's written thoughts! It truly felt as if we were there with Jane Sinner, going through all the horrific (but laugh-out-loud)...

See Full Review

17 year old Jane Sinner should be enjoying her senior year of high school, but a traumatic incident has her constantly looking over her shoulder and second guessing the furtive glances of her classmates making it impossible for her to emotionally face their suppositions. Thus begins Nice Try, Jane Sinner where the author, Leanne Oelke, provides an interesting option for a main character suffering with depression and other mental health issues. Constantly skipping school, however, is not one of the acceptable choices, so by mutual agreement an alternative is suggested - a special program at the local community college where she can finish up high school and even take some college classes...

See Full Review
I went into the this book with fairly low expectations, after all it was basically being sold as a send up of Big Brother. As I started reading though I realized it was so much more, yes there is a community college produced reality TV show that helps to drive the narrative but it works beautifully. The characters, even the ones who are supposed to be one-dimensional still have depth and as a reader I was drawn in wanting to see how all of this would play out, if Jane would win, and ultimately what effect the outcome would have on her. It is a great book I would recommend it to older teens and new adults.

HIS BOOK WAS SUCH A SURPRISE!

First of all, I loved reading a book set in Canada. A big plot point is the age of legal alcohol consumption, which in Canada is 18. It really brought back my own high school days. I grew up in Southeast Michigan, only about 45 minutes drive from Ontario, Canada. This was back before a passport or special license was required to cross over the border and my classmates would drive up to Canada where they could legally imbibe. It’s nice to know that the lengths people will go through to drink legally haven’t changed since I was in high school.

Jane Sinner might be one of my favorite characters in all of literature. She’s deep and layered and interesting. She...

See Full Review

Jane Sinner, 17, enters a small reality tv show at her school and she's about to get more than what she bargained for.

I don't even know where to begin but I fell in love with this book so fast. I really related to Jane and I just loved her so much.

This book made me laugh so hard but also made me cry a lot... I was rooting for Jane from beginning to end. I could not stop reading and read the entire book in less than a day.

I barely knew anything about this book when I started and I think that’s how you have to read this, you should just jump in…

The plot was so perfectly designed, I was mesmerized from beginning to end...

I will seriously be looking out for this author and...

See Full Review
This book is just a pass for me. I'm not into reality shows, so I just couldn't get into this one. And it is funny, just not enough to stick with it for me.
This is an unpopular opinion but I didn't love this book. I had super high expectations in this book. I DNF'd it around 50% and I just couldn't do it. I didn't enjoy the format of the book, and the characters were ok but I didn't care for them. I am sure many of you will relate to Jane, and there's definitely character development. However I wasn't interested in the "reality show"element, and I found a lot of the events very unrealistic for a contemporary.

Nice Try, Jane Sinner was an enjoyable read, I liked the premise but I had a hard time connecting with the characters. It was refreshing to read about students in college, even if Jane is still technically in high school. Jane did grow over the course of the book, and you see her transitioning from a teen to a young adult, dealing with issues that arise during that point of your life. I really loved Jane's relationship with her sister. The reality TV show aspect was what interested me from the start, and I really liked reading about the “behind the scenes” of being filed 24/7. Though this wasn't a big hit for me, I would recommend to readers who want to read about mental health...

See Full Review
Was a little difficult for me to read because English is not my native language so I didn't unterstand ervery word but in context it worked for me ; ). Nevertheless I really liked it.
Really enjoyed this book! I really enjoyed the fact that it had a main character dealing with religion but also at community college. Would recommend definitely!

Recovering from an initially unspecified "event", Jane Sinner is clearly not in good place. Expelled from school, her parents want her to continue her education, so she agrees to go to the local community college if, and only if, she can move out of home. Little do they know that in order to make ends meet on the rent front, she plans on joining a Big Brother-esque student house, where they are constantly filmed for an online TV show.
The show turns out to be a lot more successful than anticipated, in many ways due to Jane's amusing projects that she experiments on her housemates with. She's not a psychology student for nothing!
Pacy, with unexpected twists and turns...

See Full Review
DNF I'm not into reality shows, so I just couldn't get into this one. Maybe for others, it would be their jam. And it is funny, just not enough to stick with it for me.
Unfortunately I was unable to read and review the copy of Nice Try, Jane Sinnernthat I was sent because the file would not open on my computer or iPad. Given this I'm unable to comment on the contents of the book at all. I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for accepting me to review the book however. Hopefully I will not experience this problem again in the future.

I heard that Nice Try, Jane Sinner was funny, but I wasn’t expecting to fully enjoy it and laugh as hard as I did. From the very first page I caught myself laughing, and as the book went on, I thought it got better and better. If you need a book that’s going to make you have a laugh, think about things, and get fully immersed in a fantastic story with memorable characters, then Nice Try, Jane Sinner is the kind of book that you’ll want to lose yourself in.

“Ever have one of those days when all the shortcomings of your life come together to form one massive hole?”

Meet Jane Sinner – she’s seventeen, was expelled from high school before graduation, and at her parents’ insistence, she has...

See Full Review
This is an excellent and touching book. I'm not a huge contemporary fiction fan, but this was so funny! I loved the aspect of reality TV and wish there were more books like it of quality. I can't wait to read more from this author. Nice job, Lianne Oelke!