Cover Image: Dragonfly Song

Dragonfly Song

This was  very engrossing story of the daughter of a priestess, abandoned due to a deformity. She lives an eventful life, though sad at times, becoming a Minoan Bull Dancer. I think YA's and adults will enjoy this story if they have an interest in the Bronze Age of Crete.
This is a beautifully satisfying book set thousands of years ago during the Bronze Age in the Mediterranean.
The gods have carved out a brutal destiny for Aissa. Discarded by her priestess mother upon her birth because of perceived imperfections, she was rescued by Kelya, a wise woman, and adopted into a loving goat herding family. She was orphaned at four when raiders killed her father and kidnapped her mother to sell into slavery. Following this she was dropped in the servant quarters and abandoned to the heartlessness of the other servants and considered a cursed child by them and other villagers. Eventually she was cast out and forced to survive on her own.
When she gets her wish to leave the island and become a bull dancer, she has no inkling of what horrors are in store for her and what she will have to overcome before she finds acceptance.
I liked so much about this novel. Wendy Orr has created a fabulous world to get lost in. I appreciated the map at the beginning of the book that helped understand the island more concretely. She's populated it with feasible characters. It's impossible not to care about Aissa as she struggles and triumphs through all her trials.
I must admit, I enjoyed this book, it is about a young girl who doesn't have a lot of luck growing up back thousands of years ago in Crete.  She is destined for more out of life then she starts out getting.  And so with this book we get some historical fiction with nice sprinklings of mythology on top, so I was always hopeful of a good read with these ingredients.

Why the dropped star.  From a personal point of view, and know others will give more credence or praise for this, but the regular sporadic use of poetry and verse put me off.  That's just me.  I also, and reason I selected this book was to share a little with my young son (8) as he loves anything with Greek mythology in it.  But he never got into or showed any interest, but aware this is aimed more at YA then him.

So a well written, interesting read and one that has introduced me to a good author I will keep an eye on.