Nice Try, Jane Sinner

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2018

I've been looking to read more diversly recently, and this book added to this. Jane Sinner was such an incredible book, and I cannot wait to share it with everyone who I encounter.
I freaking loved this book! I don't think I was expecting to enjoy it as much as I did! Highly recommend!!
Thank you for the chance to review this book, however, unfortunately, I was unable to read and review this title before it was archived.

Actual Rating: 3.5.

There were things I absolutely adored about NICE TRY, JANE SINNER, and things that didn't quite hit the mark. I went into the book certain I'd love it. I'd heard it comped to the Jessica Darling series (in terms of voice and snarkiness) and I was so excited. For whatever reason, I didn't expect the journal format, and I didn't love it for this particular story. It wasn't as immersive as it could've been, and that felt like a wasted opportunity. The plot itself is my jam—I love reality TV shows like Big Brother (they're my guilty pleasure) and that whole aspect of the book is so unique and fun. For that alone, I loved it.

Jane was...

See Full Review

Nice Try, Jane Sinner is the story of a seventeen-year-old girl trying to figure herself out and sort of blundering through life as she does. She was expelled from highschool and decides to finished her required classes at the local community college. She also signs up for a student-run reality show called, The House of Orange, which is a bit like big brother. The show and it’s contestants are the source of a lot of shenanigans and Jane is a large source of sarcasm. Amidst the betrayal, chaos, and chicken nuggets Jane does manage to figure some things out and leave her past behind.

I first heard of Lianne Oelke last fall, during Raincoast Books Winter/Spring Preview. As a guest speaker she...

See Full Review

Even though I am not one to watch a lot of TV, I would have to be hiding in a cave not to know how popular reality television is right now. One of the shows that started the current trend is Big Brother, which has nearly fifty versions of the program running world-wide. But why do people want to be on such a show? Are they seeking fame or fortune? Are they just looking for attention? The main character in Nice Try, Jane Sinner, by Lianne Oelke, seems to be looking for a fresh start, and some independence, after a disastrous incident at her high school.

What I Liked:

Characters:

Jane is smart, funny, and also suffers from depression. She feels oppressed by her ultra religious...

See Full Review
I received an advance copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley.

I loved this book! It’s been awhile since I gave out 5 stars, but this one is well-deserved. Loved Jane, loved all the other beautifully flawed characters, and I loved watching them change. It’s a book that is witty, timely, thoughtful, and laugh-out-loud funny. I was sad to see it end.
I'm not even finished reading NICE TRY, JANE SINNER, but I couldn't contain myself to yell: I'M LOVING THIS BOOK! Seriously, with an opener... "No trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again." I knew I was goner for this book and Jane Sinner. Now, if you'll excuse me I have some more reading to do.
Jane is funny, inventive,  and snarky as she tries to win the House of Orange car.  A wonderful read.
Nice Try, Jane Sinner is as unique as it is relatable. In desperate need of independence, snarky Jane Sinner moves into the House of Orange, an amateur college reality show seemingly inspired by The Real World, where she uses her cynical wit and Psychology 101 tactics to prove to her budding fan base and to herself that she has what it takes to succeed. Jane is a complex protagonist who goes through a crisis of faith and identity, makes mistakes, fails, succeeds, and ultimately grows as a person. Her caustic, humorous voice is thought-provoking and compelling. Nice Try, Jane Sinner is a page-turner that I could not put down.
As I explained above, I downloaded this to my Bluefire Reader app back in October and then  went to read it today and got an error message about an expired license. So I requested it at the library and will hope to read it soon. Sorry that I didn't get to it in time!
3.5 stars. This was an average read for me. Nothing too standout positively or negatively in this book. However, I did actually like the journal format in this book (which I usually don't) and the talk about depression and recovery and how people can change. Overall, it kept me entertain and would recomend.

I recieved an Arc of this novel via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the opportunity to read and review Nice try, Jane Sinner by Lianne Oelke! The book opens with journal entries written by Jane, who is trying to move past a mysterious event involving James Fowler. Jane alludes to this event as she continues writing in her journal. She joins a reality show in the making, House of Orange, so she can move away from home and move on with her life. Eventually, we discover that James Fowler is the high school Jane was attending when she thought about ending her life and tried doing just that by jumping off a cliff. She wasn’t successful. She learns a great deal about herself while participating on House of...

See Full Review

Jane Sinner is the badass, snarky, brave, hilarious, and heartfelt heroine I didn't know I was looking for.

Part 'Community' mixed with a little 'Arrested Development', this is the story of Jane Sinner who, after a personal crisis and getting expelled from high school, decides, mainly to appease her parents, to finish her diploma at the local community college. She ends up signing on to be a contestant on a student run reality show, House of Orange, which solves her problem of where to live and give her the chance to start over where no one knows her or the truth about what happened in high school.

I loved this debut novel by local author Lianne Oelke. I...

See Full Review

Nice Try, Jane Sinner is so good! It’s all about… well Jane Sinner, a 17-year-old who’s trying to get out and do something, which leads her to a community college reality show that she sees as an opportunity to move out from home and start her independence. I will be completely honest and say this book didn’t hook me since the beginning, I think it was mainly because I read a very mysterious, engaging book about murders before this one, but I did end up liking it a lot.

Jane is really funny, and the things that happen to her, I found myself actually laughing as I read her story, she’s so sarcastic and ironic, I loved it. She earned her spot as my favorite character, I adored her...

See Full Review

I’d already been approved for the ARC of this book on NetGalley when I saw the announcement from Rockstar Book Tours for this blog tour, and I figured it would be fun to take part. I knew from the summary that Nice Try, Jane Sinner (NT,JS) was supposed to be humorous, and I thought it’d be a nice change since I usually do blog tours for YA sci-fi, fantasy, and historical fiction. I’m so glad I asked to participate, because I’m thrilled to be able to share with you just how much I love this book!

Because of the format the ARC was in, I couldn’t highlight and make notes on my Kindle, so I had to take notes manually (I almost always take notes and/or highlight or use page flags (lots and...

See Full Review

Jane Sinner. One name, so many levels.
And, we are lucky enough to be reading her thoughts firsthand.
Because this is her journal, where her deepest thoughts are being written under utter secrecy.

Jane's whole life has changed ever since the Event. And, the author delivers everything brilliantly.

Everything starts slowly and we only get glimpses here and there of her old life and what she used to be like.

In the beginning she seems like a tough to love girl, but she evolves as the plot thickens, and by the end of the story I couldn't help but have fallen in love with her.

The story starts speeding up after she starts participating in House of Orange, a big-brother-type...

See Full Review
This book was hard for me to read as I don’t enjoy the journal writing theme. However, in spite of that, which is only my opinion, I think this will be a big seller. It is funny, honest, thoughtful, original and simply a terrific story!

I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this book. Part of me really wants to love it because of all the references to Canada and places that not only I knew but I had also been before, but the other part of me felt like the story overall was carried at times by these references.

Thanks so much to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book. As always, all opinions are my own.

The story follows 17-year-old Jane Sinner who, after dropping out of her high school due to some personal issues, decides to start fresh at a new school, like her parents want. Her only request is that she can move out of their suffocating home. The only living situation Jane can afford is a...

See Full Review
I had a very hard time getting into this one. The conversation is printed as if you're reading a script for a play, an interesting concept for a novel...but it just felt awkward in it's execution.